What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Mean Tell No Tales by Geoff Zanelli

For a sequel score it's pretty solid, some enjoyable reprisals of previous themes and a really nice theme for the new female lead. The use of real percussion as opposed to synthesizers is a welcome change. Still not super "pirate-y" but it's definitely better than On Stranger Tides.

God of War :lovethis:

Maybe my favorite McCreary score at this point.  His compositional voice comes through so clearly throughout, and it's so evocative of that heightened mythological "epic" setting.  I love it!!  Almost every single track is a highlight cue for me.

This track is a suite of one of my favorite themes in the score.  The Stranger theme.  I want more people to give this soundtrack a shot!

7 hours ago, Incanus said:

Music from the Edge by John Corigliano: A beautiful album. I am glad Corigliano had an opportunity to release this unused score for The Edge of Darkness as it is a little gem that on album tells a very vivid l aural story of its own and feels very much like a concert work rather than a film score.

Indeed. And if I remember correctly, there is a good chunk of material that's derived from his percussion concerto.

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

God of War :lovethis:

Maybe my favorite McCreary score at this point.  His compositional voice comes through so clearly throughout, and it's so evocative of that heightened mythological "epic" setting.  I love it!!  Almost every single track is a highlight cue for me.

This track is a suite of one of my favorite themes in the score.  The Stranger theme.  I want more people to give this soundtrack a shot!

Agreed. A fantastic score. Although I vastly prefer the emotional and atmospheric pieces to most of the action tracks with the exception of Valkyries and Stone Mason and Deliverance.

18 hours ago, Incanus said:

Music from the Edge by John Corigliano: A beautiful album. I am glad Corigliano had an opportunity to release this unused score for The Edge of Darkness as it is a little gem that on album tells a very vivid l aural story of its own and feels very much like a concert work rather than a film score.

I was blown away by the track Pursuit

The Accidental Tourist by John Williams: Perhaps not the best fit for this warm and sunny spring day but it is such a lovely quietly lyrical if somewhat melancholy score.

Holy cow that's one of my favorite scores!  I listen to it much more than City Slickers 1's OST, though that's one of those 30 minute Varesers that will hopefully be expanded one day.  Though ultimately I think the sequel score is probably the more solid effort anyway.  Nice pull Stu!

Not great or anything, but surprisingly *piano* (it seems almost halting)  and lyrical/hymnical with few of these ear-piercing choo choo trains of relentless action stuff that characterizes Tyler or Jackman. There must be a lot of spandex tears in this one.

It's exactly what the film needs, but even against the film, it sounded awfully pedestrian/workman-like as music on its own. I don't intend on pursuing the album.

Tombstone by Bruce Broughton

Snow Falling on Cedars by James Newton Howard

1 hour ago, KK said:

It's exactly what the film needs, but even against the film, it sounded awfully pedestrian/workman-like as music on its own. I don't intend on pursuing the album.

That goes without saying. But from time to time, throw 'em a bone.

Oscar and Lucinda by Thomas Newman: Still one of Newman's loveliest creations. Interestingly the composer is never one to create a listening experience by editorially combining his short cues together and usually allows each of these to speak for themselves whether short or long. This score is a good example of how his brief film cues are and can be highly evocative, colorful and encapsulate a single emotion, atmosphere or dynamic in a brief minute or two long pieces and also form a delightful listening experience where even in the most atmospheric moments there is always something interesting going on.

Although never a strict leitmotif or theme-and-variation composer, Newman still has a great ear for melody and he weaves several interesting and beautiful tunes into the fabric of the score, none so infectious as the choral theme introduced in Prince Rupert's Drop where the piano and chimes dance in almost jazzy grooves around the pure choral and orchestral sounds that rise to high heaven in a joyous meditation. One of my personal favourites from the composer.

:music:Taxi Driver by Bernard Herrmann

2 hours ago, KK said:

Not to be to facetious or anything but isn't this a description of about every single score in Alan Silvestri's career? ;)

I like Silvestri in a same way I enjoy my chippy takeaway on Friday night. Not that nourishing but it packs a punch.

Karol

Oh, there are quite a few Silvestri's i love (Roger Rabbit, Predator 2, Judge Dredd, even Mouse Hunt) but this stuff is so leveled to the ground in regards to harmonic/thematic treatment it just doesn't amount to from any point of view.

WALL-E by Thomas Newman

Continuing a brief ride on Newman's unmistakable style, WALL-E sees fantastical moments right through to the somber ones, all the while holding on to that Finding Nemo-coined sound. The first act is bursting with cool ideas, from the eerie mystery of 2815 A.D. to the playful innocence of WALL-E's entrance cue, this score hits all the marks. Newman also gives us a glimpse of sci-if writing, but in a very keeping sort of way, holding true to the core of his style. It's quite a fun album, right down to the source music.

RATING: **** out of *****

A lot of fun, maintaining Newman's style while being a tad more experimental, progressing on other Disney ~ Pixar works.

The Death of Stalin by Christopher Willis

For a 30 minute album, you'd suppose that there wouldn't be too many revelations after as many listens as this brilliant OST has warranted from me this past week (6 times now). This flew completely under the radar for me, as Willis isn't exactly the biggest name in the film music industry. Nonetheless, he proves his worth here. The first thing that comes to mind is Shostakovich. Willis appears to pay homage to him in every delectable track, imitating his captivating voice without appearing too on-the-nose and unoriginal. In fact, while I hear this as an ode to the Russian maestros of the early 20th century (chiefest of whom is Shostakovich here). The main theme is delightfully good, and for a classical fan this is a must-listen score, in my opinion. Back from the Gulags employs a piano to variate the main theme many octaves up from its original statement, with a tip of the cap to Shostakovich's piano concertos, especially the first movement of the premier composition. A Comedy of Terrors (End Titles) takes on the role of a neo-classical string serenade, before relying on some powerful brass to, in hindsight, illustrate the musical tendencies of, say, Prokofiev, Rimsky-Korsakov, Rachmaninov, and of course Shostakovich, with the former three holding fast in slight nuances as opposed to grand over-arching structure, which belongs to the latter. 

RATING: ***** out of *****

It's a must-listen for any film score and classical music fan who can appreciate a Shostakovich-esque tribute of sorts.

9 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The Death of Stalin by Christopher Willis

For a 30 minute album, you'd suppose that there wouldn't be too many revelations after as many listens as this brilliant OST has warranted from me this past week (6 times now). This flew completely under the radar for me, as Willis isn't exactly the biggest name in the film music industry. Nonetheless, he proves his worth here. The first thing that comes to mind is Shostakovich. Willis appears to pay homage to him in every delectable track, imitating his captivating voice without appearing too on-the-nose and unoriginal. In fact, while I hear this as an ode to the Russian maestros of the early 20th century (chiefest of whom is Shostakovich here). The main theme is delightfully good, and for a classical fan this is a must-listen score, in my opinion. Back from the Gulags employs a piano to variate the main theme many octaves up from its original statement, with a tip of the cap to Shostakovich's piano concertos, especially the first movement of the premier composition. A Comedy of Terrors (End Titles) takes on the role of a neo-classical string serenade, before relying on some powerful brass to, in hindsight, illustrate the musical tendencies of, say, Prokofiev, Rimsky-Korsakov, Rachmaninov, and of course Shostakovich, with the former three holding fast in slight nuances as opposed to grand over-arching structure, which belongs to the latter. 

RATING: ***** out of *****

It's a must-listen for any film score and classical music fan who can appreciate a Shostakovich-esque tribute of sorts.

I also recommend the film, which was hilarious.

It lacked something intangible to balance the gross stuff but all the individual scenes and actors were great (who wouldn't love a spin-off  just for the Shukov character?).

In several movies I have watched, I heard that certain piece from the movie Chariots of Fire (1981) in many places.

Mostly it was used just for some comical scene of someone running or something like that.

Only recently did I discover it was in fact from the movie Chariots of Fire.  So I got curious and decided to listen to the whole score.  

Strange but..at first I thought I had the wrong film.  The music was not what I expected after hearing the main theme. 

But, after some fast classic 80s beat music, there it was. The main theme.  All things considered, the main theme is really a work of art.

4 minutes ago, John said:

The entire score is a work of art. One of the finest electronic film scores ever. 

Maybe abit too electronic.

1 hour ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I recall there being a plagiarism court case for the score, but I don't know enough to go into detail.

I believe you're thinking of Hanz' Gladiator.

Jerry is a bot too!?

:o

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame by Alan Menken

The Hunchback Of Notre Dame by Alfred Newman

The Hiding Place by Alfred Newman

and, soundtrack suites from

Heidi and Stanley &Iris by John Williams