What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

13 hours ago, KK said:

Godzilla: King of Monsters by Bear McCreary

Is it finally over? Thank God. Not that it's necessarily bad, but I clearly don't have the patience or tolerance for this kind of "wall-of-sound" blockbuster scoring anymore...and this was only with pub's abridged playlist, mind you. Some fun colours and clever Ifukube callbacks aside, it's just more of the same inane ostinato driven, big-drum pounding noise isn't it? At the end of the day, too much of it just comes across as anonymous support material/sound design for VFX. I'm glad some people are enjoying it though. There is more craftsmanship and production value here than your average RC score, sure. But is it really any better as music? McCreary just seems to lack a very interesting musical vision or voice, something I find myself feeling with a lot of his work. In that sense, it pales in comparison Desplat's leaner and bluntly ferocious work.

I won't even bother listening to this then.

14 minutes ago, Romão said:

I think his best work in 2019 was The Professor and the Madman. I quite enjoyed that one

As for bigger scores, both Cloverfield scores are better than Godzilla.

Karol

Keisuke Wakao Plays the Music of John Williams: One the absolute best John Williams re-recordings and re-interpretations of his music for a chamber ensemble, collecting and arranging some of the composer's most lyrical material for solo oboe, string quartet, piano and harp, performed by the Boston Symphony Orchestra members, the principal oboe Keisuke Wakao, harpist Ann Hobson-Pilot and the Borromeo Quartet and Kazunori Maruyama on piano, who also wonderfully arranged all the selections on this disc. As a bonus this 1999 album features John Williams on piano (and arrangement) on the last selection, the Days Between from Stepmom and also contains some more rarely recorded pieces such as a suite from Accidental Tourist, The Face of Pan from Hook and The Return from Jane Eyre. Highly recommended!

John Williams - Themes and Transcriptions for Piano: Another great re-recording of the Maestro's themes, this time for solo piano performed by Simone Pedroni. While few of the tracks are not my absolute favourites in terms of arrangement or performance, the majority of the album is a testament to the power of Williams' melodies that still when pared down from their full orchestral guise retain their effect and elegance and in the hands of Pedroni sing almost as beautifully, powerfully and delicately as the originals. Highlights include the lengthy suites from Lincoln and The Book Thief and the selections from the Harry Potter scores.

Pandora: The World of Avatar (James Horner/Simon Franglen)

I consider this posthumous Horner, although I'm not exactly sure how much he was responsible for and what this Franglen fellow provided. It's still technically new Horner music from beyond the grave and probably the last we'll ever hear from him.

My issue with the Avatar score is the overabundance of alien chanting. I know this probably works in the context of the movie, but separated from the picture, I just do not want to hear that stuff. Don't get me wrong, some of the vocals are alright. I just want the orchestra.

Of course, the theme park score still features this sort of thing, but there's a section in the middle of the album, roughly tracks 5-7 where the orchestra does its thing without the interference of Pandoran alien vocalists and I just love what I'm hearing.

This is probably the standout track for me. Unlike in the inappropriately silent Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge (sorry, @King Mark!), music fills the soundscape of the Avatar land. It's exactly the sort of epic driving background music a theme park of this type demands and about 3:00 in to "Raggatar", Horner is back, even if just for a few minutes. But those minutes will turn to hours and years as the muzak continues to pipe in this stuff at Disney World.

:music:Hubris by John Powell. Better than Ferdinand, better than Solo and better than How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World. And you know that I love all of those.

Karol

Saving Ryan’s Privates - Anniversary Ed.

Star Wars - Empire - Return of the Jedi (2015, remastered OST)

Listened to a few lately, over D-Day: 

Michael Kamen's Band of Brothers (highlights are Parapluie and Discovery of the Camp)

Williams' Saving Private Ryan

and then, after, John Barry's Robin & Marian. A quietly beautiful one in its way. Such as in Over the Wall/Escape as the theme builds at a gentle canter, gradually increasing. 

Raiders of the Lost Ark by John Williams

Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom by John Williams

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade by John Williams

Swept through the trilogy via the Concord albums. Any previous reservations or dislikes were completely forgotten- I loved every minute. 

Moonlight by Nicholas Britell

I've heard it been said that this is an overrated score, or something along those lines. I don't know how it's rated, but I enjoyed it. In my books, Britell is a quality composer- I've thoroughly enjoyed his last four film scores (VICE, If Beale Street Could Talk, Battle of the Sexes, and now this). After having a blast with the mellow cello (hehe) textures in If Beale Street Could Talk, Moonlight was pretty much an extension of that. A decent theme, and all in all lovely writing for the string section (many techniques employed too). You may enjoy the album if you like this track here: The Middle of the World.

Kong: Skull Island by Henry Jackman

Good enough to listen to, but it needs a 35 minute playlist. A mix of orchestral and some expected Jackman electronics. It was alright.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs by Carter Burwell

This was good fun. Quite lax and easy going, as Burwell never really throws up anything ridiculously heavy. His writing can be kind of, perhaps, American, and I like it even though it's not always the strongest. Additionally, there were some nice songs (When a Cowboy Trades His Spurs For Wings namely). The highlight of the comfortably 40 minute or so OST is here: The End of Buster Scruggs.

The Old Man and the Gun by Daniel Hart

Such a refreshing score. It's swing, it's light jazz, it's easy listening, and it's really, really good. One of my favourite tracks is here: Three Day Bank.

The Hateful Eight by Ennio Morricone (OST/FYC Combo - Score Only)

It's aces. Suspenseful, brooding and tenacious. L'Ultima Diligenza di Red Rock is seven minutes of Morricone magic. It's a lot more tame than any of the Leone ventures I'm familiar with, as there are no whistlers or wailers or harmonicas, all of which are more characteristic of spaghetti westerns rather than Tarantino romps. Stellar stuff.

54 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Kong: Skull Island by Henry Jackman

Good enough to listen to, but it needs a 35 minute playlist. A mix of orchestral and some expected Jackman electronics. It was alright.

I believe Disco Stu can help ya there, if I recall correctly!

:music: Passion (The Last Temptation of Christ) by Peter Gabriel. I still feel among all the clichéd "world music" scores this is still the finest one. Somehow it feels more honest and genuine than what make a decade and a half later. It makes for a fine album too.

Karol

Agatha Christie's Poirot by Christopher Gunning

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban by John Williams

I'm revisiting Steven Price's score for Gravity and really enjoying it. The music is rather predictable and wears its influences on its sleeve. Nonetheless it is sonically interesting and ends with a nice, big bang.

Here's two I've been listening to for the last two days:

1. James Newton Howard's 'The Last Airbender' - I'm in the middle of rewatching the original animated series and this score found its way back to me. What to say, other than it's one of the film's only good elements and one of my favourite JNH scores. The Wave and Aang's Ballet Fight are incredible! I've mentioned elsewhere that it isn't a particularly enjoyable listening experience for two reasons - it loses some sense of cohesiveness and direction and it's attached to the disappointing film.
  2. John Williams' 'Return of the Jedi' - Found this score on my phone's SD card and have been relistening/rediscovering this score. So many juicy Force Theme/Yoda's Theme/Vader's Theme statements to sink my ears into. I love all the interplay between the Force Theme and Vader's Theme in Shuttle Tydirium Approaches Endor and The Death of Yoda has one of the best Force Theme statements of the entire saga! It's just a shame that it sounds worse than the other two in the OT. 

Rózsa americana, and the warm and melodic bits are as good as ever. I could do without all the stereotypical suspense stuff, but cues like 'Letters/Moonlight and Horses' compensate big time.

14 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I enjoyed the album Cinema Morricone from Simone Pedroni and Sara Andon.  An album of Morricone arranged for piano/flute duo.

Here's the gorgeous Days of Heaven suite.

Thanks for the reminder - I've been meaning to check that out.

Btw, funny how they tried to make Pedroni look sexy om the cover. :lol:

Hook by John Williams

King Kong by James Newton Howard

Bless the Child by Christopher Young (my own edit)

Creation by Christopher Young

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull by John Williams

Star Trek by Michael Giacchino

Star Trek: Into Darkness by Michael Giacchino

Star Trek: Beyond by Michael Giacchino

I understand that many people dislike the Giacchino Star Trek's, because he wasn't worthy to step in the place of our dearly beloved Goldsmith and Horner. Well yeah, Giacchino isn't one of those guys, he's Giacchino. His Star Trek scores are, in my opinion, pretty good. I really enjoyed the first one- the choir in Nero Death Experience, all of Enterprising Young Men, and the score as a whole. Into Darkness picks up where the last left off, and Beyond follows suit. They're pretty concise OSTs, which is helpful for me when I'm pressed for time and still want to listen. Thumbs up! 

"The soundtrack sounds like Hans Zimmer fell asleep on his pipe organ"

• Interstellar is actually HZ's best score.
  • Interstellar > TFA (the movie, not the score)

Change my mind.

my TFA default playlist: 

1.    "Main Title / The Attack on the Jakku Village" 
2.    "The Scavenger" 
6.    "Rey's Theme" 
7.    "The Falcon"   
8.    "That Girl with the Staff"    
9.    "The Rathtars!"  
10.    "Finn's Confession"   
11.    "Maz's Counsel"   
12.    "The Starkiller" 
19.    "Torn Apart"