• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
El Jefe

What Is The Last Score You Listened To?

27293 posts in this topic

I think it's generally considered by most that it is part of the unused finale.

Yeah, it's the only likely explanation. It's just a short snippet, but it leads right into the statement of the love theme in a perfectly natural way. It doesn't sound edited at all. And it seems like it'd be silly to take just that second or two from some OTHER unused, unreleased passage and edit it into the gap before the love theme.

I'm current attempting to stomach Munich. I, I can not!

This is the only John Williams score I absolutely do not like. I can't get into a single track, not even a single moment. It goes in one ear and out the other. I would probably rank most Johnny Williams scores I've heard ahead of it. I've tried with this one. I really have. I can't find anything to appreciate in it. Not one damn thing. It's nothing that I would ever want to listen to. And I think this shall be the final play.

They're completely different. And for the record, the Munich theme is a ripoff of JW's Jane Eyre theme, with all the soul sucked out of it like the rest of the score. Now I feel like listening to Jane Eyre. Good choice.

There is absolutely nothing in Munich to compare with the SL theme, Remembrances, Schindler's Workforce, Making the List, Immolation, Stolen Memories or any of that stuff. Where is this music you speak of?

If you like Schindler's List or Saving Private Ryan, you should have no problem liking Munich.

Not really. I like both of those scores(SPR doesn't interest me nearly as much as SL), but Munich is far inferior. Way less inspired. It almost feels like Williams didn't write it.

Are the main themes between Schindler and Munich so utterly different? Seriously.

They're similar, but Munich's is 100 times weaker. The only time I really like Avner's theme is in the End Credits. Otherwise, it's wholly unremarkable.

I also detest this wailing female. Sounds like the same broad who shows up in Memoirs of a Geisha, just kind of irritating.

I found the wailing female far less annoying in MoaG. In Munich, it comes off as so cliche, but they're just quoting a traditional song in Geisha.

Ghost Writer by Alexandre Desplat: This has grown on a lot on me after I first heard it. The main theme is rather infectous in an off-kilter kind of way. I can't get it out of my head now.

Alien Ressurection, the La La Land version of course. :devil: Seems like a terrific piece of work. Though I've owned the regular edition for years I've never paid this score much attention so it's only now that I've really started discovering and digging into it. I need to give it many spins but first impression is very positive.

Definitely, Mark. At least remember to check the LLL website for low quantity alerts, since it's a limited release ...

3,500 copies is quite a lot. I like how La-La continuously puts out 500 more or less copies than other labels. Those extras really do make a difference, I think. Either way, if The Edge isn't even close to selling out, I think Alien Resurrection has some time.

Fair Game by John Powell.

Umm, yeah. Not much going on here really. I find it hard to believe stuff like this routinely gets on a physical disc.

Jurassic Park. First listen in probably a year and an all-time personal favorite. I was thirteen when the film came out and the music jumped out at me and immediately rekindled a passion for film music that hard literally started when I was 5 years old (Superman). I walked out of the theater with my friend and BEGGED my mom to buy me the soundtrack. She did! I still have that disc.

Love this score.

T-Rex Rescue and Finale still is one of my all time favorite pieces

Excellent cue from an excellent score.

I need that unreleased 15 mins.

Yes. Yes. And YES.

Not bothered, but it'd be cool for you guys to have it.

Listening to a great Halloween playlist. Currently on Horner's Humanoids From The Deep.

Alien 3(The iso score)

I must say, my initial listen to the Alien 3 soundtrack was an epiphany and one of the best experiences I have had listening through an album ever. God, now listening to it completely, that all comes rushing back. It's so awesome! I had always considered the argument that this was Goldenthal's best work a bit of an over exaggeration of its quality, but I get it now. :D

I've never listened to the film version of that.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Say what you want, I still love it. :D

Karol

I've never listened to the film version of that.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull

Say what you want, I still love it. :D

Karol

Me too

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring - The Complete Recordings

The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers - The Complete Recordings

The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King - The Complete Recordings

All in glorious multi-channel surround sound.

Now listening to the The Lord of the Rings: The Rarities Archive. The Appendices, if you will. :D

Even though there is not much "new" on this disc I actually enjoy it. The unused Emyn Muil bit is my favourite.

As for the rest of LOTR...

My thoughts always have been somewhat ambivalent. Yes, there is a lot of detail there and the work at large is very good. I also appreciate what the music has done to the popularization of film music. All these events with symphonies, music played live to the picture, complete recordings, the book etc. It's quite mind-boggling. I myself attended the live to projection performance of TTT last year and it was really a blast. Hearing the music come alive like this is amazing.

But there are also problems with these scores. There is too much tinkering and you can hear it on CR. As I said above, it is good Howard Shore decided to constantly rewrite, but there is so much he could do. The other problems is that there is also a lot of filler, where the music doesn't seem to go anywhere. Don't get me wrong: at their best it is one of the best scores in the past 30 years, but in between these highlights there is also... typical, ever-wandering Howard Shore' music.

Karol

Now listening to the The Lord of the Rings: The Rarities Archive. The Appendices, if you will. ;)

Wow Marc, I wish I had that kind of time!

The only CR I've heard in full is Fellowship.

RotK is too damn long. I'd probably get tired of it a few hours in.

I'm just giving John Debney's Predators my first thorough listen. As a huge fan of Silvestri's original I'm pretty happy with Debney's work, I think he accomplished a fair "crossover" between 1987's original and his own new music. I'm not completely through yet, but I enjoyed the first half very much. True, there are some not so satisfactory moments (e.g. all electric guitar(s) parts could've been left out for all I care), but otherwise, good stuff.

Now listening to the The Lord of the Rings: The Rarities Archive. The Appendices, if you will. ;)

Wow Marc, I wish I had that kind of time!

In all fairness, I listened to FotR yesterday. I just continued with TTT this mornin and had the CR DVD's playing all day.

Currently listening to my lovely new copy of Lost: The Last Episodes while importing the discs into iTunes. Quite fun to hear how the music's progressed since season 1 while still staying in the same vein.

I decided to pick up in the middle of The Lost World: Jurassic Park while getting some work done. "Rescuing Sarah" is amazing...one of my favorite tracks on the OST. The ending also reminds me a little of "You Are the Pan"...not because of how it sounds, but because both are instances of Williams writing music that strikes me as over-the-top and cheesy in the context of the film, but delights me on the album simply because the music itself is so good. "You Are the Pan" is the worse offender of the two, though.

On the whole, TLW is definitely a far better score than I used to give it credit for. The original is still the best, but considering the film he was given to score, Williams definitely took the best approach possible with TLW.