What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Best Film Scores of the '70s (first draft, subject to change as I will remove tunes that enerves me!)

Remember that not everything is on Spotify

Weird decade... well all already knew!

4 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

Stepmom by John Williams

'Tis pleasant.  

'Tis indeed.

4 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Post by John Williams. Such a strange choice for background music during gym excercise. 😆

Karol 

The Presses Roll seems like appropriate music for excercise.

Bless the Child by Christopher Young

Shipping News by Christopher Young

Sleepers by John WIlliams

Hollow Man by Jerry Goldsmith

Brothers Grimm by Dario Marianelli

Rather entertaining 'sci-fi' score by indian composer Rahman. The story revolves around the struggle of a scientist to control his android creation after its software is upgraded to give it the ability to comprehend and exhibit human emotions. At least it sounds not like trailer music and while it's a bit on the short side (for a change) some pieces are fun in a 90's kind of way.

Knowing by Marco Beltrami: A decent suspense effort with Herrmann-esque undertones but again as with so much of  Beltrami's music seems to lack emotional melodic heart which he tries to convey on several occasions in the score but doesn't really nail it.

Silence of the Lambs by Howard Shore: Shore is really a master of such concentrated brooding and bleak atmosphere and you really have to be in the mood for this type of stuff to last through the album. Luckily today I was.

Monsignor a couple more times, self-extended OST (The Vatican stuck in front of Seeing Rome, additional track assembled from End Titles, Book Shop and You're My in the first half, film mixes of some cues where deemed better)

And with all that, my favourite track is a tie between Meeting in Sicily and At the Forum!

10 hours ago, Incanus said:

Silence of the Lambs by Howard Shore: Shore is really a master of such concentrated brooding and bleak atmosphere and you really have to be in the mood for this type of stuff to last through the album. Luckily today I was.

Aaw, man! What happened, Inky? Tell your uncle Rich.

6 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Of course!

There's also an album release for the second and third season, but that's only available digitally as a download. It's not as good either, since main composer Phipps left the series.

Not a fan of the suite version though . It has drums and things like that. The version I like and posted above is closer to what I remember from the TV series. It's more classical in nature.  Listening further ... Oh yes! Coronation! That's way more like it!

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

Not a fan of the suite version though . It has drums and things like that. The version I like and posted above is closer to what I remember from the TV series. It's more classical in nature.  Listening further ... Oh yes! Coronation! That's way more like it!

I don't like the distorted voices at the start of the suite. Otherwise I like the whole album, and I find The King is Dead, Coronation, and Victoria Titles to be particularly good.

Alan Silvestri - Predator 2 (Varese Deluxe Edition)

One of my favorite action scores.  Silvestri takes all the core ideas of his first scores and amps everything up with a bunch of testosterone and tribal drumming.  It's quite enjoyable from beginning to end!  I enjoy the complete presentation quite a bit, it's not too long and there are no dull spots.  I'm talking about the main program only, not the bonus tracks, which are just "nice-to-haves", not anything to listen to frequently.

Basil Poledouris - Starship Troopers (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Another one of my favorite action scores, though this one has plenty of suspense and scene-setting music too.  The martial Fed-Net stuff is such a fun intro, ending, and interstitial idea, and there is such a great variety in all the action music that peppers the bulk of the main score.  Another complete presentation that isn't dull at all, never outstays its welcome.  I love it!

Craig Wedren & Theodore Shapiro - Wet Hot American Summer

Fun little comedy score with some original songs that I love so much because I love the movie so much.  Wouldn't be of interest to too many JWFanners, but I was elated the day I randomly discovered it had been released on spotify.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Its a brilliant and surprisingly restrained score.

Oh, yeah, I love listening to BRAINSTORM ;)

2 hours ago, Kasey Kockroach said:

Hoosiers by Jerry Goldsmith

A beautiful, underrated gem, of a score.

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Lincoln by John Williams

I am so very glad to have finally had a fully embraceable experience with this score, as I've listened to it a few times and never picked up on the brilliance so many on this board have cited. It's not to say I haven't enjoyed it in the past because I have, but this most recent listen was a real ear opener and imparted upon me the same high esteem that a fair number of members hold this score in. The almost effortless main theme shapes such a distinct Americana image, and is brought to the forefront by the woodwinds in a simply perfect fashion on a number of occasions. Sporting some variance with the up-tempo Getting Out the Vote and The Race to the House, as well as the more traditional Call to Muster and Battle Cry of Freedom, the album is an immensely well-balanced presentation. The Peterson House and Finale, a superb culmination of the score's main ideas, isn't even the last hurrah, as Williams offers one last treat in With Malice Toward None (Piano Solo). I can say with the utmost assurance that Lincoln is on a completely different level from so many other beloved works of Williams'.

I had a similar experience about five years ago. I got the album first day, and when I was done I shrugged, I felt like there wasn't enough "conflict" in the music. Like finding jewels in mud, though, I eventually started hearing all of these "micronarratives" in each track, the minuscule tensions and releases that are interwoven so subtly yet transparently throughout the score. 

Also, one of the most heart-melting moments in any music I've heard:

Star Wars The Force Awakens by John Williams: I really love this score. Such bright energetic music with great themes, none greater than Daisy's...sorry I mean Rey's theme.

Nixon by John Williams: One of Williams' deftest psychological portraits in music. This is dark brooding and anguished with little rays of musical light amidst the sea of shadows but ultimately always melodic even at its darkest and rounds out Williams' "Stone trilogy" with marvellous varied Americana writing. While the album is a quite well-rounded listening experience an expanded version of this would be most welcome since some of the more delicate emotional moments (presaging the style and content of the composer's future scores of 2000's) are missing from the album.

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible (Complete)

Holy hell I love this score, I think Danny really knocked it out of the park here.  All the quirky instrumentation and unusual rhythms are so much fun, and the way he can gracefully slide into a straight-up rendition of the classic theme from the 60's by Schifrin and have it sound like it fits perfectly is awesome.  I also love that he incorporated "The Plot" from Schifrin, and kind of did a variant of it as his own main theme.  I can't wait for the upcoming LLL 2CD edition to hear everything in professionally mastered quality, and to read what Jeff Bond has to say about how the score came together and whatever else.  Can't wait!

17 minutes ago, Jay said:

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible (Complete)

Holy hell I love this score, I think Danny really knocked it out of the park here.  All the quirky instrumentation and unusual rhythms are so much fun, and the way he can gracefully slide into a straight-up rendition of the classic theme from the 60's by Schifrin and have it sound like it fits perfectly is awesome.  I also love that he incorporated "The Plot" from Schifrin, and kind of did a variant of it as his own main theme.  I can't wait for the upcoming LLL 2CD edition to hear everything in professionally mastered quality, and to read what Jeff Bond has to say about how the score came together and whatever else.  Can't wait!

What's missing from the album? Not literally what all is missing, but what gems are there?

Well, to be honest, I've had the complete version for so long, and haven't listened to the OST album since I got it, I don't think, it's hard now to remember what's "new" and what's not!

I know I was thrilled to finally have the full unedited versions of all the first act cues (Seeping Beauty, Red Handed, and Big Trouble), plus the cool version of the Schifrin theme heard when they arrive at Langley which is similar to the Main Title version, but not exactly the same, and then goes to this super awesome percussion passage that IIRC was dropped from the film so it was completely new to me.  There's also a longer version of Zoom (A & B) and even an alternate of it with a much longer rendition of the M:I theme.  That's all I can remember off the top of my head for now since it's been so long since I've heard the score album.

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow by Edward Shearmur

The Shawshank Redemption by Thomas Newman

How to Train Your Dragon 2 by John Powell