What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

21 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Hellboy by Marco Beltrami. In the 21st century comic book film scoring this one ranks quite high. God bless Varese and their DE. The OST sounded dreadful and was a poor representation.

Karol

It is one of the few Beltrami scores I have ever warmed up to. It is kind of shame he didn't score the sequel although Elfman's score isn't half bad either.

Great great great headphone journey!

CE3K - LLL (the two CDs)

Family Plot (Varèse Sarabande)

Mike Matessino rules! :worship:

I love this man so much that if one day he touches the score of Images, I will have no choice to start to love it. :P

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

It is one of the few Beltrami scores I have ever warmed up to. It is kind of shame he didn't score the sequel although Elfman's score isn't half bad either.

"Warmed up to"? Inky, do you work-out, to it? Dancercise? Do you do the HELLBOY pasodoble?

2 hours ago, Bespin said:

... if one day he touches the score of Images, I will have no choice to start to love it. :P

You'd better start loving it. It's for your own good, you know. You better, you bet!

I've decided to add the album "Lights, camera... music!" to the 24 chosen ones that I previously converted in WAV on my HD SD Cards.

:up:

22 hours ago, Richard said:

"Warmed up to"? Inky, do you work-out, to it? Dancercise? Do you do the HELLBOY pasodoble?

Har har har.

Ready Player One :music:

Awesome!  Silvestri's best since The Mummy Returns, maybe even a bit better (which would technically make this my favorite Silvestri score).  The album is fairly long but it never drags and there are no unneeded tracks.  

Between this, Black Panther, and the upcoming Powell/Williams Solo score, 2018 is off to an unexpectedly good start.  

The Cincinnati Kid by Lalo Schifrin

Delightful, and a tad Powell-esque for my ears. I recall hearing somewhere that Schifrin was an influence on him, so it's interesting to hear a confirmation. 

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

Ben-Hur (Tadlow)

The Passion of the Christ Symphony

The Gospel of John

Passion (aka The Last Temptation of Christ)

Karol

At last someone who remember that it's Easter!

54 minutes ago, Bespin said:

At last someone who remember that it's Easter!

4 hours ago, Richard said:

Every Easter, I play the original recording (Ian Gillan, et. al.) of JESUS CHRIST, SUPERSTAR, and PASSION, by Peter Gabriel.

What was my selection then, Bes, chopped liver?

I've not seen THE GOSPEL OF JOHN, but only one of the other films that Croc mentioned - as good as they are - has anything like a ressurection scene.

Apart from some nice playful moments it's sadly mostly musical idle-running without much distinction (the running time approaching Ben-Hurian dimensions definitely contributes). That Silvestri hasn't ever updated his action writing since the Roger Rabbit days isn't much of a problem when he's firing on all cylinders (Mummy Returns, Judge Dredd, Predator 2) but he isn't here. The theme and some of the warmer moments (written, it seems, for some idealist idea that sadly isn't on display for the monotonous action scenes) save it somewhat but on the whole it's only blissfully mediocre.

They did this hilarious cover for the german dub, translated 'What a christmas tree dreams of in May' (Do you know how christmas trees are grown'). The movie never really recovers from it.

Now, just a damn minute!

You said that you listened to both INTERSTELLAR, and IMAGES, in less than fifty minutes, but the former is over an hour in length, and the latter is at least thirty minutes in length, so how could you listen to both in less than one hour? You're rumbled, mate :lol:

Pirates Trilogy by Zimmer&Friends

Where do I even begin with these ones? These are the scores that first got me into looking for expanded scores /bootleg rips. Like the Battle of Endor (SE) brings back memories of being 9, sitting on the floor playing with toys, listening to it on my cool as hell MP4 player, these take me back to around 2010, making Lego stop-motion movies with my friend, creating the papercraft Millenium Falcon in the garage in late August while listening to Tortuga, The Kraken and Wheel of Fortune on an endless loop, Mom coming in to tell me our Math/Physics/homeroom teacher died... OK, it doesn't all have to be pleasant memories, does it?

The first one I never appreciated too much, even when first abandoning the boot rips and doing a sessions edit (ah, the good old VirtualDJ days...), until recently abandoning those old 96kbps (for storage *shudders*) files and redoing it all in lossless form lossless sources. This was the first time those distinct textures with all the bass and ever-present exotic percussion were revealed and I immediately fell in love. It's a tight, fun adventure score with some charmingly over-the top moments like the kiss at the end (I guess a callback to the old swashbucklers).

The second one can't always decide between being the more simplistic and fun score the first one was, and the weighty war epic the third one will be, but overall still pretty good. The new Jack motifs really hold it all together. The Kraken can't really shine outside of its concert suite except for the buildup segments. I can't for the life of me understand why that one note was removed ffrom the film version of Davy Jones' Theme, but it's still good.

The third one is just a league of its own, abandoning those familiar percussion-y textures for restrained, subtle romantics or all-out bombastic epicness. The Hoist The Colours theme is awesome, especially since it comes from a source song, the Love theme is bittersweet and surprisingly versatile, the Singapore segment is great, the finale wraps everything up very satisfyingly, I could say it's one of Zimmer's masterpieces. Thank Calypso he only got bored when he got to the fourth one, where it really shows in a lot of parts, but it doesn't even deserve much better.