What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The complete "The Deep" sopunds perfectly good in mono.

You haven't lived until you've heard "Tomorrow Never Knows", or "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey" blasting out of your speakers in their original mono mixes!!!

Summer in February by Benjamin Wallfisch

It's not neccessarily as good as the greats of the master, but it has the same touch of elegant European writing and bittersweet romance longingly brought out by well crafted string writing. It's a lovely treat for fans of Marianelli.

Blown Away by Alan Silvestri

Can't say it is the most amazing thing ever, but a surprising take on a thriller and certainly an unique score of this sort in Silvestri's repertoire. Some quite interesting colours to be found - almost desplatian woodwinds, brooding suspense, some Celtic elements... Silvestri always does things "by the book", most of the time painfully predictable (well done, though), so this one is really intriguing. I'll be returning to it - that much is certain.

Karol

Spartacus: Love Theme and Variations

Even though, you get to hear the same theme over and over again for the whole 110 minutes of running time, it's a really relaxing and varied compilation. Some of this stuff is truly great - Isham's lenghty and contemporary jazz suite, Desplat's woodwind-only extravaganza, Nathan Barr's/Lisbeth Scott and even cello-driven John Debney version offers something interesting.

:music:The Ninth Gate

Karol

As long as you don't turn into that brony kid who was obsessed with getting My Little Pony music released.

I just don't understand the obsession behind getting the music released.

I have just as much of an "obsession" with pushing for an MLP:FiM soundtrack release as Maleficio has an obsession with pushing for more Georges Delerue soundtrack releases.

Or the collective of FSM pushing for more Star Trek releases.

Or people on this message board obsessing over John Williams.

Think about that the next time you toss around the word "obsession" to describe something in a negative context.

Also, you say that you "have no issues with people loving cartoons", yet you refer to me here as a brony "kid", as though I'm somehow not adult for liking something that you haven't even bothered to look into:

I have no issues with people loving cartoons. I've never watched My Little Pony

And herein lies the problem: Most people who confront me about liking a "little girl's show" don't have a clue what they're talking about as they haven't even bothered to watch at least one or two episodes of the actual show. It's judging the book by its cover - and perhaps those who have issue with it should watch the "Bridle Gossip" episode before speaking about the topic again.

I'm rather amused by your claim that I was sending "perpetual hate mail" to record labels, at that. Do you have evidence of this? Cite your sources, please.

As far as i'm concerned, brony = paedo!

Curses, I've been found out! You might as well call the cops to come arrest me now, as I have been beaten by your intelligent and insightful comments. Clearly the entertainment that one chooses to enjoy is in direct correlation with whether or not they want to molest and/or sexually assault children.

Actually, no, your post is a steaming pile of massive fail. I suppose you think the same of adult animation fans who watch The Powerpuff Girls or Jem and the Holograms.

The whole Brony phenomenon is more weird than creepy. I know some folks who are part of that, and they're pretty normal to me. They just, for some Godforsaken reason, love My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic.

People have their quirks. :whistle:

It's about as weird as Trekkies and Star Wars fanatics dressing up in costume and going to conventions catering to them, yeah.

Er... so today I listened to Paul J. Smith's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. Both the film and its score were to be very influential on me when I discovered them at the age of, oh, maybe 7 or 8, after reading Verne's book.

What a fabulously colorful score, with shades of my beloved Debussy and his countrymen in the rich and sometimes pastel-like orchestration. The cue for the first seafloor walk at the sunken island of Crespo is a highlight, as is the main theme for Nemo himself. The opening titles feature that theme in a shimmering setting for high strings on a rippling bed of harmony in the harp and woodwinds (and other players, I think including the celesta and vibraphone, though the sound quality unfortunately makes it difficult to hear those details). There's also a good deal of classic Disney Mickey Mousing, though not to the degree that some scores from the same period feature it.

I've been longing for a great director to step to the fore and make a completely true-to-book adaptation, with me scoring it. I've had it written in my head for many years now.

Despite the availability of what is, I believe, a complete score album, there are only scraps to be found on Youtube and shared here, so why not check out the whole film?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S62h2eqFtr0

Paul Smith's score is another childhood favourite here, ever since I saw first the film on Saturday afternoon in the summer of '98.

Highlights for me are that stirring underwater burial, the squid attack, all of those short transitional cues for the underwater model shots of the Nautilus (Nemo's theme with the planing low winds and gong), and a dying Nemo steering the sub through the caves of Vulcania.

Oh man, yes. The funeral scene, when he stretches out his hands, always gives me chills. And the tortured reading of Nemo's theme in the tunnel is also very powerful.

Most people who confront me about liking a "little girl's show" don't have a clue what they're talking about as they haven't even bothered to watch at least one or two episodes of the actual show. It's judging the book by its cover - and perhaps those who have issue with it should watch the "Bridle Gossip" episode before speaking about the topic again.

Basil, what is it about My Little Pony that appeals to you? Is it just because you like the music, or does it extend to the actual cartoon itself? Serious question.

No but seriously, maybe the music was really nice in it? I liked quite a lot cartoon music when I was a kid. Perhaps the My Little Pony scoring was of remarkable high quality, I don't know. If that's all it is then I can sort of understand his desire for a decent album release. If that's all it is.

No that's not it. Having to endure a cartoon like My Little Pony would be absolutely excruciating for me. I'm just trying to find out why someone might find it appealing

As long as you don't turn into that brony kid who was obsessed with getting My Little Pony music released.

I just don't understand the obsession behind getting the music released.

I have just as much of an "obsession" with pushing for an MLP:FiM soundtrack release as Maleficio has an obsession with pushing for more Georges Delerue soundtrack releases.

Or the collective of FSM pushing for more Star Trek releases.

Or people on this message board obsessing over John Williams.

Think about that the next time you toss around the word "obsession" to describe something in a negative context.

Also, you say that you "have no issues with people loving cartoons", yet you refer to me here as a brony "kid", as though I'm somehow not adult for liking something that you haven't even bothered to look into:

I have no issues with people loving cartoons. I've never watched My Little Pony

And herein lies the problem: Most people who confront me about liking a "little girl's show" don't have a clue what they're talking about as they haven't even bothered to watch at least one or two episodes of the actual show. It's judging the book by its cover - and perhaps those who have issue with it should watch the "Bridle Gossip" episode before speaking about the topic again.

I'm rather amused by your claim that I was sending "perpetual hate mail" to record labels, at that. Do you have evidence of this? Cite your sources, please.

This entire post is exactly what I was talking about. There are plenty of people with obsessions, I wouldn't object to any of the alternatives you presented. I do have no issues with people loving cartoons. I refer to you as a kid since you seem to lack the maturity to handle different opinions in a controlled and reasonable manner, not because you like ponies. I never called it a little girl's show nor am I juding the show or its music. I'm talking about these inane types of posts where you keep shoving it into people's faces trying to get it noticed and accepted. It creates the opposite response. Stop taking my quotes out of context.

As for your hate mail, as I called it, I seem to recall Roger telling you to stop bothering him with trying to get it released or something.