What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Minority Report (of course)

and

IT: Chapter Two by Benjamin Wallfisch.

Not exactly a chill listen, and I guess one could despise Wallfisch's continuous use of loud booms, but I must say I like how the orchestra is sometimes "glitched" and blended with weird synths, drones and creepy noises, and I find the 27 Years theme really beautiful, so it was a nice surprise to hear it more than once in this score. Plus, emotionally speaking, the last three tracks really hit home, at least for me.

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

Fahrenheit 451

:yes:

Probably my favorite Herrmann score. Isn't this one of the most whimsical things you've ever heard? The beginning part.

It's so...isolated and desolate, only Sakamoto's score Merry Christmas Mr. Lawrence hits that specific introverted and deep tone, that I can think of in film land.

Radio - James Horner

One of those small dramas that Horner loved to score. It has its moments, but it comes across like a pale imitation of much better scores from him, like A Beautiful Mind, Bicentennial Man, Deep Impact and The Man Without a Face. Basically, if you heard any of these scores, you already know how Radio sounds. Also, the main theme is not that good, and it repeats A LOT.

Despite that, I have the feeling that this score (or at least a few tracks from it) will grow on me with the time.

6 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Planet of the Apes --- it sounds soooooooo much better now :)

Karol

I hope LLL releases it separately at some point as I have no particular interest in the sequels.

6 hours ago, Incanus said:

I hope LLL releases it separately at some point as I have no particular interest in the sequels.

Hmm let's hope so. Although it could be either them or Varese. Probably the latter.

Karol

39 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Hmm let's hope so. Although it could be either them or Varese. Probably the latter.

Karol

Well as long as somebody does it!

Angela's Ashes by John Williams: Such perfect music for autumn and for my soul.

For Your Eyes Only - Bill Conti

Comfort food score.  Cheesy as heck, but it feels like home.  One of my favorite pre-90s, non-Barry Bond score for one of my all-time favorite Bond films.

Pleasant, if generic, follow-up score by Geoff Zannelli. It's probably about right for this cashgrab sequel.

2 fuckin' hours. Not so much a narrative than a collection of vaguely spherical mood pieces, mostly 'piano' with a few more ominous pieces and at least one pre-existing 20-minute Richter piece. It's also a big cheat: with its lofty titles announcing a big, quasi-religious concept work, all you get is chords and drones, not at all unpleasant but more comparable with tinkly background music for some art installation. Ah well...

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

This October Saturday morning, I listen to parody whodunnit scores.

Murder by Death - Dave Grusin

Clue - John Morris

Both are fine scores.

1 hour ago, Bespin said:

You may have loved or hated the remake, admit that the score is Top notch.

The same goes for CAPE FEAR.

On 10/18/2019 at 1:17 PM, crocodile said:

:music: Die Hard

Karol

Always a fun one to listen to. Especially the recent anniversary release that's fully complete.

The last score I listened to was the Intrada release for Star Trek VI The Undiscovered Country and it was last night.

3 hours ago, Naïve Old Fart said:

That's a decent score @Trent B.

It might not have majesty of Goldsmith, or the playful finesse or Horner, nor the quirkiness of Rosenman, but it's certainly a worthy entry.

I love all the Star Trek scores.  Although I have always found Star Trek VI to be unique ever since I heard it when it first came out back then.

I'm listening (again) to the Twilight soundtrack by Carter Burwell and it's so good.
Can't think of another crappy movie with such a great soundtrack.

I disliked the movie when I first saw it, but I was surprised to realize I actually liked the score.
Can't help it. I guess I have a soft spot for its atmospheres.

Just now, publicist said:

Forget about Twilight, there are far worse movies with far greater scores (even discounting Jerry Goldsmith).

Oh I'm sure there are! 
I just can't remember which movies :D 

1 hour ago, publicist said:

You don't have to dig deep. 

I'll give this a thought.
What about great movies with terrible scores?

1 hour ago, Thekthithm said:

As soon as Howard Shore was announced to score Twilight 3, someone here joked was the next one going to be by John Williams.

Burwell, Shore, Desplat… the Twilight Saga sure got a lot of great composers.
I forced myself to watch it, but could't go past the first half of the second one.
I was bored out of my mind.

I can't remember anything about Burwell's first Twilight score... But I do like Desplat's, Shore's and again Burwell's contributions for the sequels. The final movie has some excellent action music for the ridiculous and poorly-written final battle.

My playlist in the last couple of days: 

Titus (Andronicus) by Elliot Goldenthal

Black Dahlia by Mark Isham

Willow by James Horner

L.A. Confidential by Jerry Goldsmith

Psycho by Bernard Herrmann

Nixon by John Williams

Born on the Fourth of July by John Williams

JFK by John Williams

Dinosaur by James Newton Howard

Jurassic Park III by Don Davis (bootleg)

What Davis does with JW's classic themes not always work, but it's always interesting. Also, his main theme (which I think is for that kid who is William H. Macy's son, I dunno, I haven't watch this crap in years) is pretty great too, like classic adventure family movies from the 90s. But, of course, the best thing about it is the wonderful action music, less dissonant than his Matrix scores, but still very agressive. I wouldn't want to be a brass player on a Don Davis score!

Anyway, even though I prefer his Matrix scores, I still think that's a fun score and Davis should be getting more work on high profile blockbusters. But these days he is only hired to score weird japanese stuff, low budget sci-fi crap and to orchestrate Randy Newman's Pixar scores. :( 

I'm not sure i can bring myself to shelling out good money for a more than sufficient 73-minute release, so the big question is: will the sound upgrade justify the shelling?