What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Star Wars by John Williams 

Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back by John Williams 

Star Wars the Return of the Jedi by John Williams 

Star Wars the Force Awakens by John Williams 

Star Wars the Last Jedi by John Williams 

Superman The Animated Series (Carter/Cohen/McCuistion/Ritmanis/Walker)

Ah yes, back when kids cartoons weren't dumbed down and had good scores to boot. It's amazing how Walker and her team managed quality this good with only 30+ musicians for each episode. And while they stayed within her wheelhouse sonically, she gave the composers leeway to develop their own style too. I'm partial to Michael McCuistion for his work on "World's Finest" and "In Brightest Day" as well as Lolita Ritmanis' "Little Girl Lost", but this is a beautifully curated album release by LLL.

Makes me wish an upcoming director would secure McCuistion/Ritmanis/Carter to score a live action comic book film...

22 minutes ago, Dieter Stark said:

Batman Returns OST

The complete score is all you need.

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

I listened 10 seconds of Purple Rain last week.

That's my record!

Bes, I never meant to cause you any trouble. I never meant to cause any pain.

There's some fantastic stuff, on that record. 

All we are saying, is "give Prince a chance".

12 hours ago, Matt C said:

Superman The Animated Series (Carter/Cohen/McCuistion/Ritmanis/Walker)

Ah yes, back when kids cartoons weren't dumbed down and had good scores to boot. It's amazing how Walker and her team managed quality this good with only 30+ musicians for each episode. And while they stayed within her wheelhouse sonically, she gave the composers leeway to develop their own style too. I'm partial to Michael McCuistion for his work on "World's Finest" and "In Brightest Day" as well as Lolita Ritmanis' "Little Girl Lost", but this is a beautifully curated album release by LLL.

Makes me wish an upcoming director would secure McCuistion/Ritmanis/Carter to score a live action comic book film...

Frankly I'm more amazed that a cartoon show used to have an orchestral ensemble of any size. All of them are very good composers--I like the edge of Karter, but McCuistion is probably the strongest in my mind...he wrote this for example! Listen to that orchestration,  damn!

But man, they've been doing superhero stuff for over 25 years now. Wonder if they've gotten tired of it?

6 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

But man, they've been doing superhero stuff for over 25 years now. Wonder if they've gotten tired of it?

I don't think so. Hell, if I was directing a comic book movie for either WB or Marvel -- Dynamic Music Partners would be my dream pick to score. They would be cheap and provide quality scores with chamber-sized ensembles.

CE3K - LLL Disc 1

Superman - LLL OST

Dracula - Deluxe OST

Monsignor - new OST

That magical era when JW could still create great shortened programs!

Alien - Intrada OST

ST:TMP - LLL OST

This guy, too!

With the 2-or 4-side fragmentation, there may have been more motivation to create satisfying mini-structures for each side, while many later OSTs feel haphazard, choppy, seemingly randomly out of order for the sake of being out of order.

eXistenZ by Howard Shore: A rather non-descript brooding Shore score for another Cronenberg film.

A History of Violence by Howard Shore: A rather Middle-earthy score for this small scale thriller/drama but it is does have its small charms, especially the sunny horn-led main theme which reminds me of heroics of the Hobbits.

Nerakhoon (The Betrayal) by Howard Shore: A lovely chamber score for a documentary both fine cello solos by Sophie Shao and typically great Shorean choral writing for two Estonian choral ensembles.

4 minutes ago, Incanus said:

A History of Violence by Howard Shore: A rather Middle-earthy score for this small scale thriller/drama but it is does have its small charms, especially the sunny horn-led main theme which reminds me of heroics of the Hobbits.

Thank goodness

Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris

While the Discord listening session wasn't as successful as I'd hoped (thanks @Holko for always sticking around!), it was still a very enjoyable experience for us. Quite a good score, lots of very dense and heavy stuff in the opening (reminded me of some parts of The Lost World) but a really nice love theme provides balance. Lots of cool bits along the way. Good fun!

5 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Conan the Barbarian by Basil Poledouris

While the Discord listening session wasn't as successful as I'd hoped (thanks @Holko for always sticking around!), it was still a very enjoyable experience for us. Quite a good score, lots of very dense and heavy stuff in the opening (reminded me of some parts of The Lost World) but a really nice love theme provides balance. Lots of cool bits along the way. Good fun!

Which version? The OST, Intrada complete presentation or Tadlow re-recording?

11 minutes ago, Incanus said:

Which version? The OST, Intrada complete presentation or Tadlow re-recording?

OST recreated (approximated) from the Tadlow/Prometheus rerecording for convenient length but superior sound and performance. I left The Kitchen in because there's no good way to separate it from The Orgy in the same way the OST has it, with that opening leading note for the transition.

16 hours ago, Incanus said:

Nerakhoon (The Betrayal) by Howard Shore: A lovely chamber score for a documentary both fine cello solos by Sophie Shao and typically great Shorean choral writing for two Estonian choral ensembles.

I did read that as Sheeran. 😆

Karol

17 hours ago, Incanus said:

That score felt to me like Shore hadn't really left Middle Earth at all, and had done a score in the same brooding vein but without the themes. Not a fan.

:music: An American Tail by James Horner. I am not a fan of the songs but, thankfully, they can be easily eliminated from the playlist as they have no real impact on the remaining music nor do they really connect thematically to anything. The hour-long score itself is superb. I really enjoy how Horner employs six of his themes throughout. One of composer's most enjoyable works and the complete thing never outstays its welcome. Add to that the excellent performance from the LSO and Mike Matessino's first-rate assembly for Intrada and you have a real winner. :)

Karol

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

I really enjoy how Horner employs six of his themes throughout.

It may have been Spielberg's interference, but compare how varied the base of the thematic material is compared to his later animation scores (Fievel II excluded). They all sound very 'maerican-ized' (for the lack of a better word) whereas the main theme here is, rather unusually, pure russian (Prokoviev's First, to be precise). 

HTTYD 3 - after it came up.

A few months after those initial listens, here's another go. I'm willing to take all the heat I deserve for this, and believe me that I'm saddest to say this, but to me it's still just a HTTYD-ey mush with most of the fun and awe sucked out of it. I don't really connect with most of the date or HW material and by the time it tries to recapture it all in Armada Battle, it's too little too late, and ends up being more copy-paste-ey but much less coherent and natural than Bewilderbeast. There is not one standout track that I can't get enough of, want to listen to over and over again until knowing it by heart, when it will become the main key to unlocking all the themes and nuggets in the rest of the score, whereas there were a dozen in the others, each. I'm just not feeling it. I'll probably put together a best bits medley to throw after HTTYD2, and that's it for me and this film/score.

So instead of coming to "Does anyone else miss when kaseykockroach posted constantly?" threads, I witness this blasphemy! 

Though I really do need to find exciting music again. The world of music has gotten so boring and depressing now that HTTYD's over. Now it's just Star Wars and superheroes and nothing for me! All while I had to come across a "Is Junkie XL the next John Barry?" thread which made me vomit blood (and I don't even care for John Barry).

2 hours ago, Richard said:

No PLANET OF THE APES?

No THE LION IN WINTER?

No MIDNIGHT COWBOY?

No IN THE HEAT OF THE NIGHT?

No THE ITALIAN JOB?

No Spaghetti Westerns?

No Bond?

Come on Bes. These scores epitomised the 60s.

Goldfinger and The Lion in winter were missing indeed. FIXED.