What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Yeah I agree, it's not very good.

Weren't you supposed to leave?

Just because you were stupid enough to believe....

Hey, don't you insult Old Ink! He's not stupid! He is... simple-minded.

I prefer befuddled, thank you very much! :pfft:

And anyway Steffy is right. Goldsmith's Planet of the Apes is not a very good score.

Incanus of Many Colours!

You take that back right now mister! Why I haven't been this insulted well since... BloodBoal's above post!

I'm listening to the Conan the Destroyer right now. I'm rather enjoying it. Sure, it is a bit thematically derivative and lighter in tone (from its predecessor), but the album is really good (it's just 83 minutes long with all the extras). Some of the orchestrations seem much more modern than Barbarian, but that makes it really stand out. And Sword and Sorcery suite is a real treat and a highlight of this recording. Good thing to have!

Karol

I'm listening to the Conan the Destroyer right now. I'm rather enjoying it. Sure, it is a bit thematically derivative and lighter in tone (from its predecessor), but the album is really good (it's just 83 minutes long with all the extras). Some of the orchestrations seem much more modern than Barbarian, but that makes it really stand out. And Sword and Sorcery suite is a real treat and a highlight of this recording. Good thing to have!

Karol

I too might have to get both Conan re-recordings in the future. Pretty terrific stuff and I really like the re-recording's sound quality. In this instance not being too familiar and attached to the original recording is a blessing.

And Sword and Sorcery suite is a real treat and a highlight of this recording. Good thing to have!

Karol

I like how it bridges the gap between the 2 Conan Scores, it takes elements from the first score, but also introduces elements which Poledouris would further develop in the destroyer.

I'm really starting to like this guy (Poledouris). His output is severly misrepresented in my collection (I've got these two, the original Conan album, Red October and I think one more). I must investigate his work further.

Can anybody say something about his Breakdown? LLL did quite an elabore set of this score last year.

Karol

Sleepers by John Williams: A very dark yet somehow lyrical and very powerful score from the Maestro. This is one of those chameleon-like scores from the composer, so unique is the sound and ambience of the music compared to his big blockbusters. Thoughtful woodwind solos, ghostly choir chanting Latin Mass text, electric bass, forlorn and haunting horn solos and delicate flute playing accompanied by synth and real percussion that adds a modern day feel to it all come together from the ecclectic parts to form a compelling whole that is propulsive, psychologically charged and dramatic all at once.

The score is rooted in several motifs that help to tie the ecclectic elements together. The main theme is rarely heard, a redemption melody for the whole cast of the main characters, celebrating their victory in the film. Williams builds upon this melody in the Hell's Kitchen track, weaving the triumphant main theme with the other motifs heard in the score. Another prominent idea is a solo horn call, representing isolation and loneliness, both physical and mental that the characters whose lives were destroyed while so young endure. Another distinct 4-note construct accompanies the revenge, violence and horror involved in the whole story and a dies irae-styled ever forward moving motif sets pace to the plot of the main characters to find redemption, hinting at the day of reckoning for the guilty in the story. A solemn string idea revolves around the experiences the boys go through in the youth prison and the physical violence receives its own wailing brass and percussion motif reprised a couple of times on the album.

The bleakness of the musical landscape might be found off-putting by many but I would suggest the listener to persevere since this is a wonderful and intricate piece of film scoring, challenging but extremely rewarding in the end. The 56 minute album is well put together and offers a good listening experience that has a solid dramatic arc which takes you from the deep gloom of the first half of the album to a gradual musical redemption when you reach the magnificent Reunion and Finale with a particularly noteworthy heart melting flute solo and Williams-styled sense of closure.

It's my favorite score of the 90's. This is one album where listening perseverence really paid off. The score just opened up

I'm really starting to like this guy (Poledouris). His output is severly misrepresented in my collection (I've got these two, the original Conan album, Red October and I think one more). I must investigate his work further.

Can anybody say something about his Breakdown? LLL did quite an elabore set of this score last year.

Karol

The 2nd CD of that set is a good listen, the other 2 CDs...not so much

But if you're low on Poledouris collection, make sure you get a hold of Les Miserables, one of his best.

And if I may be so bold, I would say I like the Tadlow re-recording of Conan over the original. They did a fantastic performance and to hear his powerful score in such astonishing quality is a true treat.

Cobb by Elliot Goldenthal

Brilliant! Film music world desperately needs Elliot Goldenthal back. Back does Elliot Goldenthal need film music world?

Karol

To me, Poledouris forte always was bringing up wonderfully lyrical moments in even the most unexpected circumstances. For example, my favourite part from Conan is Theology/Civilization. There are similar highlights in Red October.

And along the same lines, Starship Troopers is a brilliantly heavy score full of fanfares and pounding action music, but the highlight is the wonderful Asteroid Grazing.

Flesh+Blood is a medieval Poledouris classic for another Verhoeven movie. Wind is sometimes written off as too synthy, but has become one of my favourites. The sparkling synths really give you the feel of being on a boat. You can hear that Poledour's passion was surfing. Farewell to the King is another classic. Les Misérables is mostly on the lyrical side and still manages to come up with extra-lyrical bits as highlights; one of his best for sure.

His final score was The Legend of Butch and Sundance, a wonderfully energetic Western score with lots of acoustic guitar.

I will some check some of these out. Thanks, Marian!

In the meantime I just finished listening to the Tadlow's recording of Lawrence of Arabia. Now I can understand what James Fitzpatrick meant when he said his previous recording didn't meet his expectactions. And boy, did he deliver this time. Lush, powerful stuff.

Karol

Just be aware of reissues and stuff. Flesh+Blood and Farewell to the King have both seen remastered expansions (and in the case of F+B, even a remaster of the remastered expansion). Misérables seems to creep up at times as a candidate for a new limited release, though I don't know why and can't recall how much is missing from the existing CD. Starship Troopers has an all too short official release (with great sound, mind you) and a fine sounding unmentionable with tons of extra stuff. To my knowledge, nobody is expecting an official expansion, but I certainly hope there will be one rather sooner than later.

In the meantime I just finished listening to the Tadlow's recording of Lawrence of Arabia. Now I can understand what James Fitzpatrick meant when he said his previous recording didn't meet his expectactions. And boy, did he deliver this time. Lush, powerful stuff.

I never warmed up to the OST album. It wasn't until I heard the ouverture in concert that I started to appreciate the score. The Tadlow is, as we've all said before, fantastic.

And I still have to see the film.

Tintin:

My opinion of this score is basically unchanged. All of it is good, some of it is great. The best three cues (Adventures of Tintin, Sir Francis and the Unicorn, and The Adventure Continues) are also the three cues that Williams did NOT try to sync with the picture, further evidence that he should score books. Overall it's probably the weakest JW score in a while, although like I said it's still good.

HOOK. It was rubbish...

No, seriously, this is a fantastic score and I'm glad I'm finally able to appreciate it. I used that Yor guy from FSM's tracklist because it seemed to appropriate the film order (although I didn't edit) and the alternate version of prologue. Really loved it, really lyrical and exhilarating, and I can see why this is considered a massive score for JW considering the style and its further development in later scores (which was a bit distracting occasionally, because I heard Potter and AI in there, obviously an evolution of that sound but which I'm more familiar with. Oh, and the AOTC love theme!). I need to give it more listens, but it's really great stuff.

JOHN CARTER

Amazing. The track 'John Carter of Mars' has become an instant classic in my mind.

Oh, and the 'exit music' was great, a lovely homage to scores of old (and Alfred Newman). Wonderful.

To take a break from Hook I listened to:

Unbreakable by James Newton Howard

The Village by James Newton Howard

The Sixth Sense by James Newton Howard

The Happening by James Newton Howard

All top-notch JNH scores. It is amazing how much Shyamalan's movies inspired him since these scores are among his all-time best and feature both beautiful and intelligent writing that often relies on subtlety over large orchestral forces.

:music: Lady in the Water

To take a break [...]

Unbreakable by James Newton Howard

I suppose you think you're funny?

Nobody's perfect. Or funny. It was an innocent mistake. As innocent as a Starfox in a hen house.

BLACK SUNDAY. Fantastic. I love the way this sounds, it reminds me of some of the non-thematic work from JAWS and STAR WARS. But it was a bit odd at first hearing that theme and thinking "Where have I heard that before?" only to realise it was used in the trailer for TMP.

Sinatra and the Count Basie Jazz Orchestra at the Sands Hotel

Frank Sinatra is the epitome of cool. What a great CD. I also love how he refers to "The Shadow of Your Smile" as a "brand new song."

Saw Titanic this evening, so naturally listened to the score when I got home. ::sigh:: a little ashamed, but still hopelessly in love with it.

Bravo, Mr. Horner.

1000 Airplanes on the Roof

I think this is my favorite work by Philip Glass (that I've heard, at least). And there's nothing better than a dark, cynical, psychedelic synth/woodwind-heavy work to get me in the mood for Hook this weekend. :) (And no, that alliteration was not intentional.)

BLACK SUNDAY. Fantastic. I love the way this sounds, it reminds me of some of the non-thematic work from JAWS and STAR WARS. But it was a bit odd at first hearing that theme and thinking "Where have I heard that before?" only to realise it was used in the trailer for TMP.

Fantastic score. Might be actually among my favourites works of Williams.

Karol

Which reminds me, I should listen to it again after a long break. Such a great score.

squanto.jpg

Squanto (Joel McNeely) 1994

Going back to the golden 90's, where sunday afternoon Disney movies could have sweeping traditional scores sometimes can make one nostalgic. McNeely is his usual derivative self (heavily referencing Williams, i. e. FAR AND AWAY and LAST CRUSADE), but it's still a damn good score, written with an assured hand. There are several lyrical americana melodies and bustling set pieces for hawkings, abductions, reunions and such. The album is too long (of course), but delivers a solid 45 minutes of robust adventure scoring.

For any lover of traditional Williams scores, this should be a winner.

The First Knight by Jerry Goldsmith

:music: Black Sunday by John Williams

Heavy Metal - Elmer Bernstein

I actually won my copy in one of FSM's Ear of the Month contests a couple years ago, but I would gladly have paid money for this score. Who knew that a movie like this could inspire such a magical and beautiful score? The main Taarna theme is just absolutely gorgeous, I'd honestly say one of his most beautiful, and his beloved ondes martenot is used to great effect in this score. Really lovely.

Predator. I've been listening to this quite a lot over the past week. It's a fantastic score, very restrained and carefully bulit.

Karol

By Love Possessed - Elmer Bernstein

Another truly beautiful score. Unabashadly romantic. The main theme is really great and has some wonderful, expressive statements throughout the score. I believe that this Varese Club edition is sold out? It's a shame that it is, because this is one of those Bernstein essentials.

GNP's complete release for Star Trek First Contact. The sound quality on this release is MUCH better than the OST or any of the boots. Mike Matessino and Bruce Botnick did an outstanding job of remastering it. Hopefully whenever we get Star Trek Generations, Mike Matessino remasters that too.

GNP's complete release for Star Trek First Contact. The sound quality on this release is MUCH better than the OST or any of the boots. Mike Matessino and Bruce Botnick did an outstanding job of remastering it. Hopefully whenever we get Star Trek Generations, Mike Matessino remasters that too.

Awesome! I can't wait to hear it myself!

I just listened to

The Adventures of Tintin - Mr. Williams

Believe it or not, this is only the 3rd time listening to this for me. I like it more each time. The music is so playful, infectious. I love snowy's theme and tintin's theme. It's just a really fun score from start to finish. It's awesome that even in his old age, Williams is still as sharp as ever.

Meet Joe Black by Thomas Newman: I took a listen to this after a long time. Takes your breath away. One of the best romantic drama scores in existence. The whole score is built on several recurring musical ideas that culminate in the grand finale of The Next Place which is one of the highlights of Newman's career as it simply exudes yearning and poignancy. The love theme for Death in Whisper of a Thrill and Someone Else? is a bitter sweet affair of delicate Newman magic.

I don't think I'll ever get tired of Whisper of a Thrill. the awesomeness of your music taste knows no bounds!

Well thank you. :)

Have you heard How to Make an American Quilt by Newman? Another beautiful and haunting (but short) score. Oscar and Lucinda holds the special place in my Newman collection though. A truly beautiful and mesmerizing score.

:music: Night Orchard from How to Make an American Quilt

JOHN CARTER, first time on my stereo. I love the score, but the CD mix sounds a bit muddy and muted. On headphones it's ok, it just seems a little underwhelming through proper speakers.

Have you heard How to Make an American Quilt by Newman? Another beautiful and haunting (but short) score. Oscar and Lucinda holds the special place in my Newman collection though. A truly beautiful and mesmerizing score.

yes, haven't listened to it too much but it's a sweet little score.

what do you think about little women? I haven't seen the movie but it's one of the few scores that doesn't have a single cue I don't love.