What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Yummy. I love the sound JWFan braising in a pot, too!

Karol

Some might say JWFan stews in its own juices. ;)

JANE EYRE (Herrmann), the NAXOS rerecording.

I need to pick this one up sometime in the near future.

$4 on Amazon, last I checked.

Well that's good ol' cheap Naxos! :)

I'll purchase it ASAP!

Marianelli's Jane Eyre is exquisite. Perhaps not as lavishly romantic/melodic as its predecessors, but wonderfully crafted all the same.

Recipe for Zimmer stew: Open a raw can of sound design. Warm it up with some synths from RCPs collection. Let it Zimmer a bit and stew in heavy bass marinade for an hour. Serve on a bed of long marinaded processed acoustic instruments and season on the spot with gimmicky guest star performers. Advised sidedish is a hacksaw so you can get through the lower string section, which is when fully cooked so thick and tender you can only go through it with the aforesaid instrument. Recommended wine for meatier version is Chateu Powell-Gregson Williams or Örvarsson of fresh vintage for fishier one. Enjoy if you can.

Sounds tasty!

It's a much better score than you might think. "Subtle" is the word, I reckon. :)

Karol

A lovely score indeed. Took me a while to get into it but the yearning, misty atmosphere of the music soon won me over. Marianelli has a gift for crafting these very singular musical worlds for each of these projects. No great theatrics until the very end and all done in great style. Marianelli is definitely one of the modern composers that always pique my interest.

I think that's my problem with Zimmer. His genius is too subtle.

Oh that's what has been the reason I can't get him or his music! He is too subtle.

Marianelli's Jane Eyre is exquisite. Perhaps not as lavishly romantic/melodic as its predecessors, but wonderfully crafted all the same.

Less showy but no less impressive. His take on this tale of thwarted lovers is indeed subtler and more with the modern times but beautifully refined and lyrical.

Jane Eyre by Dario Marianelli.

Unremarkable, perhaps, but still quite lovely. I'm always a sucker for these types of small chamber scores.

A sampler:

Not the "lite", sickening potpourri I was expecting.

You should check it out. It's wonderful stuff.

I think that's my problem with Zimmer. His genius is too subtle.

Oh that's what has been the reason I can't get him or his music! He is too subtle.

Yeah, subtle.

There is no right or BWOOOOOONG in this matter. Only Boom-tzzz.

Boooooooooooooooooom bom. Such original.

Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secret - John Williams (I begin to listen well-know scores from him - and because I love HP -, and after I'll listen others.)

Jane Eyre by Dario Marianelli.

Unremarkable, perhaps, but still quite lovely. I'm always a sucker for these types of small chamber scores.

A sampler:

Not the "lite", sickening potpourri I was expecting.

Yeah, the development within this score is quite amazing. But, as I said earlier, quite subtle, as well. It's a score that requires a bit more active participation from listeners. Something you will probably appreciate. Marianelli for the win!

Karol

I had a bad taste in my mouth from his big score from last year or the year before; can't even remember which it was or what film it was. It was nominated for the Oscar though. I found it to be one of those quirky, artsy, flowery pieces of lite classical that lacks anything resembling a soul. The kind of musical crime that a handful of locally somewhat beloved composers often commit, but I will remain silent about their identities. ;)

His Jane Eyre seems redemptive.

It certainly wasn't one of his better works. I wouldn't call it shit, but rather average/nothing special.

Check out Agora if you don't like his period-piece style. Fantastic score.

Marianelli is really one of my favourite modern film composers.

No, I suppose it was more a reflection on the director and the type of film he made than the composer's skill and heart. It does what it needs to for the film.

It certainly wasn't one of his better works. I wouldn't call it shit, but rather average/nothing special.

Check out Agora if you don't like his period-piece style. Fantastic score.

Marianelli is really one of my favourite modern film composers.

I didn't like Agora's score when I listened it (about 1 or 2 years ago if I remember). Nothing special (or maybe the last track, full of feelings) The movie is very good, though (one of my bests) !

But Marianelli isn't - for me - such an extraordinary composer. However, I admit he did good job sometimes.

Yes, Anna Karenina is nothing special. even Pride and Prejudice is better. Both represent his more "source music" scoring for period films.

Jane Eyre is on another level altogether.

I also liked his V for Vendetta. A very intelligent score, using some of modern ostinato blockbuster sound (of Batman Begins tradition), but to a much more interesting results. It's much more orchestral and develops a lot of thematic material. His "freedom chords" growing from a simple motif into this forceful march (with many other variations) is quite cool.

Here is a bit more awe-inspiring development of this material (in the second part of this track):

I like his Brothers Grimm, too.

Yes, while the main theme recalls Hollow Man quite a bit. However, I find its slippery harmonic arrangement more interesting than Goldsmith in this case (yes, I said that), And yes, the other theme reminds me slightly of Vertigo. It's nevertheless a rich and dense orchestral score far above Hollywood's usual fare, no matter its inspirations. Obnoxious one, too.

And there's a third theme.

Karol

Anna Karenina was one of the best scores from that year...

An Unexpected Journey, Lincoln, John Carter, Rise of the Guardians, The Amazing Spider-man, High Ground, Jack Reacher, Grabbers, Passion, Brave, Looper, Hitchcock, Wreck-It-Ralph, Black Gold, Cristiada, and Alcatraz were all better.

Wait, people still think the Skyfall score was a good score?

I really need to listen to Life of Pi. Love the main title cue.

Zero Dark Thirty is another one I need to listen to. I tried listening to the Argo OST and could barely get through it, so never got around to ZD3.

I wouldn't put Zero Dark Thirty above Anna Karenina. I just didn't like ZDT. From what little I remember of it, I recall finding it rather pedestrian.

And Karol, spot on. I find V for Vendetta a very interesting score in Marianelli's oeuvre. It's the ostinato-blockbuster sound permeated in heavy European sensibilities, which is often the case with Marianelli. It's interesting stuff with some magnificent flourishes too.

I like his Brothers Grimm, too.

Yes, while the main theme recalls Hollow Man quite a bit. However, I find its slippery harmonic arrangement more interesting than Goldsmith in this case (yes, I said that),

I would go as far as saying that Goldsmith would have produced something along those lines (RED RIDING HOOD!).

There are definitely some Goldsmithian moments in there. Overcooked and less neat than he would have done it, but still.

Speaking of the old metalworker, I'm listening to Star Trek: Nemesis at the moment. It's amazing how this score has grown on me. From one of the least appealing Treks it has become one of my current favourites. Maybe because I generally I prefer moodier film music to the jolly fanfares, which this one delivers in spades. He also does some really cool things with Shinzon's theme, a character development that is quite atypical for this series.

Karol

Anna Karenina was one of the best scores from that year...

An Unexpected Journey, Lincoln, John Carter, Rise of the Guardians, The Amazing Spider-man, High Ground, Jack Reacher, Grabbers, Passion, Brave, Looper, Hitchcock, Wreck-It-Ralph, Black Gold, Cristiada, and Alcatraz were all better.

Aside from Jack Reacher, mostly all mediocre.

There are definitely some Goldsmithian moments in there. Overcooked and less neat than he would have done it, but still.

Speaking of the old metalworker, I'm listening to Star Trek: Nemesis at the moment. It's amazing how this score has grown on me. From one of the least appealing Treks it has become one of my current favourites. Maybe because I generally I prefer moodier film music to the jolly fanfares, which this one delivers in spades. He also does some really cool things with Shinzon's theme, a character development that is quite atypical for this series.

Karol

It's workmanlike but always when i hear people whine how bad it is and then applauding Giacchino for his half-assed efforts i can't help but think that MG never even approaches the structural brilliance of a cue like REPAIRS. I had the misfortune of seeing the movie on tv some afternoon and what even middling JG was able to put behind those perfunctory scenes feels like the firm handjob grip of an old whore with 100 years of practice just knowing her stuff.

From his list: TDKR was a very bad score, Skyfall was so boring, The Avengers was forgettable, and I admittedly really need to listen to Cloud Atlas, Moonrise Kingdom and the aforementioned Life of Pi and ZD30