What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Alan Silvestri - Ready Player One

It's alright

Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE, Kenji Hiramatsu, and Manami Kiyota - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

It's fantastic

40 minutes ago, Jay said:

It's fantastic

Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE, Kenji Hiramatsu, and Manami Kiyota - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

I haven't heard this one

Agreed

Ice Age: Continental Drift by John Powell

I've recently experienced the horrifying realization that Jurassic Park and Ice Age are the only series where I own the score for each film.

I did not intend for this to be the case. It just...turned out that way.

Black Panther

Finally got around to listening to this after seeing @Not Mr. Big (and others) praising it so much! It does run a little long, but there are some GREAT moments. I mean, just listen to this:

:lovethis:

The Post, by John Williams :music:

To be perfectly honest, it's nothing special. Granted, "The Presses Roll" and "Two Martini Lunch" are pretty fun cues, but everything else is... alright. Maybe it works better in the film than as a listening experience, but I haven't seen it yet.

*** and 1/2 out of *****

:music: Thor: Ragnarok by Mark Mothersbaugh. Average ingredients compiled incredibly well. Along with Black Panther, it's one of the more exciting Marvel scores. Somehow, I doubt Silvestri can do better...but we'll see.

Karol

Damnation Alley by Jerry Goldsmith

Lincoln by John Williams

Angela's Ashes by John Williams

13 hours ago, Will said:

Black Panther

Finally got around to listening to this after seeing @Not Mr. Big (and others) praising it so much! It does run a little long, but there are some GREAT moments. I mean, just listen to this:

:lovethis:

It's a lot of fun and quite moving at times (who would have expected that from an MCU film of all places!).  Here's hoping Ludvig Gor... gets more big assignments in the future.

Not doing it for me other than that nice Main Title track; Hopefully after seeing the film my thoughts will change

James Horner - Living In The Age of Airplanes

Glorious!

Michae Giacchino - Spider-man: Homecoming

Fun!

41 minutes ago, Jay said:

Not doing it for me other than that nice Main Title track; Hopefully after seeing the film my thoughts will change

This needed to be a shorter release. 50 minutes max. Not the longest OST ever for a Spielberg film.

First thing I would get rid of is this end credits suite. It's absolutely pointless. And then I would also drop all this modern "thriller" music. The remaining music would indeed give something between 50-60 minutes of very solid Silvestri.

:music: Ready Player One

Karol

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

This needed to be a shorter release. 50 minutes max. Not the longest OST ever for a Spielberg film.

But then people would be begging for a Deluxe Edition decades later.

:music: The Death of Stalin by Christopher Willis. As far as Shostakovich pastiches go, this one is really convincing. The 29-minute album is succinct and concise and cannot possibly ever outstay its welcome. Entertaining.

Karol

Ice Age: Collision Course by John Debney

Probably the least great score of the fivesome, especially bittersweet coming off the epic Powell "trilogy". Still fun modern cartoon scoring, and intertwining both Newman and Powell themes is awfully kind of him. Alas, while Powell's scores were musical narratives, Debney's just providing orchestral background noise to poop jokes.

Star Wars The Force Awakens by John Williams: Jolly good stuff. Jolly good.

Rio and Rio 2 by John Powell

Just experimenting around trying to blend in songs and score together. I don't know what the general consensus in terms of which score is better, but I admit to liking the sequel score a teeny bit more. It embraces the Brazilian sound a bit more. Flying from the original is a classic cue though, among other highlights.

Also, grandpa is convinced the "Real in Rio" song sounds like Jeepers Creepers. :P

Isle of Dogs, by Alexandre Desplat :music:

Pretty good! A very quirky and unusual score that, while not especially complex or intricate, is still a pretty fun listening experience.

**** out of *****

Ice Age: Continental Drift by John Powell

Such a beautiful end to a delightful trilogy of scores, each one with own unique flavor (pirates for this one, dinosaurs for the last one, and just generally having fun introducing his soundscape for the first). I mean, reprising the Mammoths theme from The Meltdown? YES. VERY YES. 

Angela's Ashes by John Williams: Music for my soul. Absolutely gorgeous from start to finish.

:music:The Book Thief by John Williams

STAR WARS

As far as I'm concerned, this may be the perfect score.

The Rocky Horror Picture Show

When's this finally getting a "proper" release? The people need Rocky Comes Alive, Zen Room and Rocky Runs from Riff-Raff! 

On 03/04/2018 at 11:32 AM, Stefancos said:

s-l500.jpg

The brief must have been "bigger than Goldfinger" and it works.

It's big, and bold, and brassy, but, like the film, it's ultimately ephemeral, and a little empty. It's like cotton candy: nice to eat, but it doesn't satisfy you.

The next two Barry Bonds, however, are class personified.

Hmm. Good question. A big 30th anniversary collection was released in...well...1992, and included a lot of unreleased music. There's also a COP box called BOND BACK IN ACTION, which goes up to TWINE. Its not bad and has the Orient Express music from FRWL, the elevator music from AVTAK, and the film version of A NICE DRIVE THROUGH ST. PETERSBURG, from GoldenEye. I know that that's not Barry, but...:)

Many, many Barry compilations exist, but, as for Bond, it's simply best to make your own awesome mix tape.

I'd recommend you include:

JAMES BOND THEME

BOND TAKES THE LEKTOR

DAWN RAID ON FORT KNOX

BOND UNDERWATER

SPACE MARCH

JOURNEY TO BLOFELD'S HIDEAWAY

SLUMBER INC.

TO HELL WITH BLOFELD

FLIGHT INTO SPACE

and EXERCISE AT GIBRALTAR