What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Probably one of my favorite uses. I especially like how after the church scene Williams incorporates Carol of the Bells into "Setting the Trap." Its use has so much more meaning than I originally thought.

And the effect is entirely ruined by the sequencing of the original album, which doesn't place the tracks next to each other.

Breaking Dawn Part 2

Atrocious film, but pretty good score. This has a much wider palette than I've heard from Burwell, ranging from his intimate piano pieces to epic, choral action music. He brings his work to a satisfying close.

And I was very excited to hear direct reference to Desplat's New Moon! Apparently, Eclipse is quoted here too, I read, but I didn't listen to Eclipse enough to have the familiarity required to pick up references. I imagine it's at around 1:15. Good for Carter Burwell!

Actually, Burwell incorporates Shore's Eclipse theme around 1:08. He uses the last minute of "Mountain Peak" from the Eclipse score.

Yesterday early morning around this time (after 6am) I started a Star Trek film score marathon listening to all 11 Star Trek scores in a row. All though I didn't finish it last night and stopped half way through Star Trek Insurrection since I went to bed early last night. I've continued it and I'm almost done with Star Trek Insurrection.

Of course when I started this marathon I started off with Star Trek The Motion Picture (just the main body of the score). Giacchino's Star Trek score will be the last one to listen to.

I've never done this before I mean have a marathon listening to all complete scores. It's actually been a cool experience at least for myself since as you guys know I love ALL the Star Trek film scores.

Trent , this is awesome. You've inspired me to do this sometime soon.

Breaking Dawn Part 2

Atrocious film, but pretty good score. This has a much wider palette than I've heard from Burwell, ranging from his intimate piano pieces to epic, choral action music. He brings his work to a satisfying close.

And I was very excited to hear direct reference to Desplat's New Moon! Apparently, Eclipse is quoted here too, I read, but I didn't listen to Eclipse enough to have the familiarity required to pick up references. I imagine it's at around 1:15. Good for Carter Burwell!

Actually, Burwell incorporates Shore's Eclipse theme around 1:08. He uses the last minute of "Mountain Peak" from the Eclipse score.

Well, there you go. I was more or less right, plus or minus a few seconds.

Breaking Dawn Part 2

That sounds great. I like the inclusion of the Desplat and Shore material, especially the take of the Meadow theme.

I think I'll be buying this one.

It'll probably be the easiest way to do it, considering that's the only legitimate score I'll probably ever find in the "film soundtrack" section.

I thought it was cool to like Twilight (I'm young enough to play the part)!

Oh, yeah, it's cool... unless you have a penis!

I guess I'll have to ask Alice to get my CD then!

Elgar's Cello Concerto (John Barbirolli, LSO and Jacqueline Du Pré): Absolute brilliance.

Lost In Space by Bruce Broughton

Star Trek V: The Final Frontier by Jerry Goldsmith

Krull by James Horner

:music: Atonement by Dario Marianelli - one of the very few worthy Oscar winnners years in the past 10 years, a score that is excellent in execution, works fantastically well on album and elevates the film.

Karol

:music: Atonement by Dario Marianelli - one of the very few worthy Oscar winnners years in the past 10 years, a score that is excellent in execution, works fantastically well on album and elevates the film.

I never could really get into this score. I love Briony's theme, and the use of the typewriter was a great idea (especially since it actually is a plot point. Once you know the ending, and rewatch the film, at the beginning you're like: "Oh, yeah! That's awesome!") , but the love theme just... rubs me the wrong way. And I find the rest of the music to be a bit pedestrian.

Not Elegy For Dunkirk, though. That one is badass.

Oh, and I disagree that it works fantastically on album. The first half of the album just keeps on alternating between Briony's theme and the love theme, and has nothing else to offer.

Sourpuss!

I never could really get into this score. I love Briony's theme, and the use of the typewriter was a great idea (especially since it actually is a plot point. Once you know the ending, and rewatch the film, at the beginning you're like: "Oh, yeah! That's awesome!") , but the love theme just... rubs me the wrong way. And I find the rest of the music to be a bit pedestrian.

Oh, and I disagree that it works fantastically on album. The first half of the album just keeps on alternating between Briony's theme and the love theme, and has nothing else to offer.

I must disagree here, the score does work great on album. You have Briony's theme, the love theme, the elegy theme, the darker music in "The Half-Killed" and all sorts of great piano material in general. And they are generally well spaced out. The contrast between the tone of the consistently lighter first half to the darker tone of the second half works quite well for me.

One of my favourite moments in the score is the reprisal of Briony's theme in the cue "Atonement", played in a fashion that is both enigmatic and endearing. Classic Marianelli!

Of course, you love it! You're always so jolly, always looking on the bright side of life... The album could have consisted of just variations of the love theme, you would have said it was a masterpiece... I wonder if there is anything you don't like...

that's just what he wants you to believe. he's the most melancholic person in canada, remember?

it's all a facade. I've been fooled... and I'm not fooled very easily.

well played, KK... well played.

License to Kill (License Revoked) by Michael Kamen

What's wrong with this score that so many people dislike it? I think it's great, merges Barry sound with Kamen's own in a really effortless way, very much in a way David Arnold did almost a decade later.

Karol

I remember everyone praising the typewriter when the score came out for being so original... Except Ramin Djawadi and Heiror Pereira did it first in Ask The Dust.

I don't think this score should have won the Oscar but it is good. Agreed on "Elegy For Dunkirk."

I remember everyone praising the typewriter when the score came out for being so original... Except Ramin Djawadi and Heiror Pereira did it first in Ask The Dust.

I don't think this score should have won the Oscar but it is good. Agreed on "Elegy For Dunkirk."

The brilliance of the score doesn't lie in a fact Marianelli uses the typewritier, but rather how and why. It is only one of many things he does. Atonement score seems to be about the interplay between sound effects and score. It's merging the two worlds and distorts them, much in a same way Briony distorts the facts in the story. So you get the typewriter, but also choir, church organ, lighter, piano (in the film Briony plays the first notes of her own theme), harmonica etc. Very nice touch.

Karol

Of course, you love it! You're always so jolly, always looking on the bright side of life... The album could have consisted of just variations of the love theme, you would have said it was a masterpiece... I wonder if there is anything you don't like...

Bright side?! I think aside from you I've moaned most about the Hobbit project!

And there is a great deal of diversity in that score...I don't know why you can't see that. Pride and Prejudice on the other hand is a pretty overrated Marianelli score.

What's wrong with this score that so many people dislike it? I think it's great, merges Barry sound with Kamen's own in a really effortless way, very much in a way David Arnold did almost a decade later.

Karol

I like it, an enjoyable Bond score.

Jerry Goldsmith - Hour of the Gun; performed by the City of Prague Phil

It's great.

I imagine Whose Cattle to be able to work in a modern score.

Lincoln - John Williams

For some odd reason the rousing parts of the score reminds me of the same rousing parts in Jerry Goldsmith's Explorers.

Karol

I like it, an enjoyable Bond score.

ditto, I enjoy it.

The Adventures of Tintin by John Williams

Such a great fun. There's so much to listen to. I love how captain Haddock's theme is a clear descendant of the pirate music from Sir Francis track. You can fragments of that material in the battle cue. At 3:55 you seem to hear a heroic take on fragments of Haddock's material. Not sure if it's intentional or not, but I love it. :)

Karol

Home Alone, simply great, everything about it. It's truly one of John's greatest contributions. It's iconic Christmas music that is now part of our Christmas culture. I literally know many many people who own Home Alone on CD just for the Christmas music. It's a great comedic score as well. It succeeds on so many level.

The brilliance of the score doesn't lie in a fact Marianelli uses the typewritier, but rather how and why. It is only one of many things he does. Atonement score seems to be about the interplay between sound effects and score. It's merging the two worlds and distorts them, much in a same way Briony distorts the facts in the story. So you get the typewriter, but also choir, church organ, lighter, piano (in the film Briony plays the first notes of her own theme), harmonica etc. Very nice touch.

Karol

Here's a cue from the score if you're interested.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjJ1LHH1DQk

Rise of the Guardians by Alexandre Desplat

Just heard some fragments before, now that I have the actual album I can say what I think of it all. First thing out of the way, I don't like this type of music anymore. For some reason cute, suger-coated children music doesn't appeal to me (no matter the composer). There is something too calculated about it and my mind tends to wander away. Having said that, Desplat really knows how to orchestrate. Even when he's working with big orchestra you clearly hear every detail. It requires a really good composer to do that. And while very is plenty of busy music in this album, the best material is the tender and quiet stuff. I kind of like that theme he used as a song. Overall, it's entertaining and proves that Desplat is indeed one of the best at the moment. But I can't say I'm all that inclined to listen to it non-stop. The Golden Compass, while more sterile and cold, offers more delights. Still, definitely above his Potter music.

Karol

Jurassic Park by John Williams

Home Alone by John Williams

The Adventures of Tintin The Secret of the Unicorn by John Williams

War Horse by John Williams

Rise of the Guardians by Alexandre Desplat