What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

And now for a bit more extensive reviews of the albums I promised to review last page. This is for you BloodBoal:

The Spitfire Grill by James Horner: As I mentioned a while back in this thread this is a small gem of a Horner score. He obviously felt emotionally involved with this film since the music shines with subtle yet powerful emotion and attention to detail. The orchestra sounds slightly smaller than in his usual epic films and the composer captures the American small town environment of the film with folksy fiddle, guitar and drum kit and applies his lyrical prowess to the beautiful impressionistic passages that relate to the mystery of the forest and trees in the film, a delicate solo flute conveying a definitive sylvan atmosphere and horn and strings offering soothing melodies for the unfolding drama. I think this is also a very focused 60 minute listening experience ending with a typical to Horner 9-minute long summation of the thematic elements that is a very satisfying way to round up the proceedings. Heartily recommended.

Perfume by Thomas Tykwer et al.: An interesting surprise from composers I had not encountered before hearing this score. The OST is a very well crafted listening experience offering a generous amount of music and giving the music thematic focus and listenability. The music revolves around several thematic ideas, nearly all representing awe and wonder and conveying the world of smells through music but also the dangerous obsessive and murderous side of the main character. Tykwer got the Berlin Philhamoniker and Simon Rattle to perform the score, which is quite unheard of, and the orchestra certainly delivers although you can't say that the music is awfully challenging . At times the score is orchestrationally quite sparse, blending electronic elements with the acoustic ones and piling choirs and soloists on top of them, the concoction actually works quite effectively. The music mixes classical music sensibilities with sound design and achieves surprising grandeur and emotional pull throughout with seductive mix of harmonically beautiful and ominous music.

To be continued...

Perfume by Thomas Tykwer et al.: An interesting surprise from composers I had not encountered before hearing this score. The OST is a very well crafted listening experience offering a generous amount of music and giving the music thematic focus and listenability. The music revolves around several thematic ideas, nearly all representing awe and wonder and conveying the world of smells through music but also the dangerous obsessive and murderous side of the main character. Tykwer got the Berlin Philhamoniker and Simon Rattle to perform the score, which is quite unheard of, and the orchestra certainly delivers although you can't say that the music is awfully challenging . At times the score is orchestrationally quite sparse, blending electronic elements with the acoustic ones and piling choirs and soloists on top of them, the concoction actually works quite effectively. The music mixes classical music sensibilities with sound design and achieves surprising grandeur and emotional pull throughout with seductive mix of harmonically beautiful and ominous music.

To be continued...

You do know that there is not sequel planned for Perfume, don't you?

Anyway, Laura's Murder for the win! (Wow. Weird sentence.)

I meant that the reviews will continue you daft Boal. Do try to keep up young man!

Yes Laura's Murder is a very haunting and tragic piece of music. I love the doom laden feel of the music.

American Journey:

Individually, these pieces are great. In one listen, the album can get a little tiring. When heard together, there's too much competitions - half the tracks have a glorious, wonderfully over the top climax that looses effect when it's heard too often in a given period of time. The music is really good, although it's definitely Williams in his most comfortable comfort-zone. The title piece is a very interesting depiction of America, although it borrows a lot from The Patriot, Saving Private Ryan, and Far and Away. Despite its similarities with "Men of Yorktown March," my favorite piece on the album is "Song for World Peace."

I know everyone goes on about Signs, and how great it is; but it was King Kong which really got me into Newton Howard. Such a simple score, heartfelt and honestly designed. It's crazy to think he was drafted in late to make sense of such a bloated extravaganza of a movie, and deliver a score which feels like it always belonged.

Howard Shore is superb, but his rejected score is not missed. It remains nothing more than a sensationally desirable curiosity.

I know everyone goes on about Signs, and how great it is; but it was King Kong which really got me into Newton Howard. Such a simple score, heartfelt and honestly designed. It's crazy to think he was drafted in late to make sense of such a bloated extravaganza of a movie, and deliver a score which feels like it always belonged.

I think he had 5 weeks to get it done. proves what an absolute genius he is.

and as for signs... no matter how much I listen to it, I just can't seem to like it.

Despite its similarities with "Men of Yorktown March," my favorite piece on the album is "Song for World Peace."

I like Song for World Peace a lot. I think is truly beautiful and emotive. I love the subtle polytonality, and the wonderful harmonic progressions with the strings. Still, I don't feel the "spirit" of peace in the work. For me it depicts something like an important achievement, but of a different nature.

The last score I listened to was Benjamin Farkel's Curse of the Werewolf, from 1959, in a really nice complete recording by the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra, conducted by Carl Davis, released by Naxos.

Despite its similarities with "Men of Yorktown March," my favorite piece on the album is "Song for World Peace."

I like Song for World Peace a lot. I think is truly beautiful and emotive. I love the subtle polytonality, and the wonderful harmonic progressions with the strings. Still, I don't feel the "spirit" of peace in the work. For me it depicts something like an important achievement, but of a different nature.

Very interesting point. I was thinking about that today while listening, and what I decided was the opening theme represents the power that a nation holds to influence the world in various ways. As the piece continues it grows less sure of itself, more complicated, a little melancholic, as these powerful abilities to get things done are met with the complications of the world. The second theme seems to be the more human side of politics, and it's not until that combines with the pragmatic and effective tools of the world that the piece can truly blossom and achieve impressive results (the greatest result being world peace). It seems more like Williams is proposing a formula for peace--effective leadership combined with ethical considerations.

Of course, that's just my interpretation. Anyways, welcome to the board!

It seems more like Williams is proposing a formula for peace--effective leadership combined with ethical considerations.

Of course, that's just my interpretation. Anyways, welcome to the board!

This idea really makes sense for me! Both intellectually and musicaly speaking.

Thanks for the welcome! :) I've been following this forum for a long time!

yeah, absolutely wonderful! favorite cue?

I can listen to "Beautiful" over and over again.

That and Central Park. Though nearly the whole score is fabulous. Except that I'm not to keen on the last few cues. JNH in Shore mode doesn't really work for me.

My other JNH favourite is Lady in the Water.

Les Choristes: After the bombast of American Journey, this was a very refreshing listen. Gorgeous score.

I love Bruno Coulais' score for this film. Its just so magical in a sense. You can't help but be taken away by the choir. Great score!

Les Choristes: After the bombast of American Journey, this was a very refreshing listen. Gorgeous score.

I love Bruno Coulais' score for this film. Its just so magical in a sense. You can't help but be taken away by the choir. Great score!

I remember that the music in the film was very impressive being such a central element of the movie. I have not had a chance to listen to the album but I think I should rectify that ASAP. :)

That and Central Park. Though nearly the whole score is fabulous. Except that I'm not to keen on the last few cues. JNH in Shore mode doesn't really work for me.

The action music in the last half gets on my nerves (it's too generic and frenetic), but that's not so much JNH's fault. The whole score is a wonderful mixture of Old and New Hollywood. The yearning motif JNH conjures up in key moments (as when Kong has crushed the T-Rexes) is romantic bliss.

King Kong is a very good JNH score, wonderful when you consider the time pressure he was under. I find myself more drawn to the quieter material like Central Park and Beautiful than the aggressive action music though.

Fair point, Incancus. It seems to me that JNH is divided into 2 categories:

"gritty, urban" scores ("GC", "FD", "The Saint Of Fort Washington", etc., and "epic" scores "WE", "KK", "WW", etc.

I have not yet heard "The Hunger Games", but I have high hopes for it (I found "Water For Elephants" underwhelming).

I do not like his comedy scores.

P.s., is the the really quiet, ethereal music that plays over the "bug attack" on the cd?

Ben Hur and the Empire Strikes Back.

with the death of my mp3 player it's back to CD's.

Aah, that's a shame, as it's a rare piece of inspired underscoring.

That it is (many disagree, but I find the scene very effectively scored), but I doubt it would be all that interesting on CD.

I love most of the action music, but as others have said, the quieter bits are the highlights for me as well. Also, it's a surprisingly thematic score considering the time restraints. Kong alone has two different themes, and there are several more.

War Horse and Tintin

They're pretty damn good. ;)

Back to Gaya

Lovely score. Even though, it more plays like a tribute, Michael Kamen's ghost is looming over it, clearly.

Right now listening to the 100 minutes of alternates from Ben-Hur. I've separated the whole set into five playlists: The film score, three LP albums, and the alternates. That's the best way to listen to it, I think. What's surpsrising these alternates almost create a score album of their own. And very good one at that.

Karol

Beautiful 70 degree day. I felt no shame driving home blasting the EPCOT 1982 entrance medley with the windows down. Late afternoon, I layed out under the sun in the bed of my truck listening to War Horse. It's a good score, but it's by no means a favorite JW. I know that now.

Never heard that one. Is it good?

Karol

I am by no means a Rozsa expert, but it's enjoyable enough. I bought it mostly for the variation on Dies Irae in the track titled "Dies Irae," and that's still what I like best about it. But the rest of the score is pretty good, too. Can't say I've given it enough attention to really understand the score or review it properly, but it's a pleasant listening experience.

http://www.amazon.com/Legendary-Hollywood-Miklos-Rozsa-Anthology/dp/B000003JVM/ref=sr_1_5?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1332115457&sr=1-5

Get this, indy4. It has a wonderful brass/organ suite from Young Bess, about 15 minutes long. It has a nice development of the Dies Irae material in the suite.

Thanks! I think you've told me about this before. It's on my "to buy" list, but it probably won't happen for awhile given all the other stuff that's also on the list.

Just listened to Philip Glass' 1000 Airplanes on the Roof. This is probably my favorite work by Glass, it's fantastic. The climax in "Where Have You Been Asked the Doctor" is chilling.

On The Town - A great first listen. I hear some welcome foreshadowings of West Side Story and Candide. What a fun score, I cannot wait to get to know this better.

its still WAY better than their dragon tattoo score

It's like saying dog poop is better than cat poop. In the end, it's just poop.

Dogs don't eat their own, but a cat's poop is like a candy bar.