What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Apparently, that was exactly the intent behind this change. The first version, while more spectacular, felt probably a bit too triumphant at that point in the story.

:music:The Hole by Javier Navarrete

Karol

The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey (Special Edition) by Howard Shore

Indeed it is. One of JNH's best. Again as with most Shyamalan films the score captures what the the film tries to be.

Some say Lady In Water wanted to be a modern fairy tale for the unjaded while others called it a absurd comedy. I'd say JNH thought it was the former.

Some say Lady In Water wanted to be a modern fairy tale for the unjaded while others called it a absurd comedy. I'd say JNH thought it was the former.

Yes exactly.

The film actually worked for me on that level. It seemed internally consistent, and (partly thanks to the score, and also to the wonderful opening title design) had the atmosphere to easily get me into the whole thing.

I've been listening to some music from season 6 Lost albums over the last couple of days. It might be a bit simple in its construct sometimes, even crude. But you can't deny the emotional resonance of it. Even Dan Wallin's recording serves it well - this dry sound is perfect for this. It is still his best work, this show. Some of the themes are wonderful, especially the Heart of the Island theme - the last major piece of the puzzle to be introduced and one of the best:

:music:Roar!

Karol

Iron Man 3 - Brian Tyler

I really like how Tyler approached it like a sequel to The Avengers, rather than Iron Man 2. His voice remains prominent throughout, and even incorporates Debney-like snippets of choir throughout as well as minimizing the electric guitar riffs. It's very enjoyable and the theme is better than the first two, but not by much. The action cues near the end of the album are the prominent highlight, especially "Hot Pepper."

I'll have to hold off buying the CD, until I see how well it plays in the film.

Super Metroid Symphony - Blake Robinson Synthetic Orchestra

Its actually pretty good, I have not heard too much RC'ness yet, a little bit of synth fx, not too distracting.

I've been listening to some music from season 6 Lost albums over the last couple of days. It might be a bit simple in its construct sometimes, even crude. But you can't deny the emotional resonance of it. Even Dan Wallin's recording serves it well - this dry sound is perfect for this. It is still his best work, this show. Some of the themes are wonderful, especially the Heart of the Island theme - the last major piece of the puzzle to be introduced and one of the best:

:music:Roar!

Karol

The Mother/Heart of the Island Theme is certainly among my top 5 themes from Lost. Giacchino beautifully communicated sorrow, love and wonder with that motive. Lost is among the composer's best works and Season 6 was to my ears a further leap up from the previous seasons. Even though the producers trusted Giacchino to participate in the story telling in a very active way from the start they allowed him to drive the emotional undercurrent of the episodes more and more with each season, which resulted in some of the most accessible and dramatic material in the show in the final season and creates a very satisfying musical progression.

:music:Shadows of the Empire by Joel McNeely

Four King Kongs by Steiner, Barry, Scott and Howard, respectively. Each one of them different, but all entertaining in their own right. Now, if only I could listen to Shore's...

Evil Dead, again. Yeah it holds up to repeated listens just fine. :)

Karol

Something Wicked This Way Comes - James Horner

The early 1980s have generated some of Horner's finest work. Natty Gann, Wrath of Khan, this score, and Krull. The main theme for the two boys is just wondrous (especially in "Main Title")... really captures that innocence and autumnal flavor of the setting. Horner takes a gentle, almost psychological terror approach to the score... the scariest it gets is the screeching female choir (straight out of Krull) in "The Spiders" but it's a solid musical journey. That magical "End Titles" music is just divine... I could listen to that on repeat over and over again.

Four King Kongs by Steiner, Barry, Scott and Howard, respectively. Each one of them different, but all entertaining in their own right. Now, if only I could listen to Shore's...

Karol

Next you need Akira Ifukube's two Kong scores. :D

Spider-Man 2 - Danny Elfman

Even though Sam Raimi really treated Elfman and the resulting score badly... what was kept in the film and album really shines. Elfman really kept a firm handle on maintaining stylistic continuity between this and its predecessor, unlike Batman and Batman Returns. The main titles music sounds bigger and grander, and Elfman nicely revisits the Mary Jane and Aunt May motifs. What really makes the score release is the driving action music in "The Bank/Saving Aunt May" and the last three tracks "Armageddon/A Really Big Web", "The Goblin Returns" and "At Long Last, Love." Elfman was able to tell the story, musically, and it works gangbusters in the film and album.

I'm not sure whether this score is a great one, but the theme on which they based Renee Fleming's song is great.

Karol

Agreed. The score is highly effective and fun in the film and the soundtrack album is quite well put together. I find it an enjoyable and more accessible than most of Desplat's recent drama scores. And he clearly had fun with this one with all the themes and colours and energy.

Batman & Robin

It is a bootleg version I've found somewhere years ago. Boy, I would buy the complete release of this. While a lot of it is reused from Batman Forever, there is enough cool material here to justify a full release. In fact, this score might be even a smoother listen than its predecessor.

S.W.A.T.

Completely forgot I had this album. It's really cool, I wish Goldenthal did Iron Man films. He sure would be able to pull it off, judging from this score. One of the few film composers to actually succeed in merging guitars, electronics and orchestra.

:music:Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within

Karol

S.W.A.T.

Completely forgot I had this album. It's really cool, I wish Goldenthal did Iron Man films. He sure would be able to pull it off, judging from this score. One of the few film composers to actually succeed in merging guitars, electronics and orchestra.

Also worth mentioning in regard to e-guitars & orchestra, although in a completely different mood, is his score for In Dreams.

14775_802454.jpg

51eZV+-7SuL.jpg

51i5t9xAMdL._SS500_.jpg

howard-shore-edge-of-darkness-cover.jpg

You gotta thing for Mel Gibson or something?

Nope, though I think Gibson's a great actor. I just needed an excuse to listen to Forever Young again and decided to do sort of a marathon of scores to Gibson movies. Those four were the only scores I own from his movies.

Yes it is, I prefer the old MGM rerecording though (the rozsa treasury version).

I also recommend the re-recording by New Zealand Symphony Orchestra and James Sedares.

Angela's Ashes by John Williams: Magnificent and touching as always.

Oh I remember waiting and waiting for the album for ages back in 1999, when the film and CD came out later here than in US. I must have irritated the CD store people to distraction with my constant question of whether the CD had arrived or not. But I was there in the store when they hauled the boxes in that contained their latest shipment, including my Angela's Ashes album. You just can't beat that moment. Oh the excitement!

And it became one of my favourite scores.

I've been listening to different parts of Da Vinci Code, Frost/Nixon, The Lion King, Inception, Hannibal, Thin Red Line. You know, the good Hans Zimmer stuff.

Karol