What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

You haven't heard it?

It's solid 4 star score with some fun stuff. One of the things that makes the movie!

It's largely minimalistic, but still quite good. Unless contemporary tango guitar rhythms aren't your thing, you'll largely enjoy it. Shows how versatile Shore can be. It's still classic Shore though, I love moments in where you hear the tangy electric guitars on top of churning Shore-aleatorics in the basses.

The tango cues are great, but there's also some more introverted, minimalistic stuff in there. I think its one of those scores you appreciate more for how it works in film, but still quite accessible on album.

Indeed! Would love to hear him tackle the concert hall too.

Have you heard "The Banner Saga"? He just shared it.

Tomorrow Never Dies.

Like the Surrender theme (and all of its variations), Hamburg Break-in, Backseat Driver and Helicopter Ride. That's about it.

"Helicopter Ride" from TND is all-time fave Arnold piece...well that, and his stuff on "Play Dead".

Er... so today I listened to Paul J. Smith's 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea. Both the film and its score were to be very influential on me when I discovered them at the age of, oh, maybe 7 or 8, after reading Verne's book.

What a fabulously colorful score, with shades of my beloved Debussy and his countrymen in the rich and sometimes pastel-like orchestration. The cue for the first seafloor walk at the sunken island of Crespo is a highlight, as is the main theme for Nemo himself. The opening titles feature that theme in a shimmering setting for high strings on a rippling bed of harmony in the harp and woodwinds (and other players, I think including the celesta and vibraphone, though the sound quality unfortunately makes it difficult to hear those details). There's also a good deal of classic Disney Mickey Mousing, though not to the degree that some scores from the same period feature it.

I've been longing for a great director to step to the fore and make a completely true-to-book adaptation, with me scoring it. I've had it written in my head for many years now.

Despite the availability of what is, I believe, a complete score album, there are only scraps to be found on Youtube and shared here, so why not check out the whole film?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S62h2eqFtr0

I'm a bit late to this one, but let me just share your enthusiasm for this score and the book, which still is one of my favorite reads and very influential in my life. I also hope a true-to-book adaption comes to fruition, although and I still think Disney's version, although not 100% faithful, was very true to the spirit of the story.

I also enjoy a great deal John Scott's score for that dismal 1997 tv version. His music for the sea monster (I can't call a Giant Squid, and that sequence is one of the most ludicrous I have ever seen) is particularly fantastic

Looking forward to it. I first discovered him through his guided tour video of his Journey score. Whitacre shared it on Facebook and I was totally enthralled.

Hah, that's how I discovered it myself! I found the textures mesmerizing.

With this latest score, he pushes it even further. The kind of colour he employs in his music is something sadly missing in a lot of today's films.

The tango cues are great, but there's also some more introverted, minimalistic stuff in there. I think its one of those scores you appreciate more for how it works in film, but still quite accessible on album.

Indeed, good stuff.

The Departed by Howard Shore

I was actually surprised how much I liked this score. Very unusual for a film of this kind and works well on the album as well. A nice surprise from Shore and a change of pace from the LotR grandness (he has done quite a few good scores in between the LotR/Hobbit assignments).

BB I looked in my Children of Dune booklet last night and yea, the liner notes mention the 36 cues out of 174 thing. What I found more interesting though was that it says Brian Tyler performed all the vocals himself! WTF!?

Mark Mancina - Speed 2 (La-La Land presentation)

Still a fantastic score. Wish LLL had done it as a 2CD complete score since there is still a bunch of music unreleased.

Chris P Bacon - Source Code

Fun score I've always loved the main title too since I saw the film, starting to get into the rest of the underscore more now too

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me (Complete)

Still loving it. Though Bridge Pursuit seems to stick out like a soar thumb the more I listen to this (though I suppose the sequence in the film was kinda random anyway)

Chris P Bacon - Source Code

Fun score I've always loved the main title too since I saw the film, starting to get into the rest of the underscore more now too

I just can't get over how funny that composer's name is. :lol:

THE PHYSICIAN - Ingo Ludwig Frenzel

Terrible german adaptation of the famous MEDICUS book gets an entertaining score NOT sounding like current RCP trailer music (given the rampant desire of german filmmakers to copy not-so-current Hollywood trends, a small wonder) but more like the quieter parts of something like HIDALGO, meaning string-lead exotic scoring with an arabic hook, some decent wailing and quite a few nice melodies. It's not overly demanding but has an engaging professionell sheen and capable orchestrations. Recommended.

i tried to implement a Spotify widget for instant playback, sadly it didn't work out. It isn't in the bbcode list, maybe it could be added? HERE is the widget.

I think you have to enable Hotmail on the post.

Pavillion of Women by Conrad Pope

I have to take a listen to that one of these days.

Alan Silvestri - Judge Dredd (OST)

Hadn't listened to this in a long time. It's much better than I remembered! GREAT main them, good surrounding music too. I totally forgot that track 11 copies basically note for note the gang's theme from Predator 2 :P Twice!

This score deserves an C&C release for sure!

Star Trek Nemesis: Deluxe Edition. Marvelous! I like some of the album mixes better though.

I like the up-front synths more, formulaic as they are. There is a mean harshness to NEMESIS that makes it not better but at least different than the other more polished efforts JG did for the TNG movies. Though it relies on the one-note Remus theme too much, it still is remarkable how Goldsmith is able to build a unified score out of these tiny thematic strains.

Star Trek Nemesis: Deluxe Edition. Marvelous! I like some of the album mixes better though.

The synths are too formulaic. There is a mean harshness to NEMESIS that makes it different than the other more polished efforts JG did for the TNG movies. it also relies on the one-note Remus theme too much, it is remarkable how Goldsmith thought he could build a unified score out of these tiny thematic strains.

Fixed your post for you, to keep you in character ;)