What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

I would love to listen to Monsignor, but my CD is in transit.

I listened to it hundreds of times. But that was way back in the 80's. Its a fine score to a terrible film.

Its as if Williams was JG.

Skyfall by Thomas Newman

With a few brief moments of excellence, Newman serves up an acceptable Bond entry that's pretty much what you'd expect from this composer for this film. Quick bursts of energy, suspense, and the occasional John Barry nod make the album a decent listen. Prefer it to Spectre.

The Day the Earth Stood Still by Bernard Hermann (McNeely Rerecording)

Other worldly and eerie, coining an often mimicked sci-fi style. Complete with Hermann's trademark techniques, which can often involve rather simple two or three note phrases of looming mystery, the score is quite a uniquely interesting treat. I appreciate the work of Varese Sarabande in these rerecording, as I've thoroughly enjoyed most of the ones I've heard thus far. 

Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Bernard Hermann

It's easy to go on a roll with Hermann, and Journey to the Centre of the Earth continues that popular two or three note repeated phrase that lacks any real resolution for a good while, echoing again and again with masterful suspense and mystery. While this album is not a rerecording, the sound is pretty good, all things considering. Of course, it's produced by Nick Redman. 

As a note, Elfman's inspiration from Hermann is quite evident with Journey to the Centre of the Earth, as many moments call back (or forward actually!) to Batman and Batman Returns, among others.

I listed to a rash of scores for the first time: Saturn 3, Elmer Bernstein 

Psycho (the Joel McNeely recording)

Cinderella Liberty and The Reivers, Williams

and then The Man Who Loved Cat Dancing. For good measure I added to the playlist on my phone, the song (Dream Away Child, Sinatra) and it all tied together nicely. Love the sound of Cat Dancing throughout. Something about Williams pre-Jaws/Star Wars.

2 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

What's your top 1? Mine's Jurassic Park.

Angela's Ashes or A.I. perhaps.

Agatha Christie's Poirot by Christopher Gunning: Some of the best TV music in my books with such a memorable main theme.

War Horse by John Williams: Simply lovely and with a well-constructed musical arc to it (even though the opening third might be a bit intrusive in the film itself). Like Tintin from the same year, this score is simply bursting with different melodies and with a wonderful Americana/British/Celtic fusion in its elements. And it bears repeating how absolutely delightful the album closing end credits piece Homecoming is with its wonderful summation of nearly all the major elements of the score in one effortless flowing concert suite.

Im digging the Time Heist stuff in endgame. Quasi-jazz feels Mancini inspired.

3 hours ago, Fabulin said:

Black Sunday by John Williams - An enjoyable spy score that sounds like a direct prelude to Williams' blockbuster parade---to Star Wars, ESB, ROTJ, E.T., Jurassic Park, Indiana Jones trilogy... and even ROTS 30 years later---and features a very effective use of percussive instruments and of the piano. Lots of Giacchino MOH inspirations. Highlights include: Commando Raid, Preparations (proto March of the Resistance in 1977? Oi!), The Blimp and the Bomb, The End... but every track is very good, including the 3 great source cues.

Overall: 10/10

And you know what? It might be the perfect first suggestion for anyone wanting to dive into Williams' more obscure scores for the first time.

And AOTC.

10 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

I did and I liked it and you liked that. :D

Ah, huzzah! I haven't listened to the new one, and I expect it to be very much in the same vein as the first. 

:music: Spider-Man: Far From Home. An overall impression is that it feels like an improvement. Outside of 3-4 tracks, I never really liked the first one. This feels more enjoyable and consistent. But 79 minutes? I will probably give it a one more listen before deciding whether it's a win or not. 

Karol

What are the general thoughts here about Stanley &Iris?  

It is a pleasant enough score.  Nice main titles, especially.  But, it feels kind of like a minor work to me.

9 hours ago, SteveMc said:

What are the general thoughts here about Stanley &Iris?  

It is a pleasant enough score.  Nice main titles, especially.  But, it feels kind of like a minor work to me.

Pleasant enough, yes, but quite forgettable. The Accidental Tourist is more memorable, IMO.

The Amazing Spider-Man by James Horner

The Patriot by John Williams

7 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Citizen Kane: The Classic Film Scores of Bernard Herrmann to celebrate the 108th anniversary of composer's birthday.

Definitely one of the best albums from the Gerhardt series.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Definitely one of the best albums from the Gerhardt series.

It is, I once managed to track a used copy of the old run... only to find that the CD inside the jewel case was actually one of the Bernstein-conducted compilation. Imagine my disappointment.

Karol

3 hours ago, crocodile said:

It is, I once managed to track a used copy of the old run... only to find that the CD inside the jewel case was actually one of the Bernstein-conducted compilation. Imagine my disappointment.

Karol

Imagining it right now!

12 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Imagining it right now!

Did you hear the danger motif in your head just then?

:music: M:I:III and Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol. I always liked Giacchino's take on the series. Some of my favourite works of his actually. The third first one of these was my one of my first Gia albums (second one) so I have a soft spot for it.

Oh I also gave the new Spider-Man: Far From Home another listen. Great score it ain't but it's a definite improvement over the previous one.

Karol

16 hours ago, crocodile said:

Karol

The old release is still fairly easy to find for a good price, in good condition.

#timeCapsuleChallenge

Today, listen to scores released when you were 15 yo!

For me, it will be Batman (Elfman) and Indy and The Last Crusade.