What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

On 4/3/2019 at 12:12 PM, Jay said:

John Powell - Solo

I hadn't listened to this in months.  I like it, I enjoy it, but it always ends too soon.  The album is so action heavy, it's quite relentless, too.  I really hope this gets a proper complete score release (or leak) eventually.

Michael Giacchino - Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom

This score is so cool!  I love the blend of action material and horror type scoring.  I don't listen to many scores of that type but I really like what he does here.  The OST album misses many highlights heard in the film so this is another score deserving of an expansion or leak for sure.

Regarding Solo, I would have removed "The Adventures of Han" in favor of a non-action cue from the actual score. Otherwise, I dig it as is for how extroverted and enthusiastic it is.

With FK, the only missing cue I'd want is the rendition of the main theme during the first Ian Malcom scene. Otherwise, it's an excellent album that always breezes on by for me, somehow never feels like 76 minutes. The end credits suite is my favorite thing Giacchino's done so far in his career!

I actually don't listen to the Adventures of Han track in my playlist either.  I think the whole thing works much better starting out with Meet Han

For Fallen Kingdom there are tons more interesting bits of score in the film that aren't on the OST than just that one

Such as? Not disagreeing so much as can't remember most of them, and I've watched the movie several times! I know there's the rendition of the Williams theme during the "Remember the first time you saw a dinosaur?" scene, but eh, I think the album includes the two more interesting variations (Nostalgia-saurus and Volcano to Death). Plus I think the album plays perfectly as an isolated experience (saying as someone who heard the album before seeing the movie). It manages to not drag for me at all in its 76 minute runtime, any more would be Giacchino pushing his luck!

5 minutes ago, Jay said:

I actually don't listen to the Adventures of Han track in my playlist either.  I think the whole thing works much better starting out with Meet Han

Silly as it be, I love having my playlist end with Chicken in the Pot. As though in my world, the movie ends with Han and Chewie going to a party with singing French lesbians or something.

- Awesome rendition of the main theme from the first Jurassic World as Claire drives to the mansion after talking to Owen

- Awesome rendition of Owen's Rapor Squad theme as he is revealed to be on the plane and it takes off

- Pounding rendition of Wheatley's theme for a shot of the truck convoy, after the scene with the little compy in the store I think

- Another fun Owen theme rendition towards the end, before the auction scene I think

Lots of good stuff that didn't make the album recorded for this score!

Not deep or anything, but within all the dross composed for these ultra 4K HD docu's it stands as pretty varied and surprisingly thematic entry (it sounds a bit like the commercial stuff Horner did for 'Living in the Age of Airplanes' and such).

Wolfen by Craig Safan
Forever confused why this was tossed out in favor of Horner. It's cold, dark, wicked, menacing music...you know, how a horror film score should be? Ah well, at least he found opportunity to use some of this in the adequate horror anthology Nightmares (featuring evil video games, a giant rat battling an abusive condescending husband, Lance Henriksen, anti-smoking PSA, and gratuitous cat harm).

Priest by Christopher Young

Especially loving the final cue "A World Without End" the more I hear it. It's great music for driving home from work! 

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

That BTTF3 album is a gooooood album

I was most delighted by Presumed Innocent, a soundtrack I hadn't listened to in years.  Maybe not every single track is a winner, but that main theme REALLY grew on me by the end of the album.  Some really nice moody writing by Williams there.

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

was most delighted by Presumed Innocent, a soundtrack I hadn't listened to in years.  Maybe not every single track is a winner, but that main theme REALLY grew on me by the end of the album.  Some really nice moody writing by Williams there.

Definitely a great addition to the "C'mon, John, why don't you ever do anything with this theme?" selection. A lot of his 90's scores fit into that, now that I think about it. It must be his least-represented decade!

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Definitely a great addition to the "C'mon, John, why don't you ever do anything with this theme?" selection. A lot of his 90's scores fit into that, now that I think about it. It must be his least-represented decade!

Lockhart should've recorded it!

Titanic OST

It's been a while since I've listened to any film music. I threw this one on for the heck of it. It may not be Horner's best work, but I think it's a perfect album that musically summarizes the voyage.

well, aside from selections from the Music of John Barry Definitive Collection (at last a piece from They Might Be Giants), what with re-reading the book...

Raise the Titanic

best part of the movie. Always enjoy that triumphant sound as the Titanic breaks cover (yes, it was in the Prelude, Titanic Enters NY Harbour and end but in that particular track, what it accompanies, is the better part). Wish the film had been done vastly differently, RTT was the first Cussler book I ever read and I reread it most years. Maybe not Barry's best score but not his worst. 

Just now, Not Mr. Big said:

World War Horse :music:

Is that a score for a new Call of Duty game?

I'm thinking of going through The Last Jedi score after about a half year of not listening to it. Any recommendations on a listening experience blending the OST highlights with that of the FYC?

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Any recommendations on a listening experience blending the OST highlights with that of the FYC?

I think there's a general non-edited combo playlist recommended in The Last Jedi FYC thread. That's probably the best for that option. However, listening to the isolated score offers a lot more interesting material. I'd recommend that if you can find an edit somewhere. Otherwise the reccomended combo is your best bet.

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I think there's a general non-edited combo playlist recommended in The Last Jedi FYC thread. That's probably the best for that option. However, listening to the isolated score offers a lot more interesting material. I'd recommend that if you can find an edit somewhere. Otherwise the reccomended combo is your best bet.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot that the isolated score was a thing! 

9 hours ago, artguy360 said:

Been listening to John Barry's Out of Africa score. Some amazing string and woodwind writing. Sweeping, simple, and earnest.

My favourite Barry score. So glad I discovered this one.

1 hour ago, Sir Hilary Bray said:

On Her Majesty's Secret Service by John Barry

Another awesome one. Possibly the best Bond score.

A is for...

An Unexpected Journey by Howard Shore

Unfortunately, this the first of the Hobbit scores was never as appealing to me as the others. Nonetheless, it got better with each listen, just not to the heights of The Desolation of Smaug per se. My Dear Frodo remains a very solid prologue cue, and I've always loved the string entrance during the opening logos. But the thematic onslaught of the next 8 or so minutes is unprecedented, even for Howard Shore and Middle Earth. Shore wastes no time introducing the Erebor theme, Thorin's theme, Smaug's theme, the theme for the elves of the Woodland Realm, the motifs for the Arkenstone and Wilderland (I believe), and reprises of pre-existing Shire material. It's pretty amazing how much is quite well arranged into the opening minutes of score, serving as a precursor to rich thematic legacy of Shore's work on these films. 

The Misty Mountains receives a handful of lovely interpolations, and the first act or so is filled with many of the themes I already mentioned (i.e. Shire material, Bilbo's theme(s), dwarf-related themes). Highlight tracks include The Adventure Begins, Over Hill, An Ancient Enemy, Radagast the Brown and Riddles in the Dark. 

Radagast the Brown is a particularly interesting composition, mainly because of the unconventional orchestrations. I quite enjoy it, even though it might not be to everyone's tastes.

In conclusion I quite enjoy this score, even though I prefer the other two Hobbit scores to it. 

Aladdin by Alan Menken

Memorable songs (man, I really miss Robin Williams) and a very interesting score. I might have caught on to a few themes for Jafar and Aladdin, but aside from those I'd wager the rest of the score is non-thematic, so it stands pretty well without too much of that sort of support.

Pretty much the only prospect of these Disney live-action remakes in my opinion,  is a chance for us to see Menken revisit his scores and to potentially get more released on an album then we already have on an original release. A Legacy Collection continuation is needed for this score though, along with The Jungle Book, 101 Dalmatians, The Hunchback of Notre Dame and Mulan, among others.

A View to a Kill by John Barry

A very concise album, but it's a very good presentation of a few of my favourite arrangements of the Bond theme. I always liked the Guitar Riff in Snow Job and He's Dangerous, and the woodwinds that hearken to Barry's Out of Africa in the Stacey cues are top-notch.

I enjoyed this.

I've been taking in some Zimmer and Horner scores in lately.

Anyone else think Horner has that Irish influence in his music?

The Zimmer scores can be rather dark, but I must say Gladiator impresses me.

3 minutes ago, Ii2 said:

I've been taking in some Zimmer and Horner scores in lately.

The Zimmer scores can be rather dark, but I must say Gladiator impresses me.

I have not listened to a lot of Horner, but I've been trying to get a few titles under my belt. I couldn't really comment on anything outside of Titanic right now, and even that I'm not incredibly familiar with.

Zimmer on the other hand, holds a number of my favourite scores, namely Interstellar, Inception and the Pirates of the Caribbean saga. Ii, you might enjoy Crimson Tide.  Just a few recommendations.

Listened to a few OSTs from 2010

The Ghost Writer - Alexandre Desplat

True Grit - Carter Burwell

Knight & Day - John Powell

The King's Speech - Alexandre Desplat

Inception - Hans Zimmer

These are all great except Inception which makes me feel narcoleptic.  That might be appropriate for the film's subject, but it makes for seriously boring listening.

Ghost Writer and Knight & Day were the highlights.  Really cool soundtracks both of them.

1 minute ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I have not listened to a lot of Horner, but I've been trying to get a few titles under my belt. I couldn't really comment on anything outside of Titanic right now, and even that I'm not incredibly familiar with.

Zimmer on the other hand, holds a number of my favourite scores, namely Interstellar, Inception and the Pirates of the Caribbean saga. Ii, you might enjoy Crimson Tide.  Just a few recommendations.

It is very amusing that our posts went up at the same time

Just now, Disco Stu said:

It is very amusing that our posts went up at the same time

To each his own.

I can understand your point of view though. It's not for everyone.

As for those Desplat scores, thumbs up!

Just now, The Illustrious Jerry said:

To each his own.

I can understand your point of view though. It's not for everyone.

As for those Desplat scores, thumbs up!

Listen to Knight & Day if you're ever in the mood for a Powell score.  It's so much fun.

7 minutes ago, Ii2 said:

It is most definitely present, especially in the 90s and thereafter.

2 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I have not listened to a lot of Horner, but I've been trying to get a few titles under my belt.

Listen to The Rocketeer, Krull, and An American Tail as soon as you can.  

If I inhabited a world where all Horner scores were being thrown into a bonfire and I could only rescue one from a fiery demise, it'd be Land Before Time. But I would indeed mourn for Rocketeer, We're Back, An American Tail and Aliens.

The synthetic stuff in the doomed city can drive you up the walls, but what JG does with the whole thing thematically - a rising three-note figure virtually runs through every pore of this score, be it harsh action, questing soliloquies, the Zarathustra-opening, lullabies and so forth - is surely a master thesis in composition. Spotify put up the FSM, so there you have it (it ain't Air Force One, Superman or Titanic, so it might be a puzzling recommendation to some).

It's the 40th anniversary of the great film Manhattan this month.  This is the film and album that introduced me to Gershwin years ago, so I'll take any excuse to revisit it.

"New York was his town, and it always would be." cue the Rhapsody in Blue climax with fireworks

image.png

One more Barry, Walkabout.

A quietly beautiful score. They Might Be Giants is kind of similar I suppose but still would like some more tracks for that to come to light on CD. Read somewhere Barry left the score to someone else (Ken Thorne?) to arrange for the film. 

Superman the Movie by John Williams

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban (LLL set) by John Williams

13th Warrior by Jerry Goldsmith

Lair by John Debney and Kevin Kaska

Rambo III by Jerry Goldsmith

Pathfinder Kingmaker by Inon Zur et al.

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug by Howard Shore

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom. Never really gave the score a chance because the film left such a bad taste in my mouth. But I was a fan of his score for the first Jurassic World film.