What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

The Avengers, Alan Silvestri.

Quite generic, but very listenable action score. Silvestri's style is actually 100% right for Marvel. Its weird this score isnt better?

Still, the theme is very cool. And welk used throughout the franchise now. I love Elfmans version of it.

Medal of Honor: Frontline by Michael Giacchino: Some Gia's most entertaining music and the lengthy album flows very nicely without overstaying its welcome.

I skipped the songs, there are two or three versions throughout the album. My favorite track is this, it joins the main ideas of the score. I've never seen the movie, but I imagine in a church or an empty road because of the bells.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

A Christmas Carol - Nick Bicât

One of my favorite Xmas scores for one of my favorite Xmas movies.

Christmas a humbug?  Surely you don’t mean that.

"Eeeeeeeeeehhhhhhrrrrrrreeeeeeerrrrrrrr"

How to Train Your Dragon by John Powell

How to Train Your Dragon 2 by John Powell

Lair by John Debney (and Kevin Kaska)

Listened to the 3 track Goodbye, Mr. Chips suite from Richard Addinsell's 1939 score.

love it.  Beautiful and memorable music.  Sadly, I've never seen the film.  I plan to one day; loved Robert Donat in Hitchcock's The 39 Steps

(tracks 1-3 below)

Typo... I don't know why the "3" is so near of the "2" on the keyboard!

But, in a sense, I always have been a little bit a kind of a visionary.

1 hour ago, Fal said:

Whoa, I didn't know there was a version of the LP programme on CD.

Well, that's exactly for those kind of infos that I made a John Williams discography!

The Last Jedi will be John Williams's 143rd album. His 184rd if we count the expanded reissue albums (I anticipate the release of CE3K).

The rest, I don't care!

Hard Rain by Christopher Young: A competent action-thriller score, overall somewhat craftsman-like in quality with some glimpses of excitement and thematic grooviness. The main title is wonderfully dramatic and presents both main themes, "the power of water/nature" on powerful horns and the harmonica led "bad guy theme" for Morgan Freeman but sadly the rest of the album doesn't quite live up to the dynamic opening.

Third Person by Dario Marianelli

Just stumbled onto this on Spotify. The album is too long, but gosh,  Marianelli seems to nail the stylized Newman drama/thriller aesthetic better than the real deal himself. 

Oh I forgot this already came out.

I'm having a Danny Elfman evening tonight. Some of his best work he's written this century came from projects that were in no way film-related. That is where he excels the most and where his modern voice can be truly expressed. That is probably I'm more interested in his recent violin concerto than any in his recent film works.

And his finest current film work is being written for documentaries.

:music:The Nightmare Before Christmas

Karol

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

What does that mean?

Last night, I was going to post the same question. Makes me think of those exaggerated "The internet is losing it's MIND!" headlines referring to mindboggling images and sentences to that Sulu would share on Facebook.

I just listened to John Barry's Starcrash (1978). Kitsch 70s sci-fi film, which, though I haven't seen it, looks wonderfully bad - but to me Barry's score is just plain wonderful.

32 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I like that Elfman uses his old Batman theme and JW's Superman theme!

In Batman v Superman?

12 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Last night, I was going to post the same question. Makes me think of those exaggerated "The internet is losing it's MIND!" headlines referring to mindboggling images and sentences to that Sulu would share on Facebook.

People on the Internet lost their mind when they heard what Danny Elfman would do for his new Superhero score. When they read about it, they couldnt believe it!

Tokyo Ghoul by Don Davis

Brothers Grimm by Dario Marianelli

Luna by Austin Wintory

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri by Carter Burwell

Lincoln by John Williams

On 17.11.2017 at 4:28 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

Do you mean in general?  Because I don't think that's the case with Glass. 

Maybe he sometimes just prefers to write for film, if it's a film project he finds intriguing.

How to Train Your Dragon (1 and 2) - John Powell

Had never heard these before, but they're really great.

Pan - John Powell

This was pretty good too, although the main theme was a little distracting because it's (probably unintentionally) plagiarized from a Church hymn:

(Compare, e.g., to very beginning of Powell's first cue)

Indeed. It has more to do with the heavy influence of English music on his work. You hear strains of Britten or old English hymns all over his scores.

:music:The Snowman by Marco Beltrami. The film might be indeed a trainwreck but the score is something else entirely. Bit Herrmannesque, bit Elfmanesque... it is just perfect for a thriller set against a wintry backdrop. Very classy. One of 2017's very best (not a difficult task, by the way).

Karol