What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

7 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Ah but you were born one of those years where there was no new Williams score.  Seems like bad luck, can't be too careful.  Ewww 1985 is also the year Williams released the recording of "America, The Dream Goes On."  Double bad luck!

I on the other hand was born the year of Witches of Eastwick and Empire of the Sun :D

7 hours ago, Jay said:

I was born in the year of 1941, Alien, and Star Trek TMP!

And I was born in the year of The Sorcerer's StoneA.I., and The Fellowship of the Ring. Top that! :P

57 minutes ago, publicist said:

Oh did my post in the other thread inspire you? I'll give this a listen.

The Edge OST

One of those Goldsmith scores with prominent wailing horns to convey menace - highly effective but became a common trope later in his career. I like the jazz piece at the end.

Indeed. Had it on a playlist since summer 2016. It's a keeper (most of it).

As for 'The Edge': i always found the pictorial outdoor scoring was unique in Goldsmith's later career (mostly technocratic action movies). There are even some of his beloved impressionist touches that were mostly lost in the wilds after 'Legend'. 

5 hours ago, publicist said:

Indeed. Had it on a playlist since summer 2016. It's a keeper (most of it).

As for 'The Edge': i always found the pictorial outdoor scoring was unique in Goldsmith's later career (mostly technocratic action movies). There are even some of his beloved impressionist touches that were mostly lost in the wilds after 'Legend'. 

I love that The Edge is a completely acoustic effort orchestration-wise, although it is somewhat obvious when you listen how Jerrald replicated some of his synth effects on orchestral instruments. In style I might add. I have a special fondness for this score and besides the broad soaring main theme both the action and the suspense are terrifically conceived here. On any release.

Richie Rich - Alan Silvestri

Not nearly, or anywhere close to, as good as Goldsmith's Dennis the Menace in the "90s Children's Movie Scores by Good Composers" pantheon, but still a respectable and fun effort. 

The Sum Of All Fears (LLL)

Impressive latter day Goldsmith score, which manages to have an identity of it's own despite having strong elements from other works of that generel period. In particular the grim conspiracy synths and low piano of Star Trek: Insurrection and LA Confidential. Aboyt halfway through the score the 3 note action motif from Airforce One (amongst others) makes it's appearance.

A stark and impressive work though. Surprisingly restrained in it's heroics, and at times rather moving. With the theme introduced in The Mission as a clear stand out.

One of his last three (non-rejected) scores!   I like that one alright.

16 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Dennis the Menace - Jerry Goldsmith

Rudy - Jerry Goldsmith

Reliving '93-'94 today for whatever reason.

Just want to add that Rudy is one of those half-hour Varese releases that is perfect as is, as an album program.  I'd probably buy an expansion if one were released, but I don't think one is necessary at all.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

The Sum Of All Fears (LLL)

Impressive latter day Goldsmith score, which manages to have an identity of it's own despite having strong elements from other works of that generel period. In particular the grim conspiracy synths and low piano of Star Trek: Insurrection and LA Confidential. Aboyt halfway through the score the 3 note action motif from Airforce One (amongst others) makes it's appearance.

A stark and impressive work though. Surprisingly restrained in it's heroics, and at times rather moving. With the theme introduced in The Mission as a clear stand out.

Wasn't the main theme accused of sounding too much like Zimmer's Crimson Tide because of a temp-tracking. It was a similar criticism thrown at The Thirteenth Warrior's theme as well. Good score too.

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Honest to God, I listened to that one in bed last night getting ready for sleep.

As long as you didn't have a mask on your head and a knife in your hand, it's okay!

2 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

That's one of the few soundtracks where I love all the snippets of dialogue included.  Really sets the mood.

I'm a fan of all those slasher movies... Halloween, Freddy, Friday the 13th.

Anyway, I just watched a Youtube clip and I misremembered the hot tub scene from Halloween II (it's been a few years).  Michael just drowns the nurse in the hot tub, doesn't boil her.

EDIT: Nevermind my nevermind,  the water does boil her face off.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Anyway, I just watched a Youtube clip and I misremembered the hot tub scene from Halloween II (it's been a few years).  Michael just drowns the nurse in the hot tub, doesn't boil her.

EDIT: Nevermind my nevermind,  the water does boil her face off.

I don'T know for you, but as a purist, and talking about the movies, I only consider the three ones from the Laurie Strode Trilogy: Halloween I & II, and Hallowen H20. All the rest never existed, or should have never existed!

I don't actually like any of them after 2, including H20 (although that one can be fun for a laugh).  Including the Rob Zombie ones, although I think The Devil's Rejects is something of a masterpiece.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I don't actually like any of them after 2, including H20 (although that one can be fun for a laugh).  Including the Rob Zombie ones, although I think The Devil's Rejects is something of a masterpiece.

Well, H20 close the loop, it's not a masterpiece, but it does what it have to do.

It's like the Freddy franchise, I consider only the 3 movies from the Nancy Trilogy (movies 1, 3 and 7).

I love Halloween III, and I have a soft spot for 4 and 5 because they're were gritty and eerie and I remember having a crush on Danielle Harris when I was about 7 or 8 while watching them. 6 was a disaster, whichever version you see, but the Producer's Cut makes more sense.

The only reason anyone should ever watch 6 is so they can go "Huh, that's Paul Rudd" and then shut it off.

EDIT:

@Bespin!!  @Baby Jane Hudson!!!

Literally as were discussing the Halloween series, this was announced.  The Laurie Strode storyline isn't so closed after all, eh Bespin!  Haha, this will probably be awful.