What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, JTWfan77 said:

not sure about Jackman's though, haven't read good things about it).

Overall it's disappointing.

But I do enjoy these two cues.  They made it onto my "Film Score Tracks I Liked in 2017" playlist.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Overall it's disappointing.

But I do enjoy these two cues.  They made it onto my "Film Score Tracks I Liked in 2017" playlist.

But du you still like them in 2018?

Nixon by John Williams

JFK by John Williams

The Last Airbender by James Newton Howard

:music:Restoration by James Newtown Howard 

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible

The best MI score

Jerry Goldsmith - Total Recall (Quartet disc 1)

One of the best action scores ever!

Ira Newborn - Ferrir Bueller's Day Off

Classic!

John Williams - Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets

Underrated classic!  The massive power of the LSO unleashed!

Rogue Nation is the second best by a country mile!

The Giacchinos are alright.  The Zimmer I don't like at all, and do't expect much from the upcoming Balfe

EDIT: I Mean it is a country mile AHEAD of the Giacchinos and Zimmer, not that it is a country mile BEHIND Elfman's, or anything;  I LOVE Rogue Nation, but only SLIGHTLY like Elfman's JUST a little more

55 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ira Newborn - Ferrir Bueller's Day Off

Classic!

I was just thinking recently that I’d love a score release for Newborn’s Dragnet

Hehe, I remember that movie!  Haven't seen in since I was a kid, but quite enjoyed it then.  I don't remember the score, but I love Newborn's work on the Naked Gun films!

7 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hehe, I remember that movie!  Haven't seen in since I was a kid, but quite enjoyed it then.  I don't remember the score, but I love Newborn's work on the Naked Gun films!

The OST is completely out of print (including digital AFAIK) and it was a half-and-half anyway (half songs, half score).  In my memory from watching it a few times as a kid it was a fun pastiche of that 60s crime show sound.

No one's even bothered to upload any score tracks to Youtube, just the songs.

My favorite is this wonderfully cheesy slice of 80s nostalgia from The Art of Noise:

15 hours ago, Jay said:

Rogue Nation is the second best by a country mile!

The Giacchinos are alright.  The Zimmer I don't like at all, and do't expect much from the upcoming Balfe

EDIT: I Mean it is a country mile AHEAD of the Giacchinos and Zimmer, not that it is a country mile BEHIND Elfman's, or anything;  I LOVE Rogue Nation, but only SLIGHTLY like Elfman's JUST a little more

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one! :)

To me, Rogue Nation is the first good score of the MI franchise, and quite possibly the last... :(

Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow by Edward Shearmur: This score perfectly captures the spirit and style of the adventure scores of the Golden Age and the similar evocations from the 1980's with convincing panache that is both thematically and emotionally rich and orchestrationally authentic and complex. It is a joy to hear this energetic and gleefully extrovert work either on the succinct OST album or in its complete incarnation on the terrific LLL release.

They should give Shearmur a SW film to work on. It's strange that it hasn't happened yet given that his late wife co-produced the Disney ones.

Karol

As someone who got mildly obsessed with Sky Captain after seeing it in theaters twice when I was 16, it's one of Hollywood's saddest stories that Conran never went on to make anything else.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

Roger Ebert even gave it 4 / 4 stars.

I had that review printed out and kept it in my school binder for a couple of months.  I was... kind of a nerd.

1 minute ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That's OK. We're in the age of the nerds now, when nerds will rule the world.

And it's mostly been a shitshow.  Partially why I responded so negatively to Ready Player One.  Nerds aren't the heroes.... they're the villains.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Thanos: Infinity War (Alan Silvestri)

At 1 hour and 57 minutes this runs FAR too long! Pity because there's good music in there.

Perhaps the CD release will prune the score to manageable length with all the juicy stuff.

On 1.5.2018 at 8:01 PM, John said:

No, it is not. It is an inferior pastiche of the Imperial March; it sounds like a parody theme, like something from a How it Should Have Ended video.

I don't care for that theme, either. But I do like how the Imperial March is brewing under the entire suite.

On 1.5.2018 at 8:06 PM, Fal said:

I still maintain that the Krennic specific portion is the best theme in that score.

Oh, back on the "every-couple-of-notes-selected-in-random-out-of-the-unabridged-theme-is-a-separate-leitmotif" argument, are we now? ;):P

22 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

Oh, back on the "every-couple-of-notes-selected-in-random-out-of-the-unabridged-theme-is-a-separate-leitmotif" argument, are we now? ;):P

Have you even listened to the score? Krennic indeed has a separate theme of his own.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

I do have to say that as a film score this is very good. Silvestri's music serves the film incredibly well. But 2 hours? Geez.

I agree. But in the film it is excellent. Probably better than the first one.

Karol

The Red Pony (Copland, 1949) - One of my favorite scores of all time.  Still ecstatic that Intrada finally released the full original recordings last year.

Kings Row (Korngold, 1942) - One of my favorite scores of all time.  Still ecstatic to finally own FSM's release of the full original recordings.

Journey to the Center of the Earth (Herrmann, 1959) - Not my favorite of Herrmann's late-50s/early-60s adventure movie scores, but a wonderfully mysterious interesting listen nonetheless

Richie Rich (Silvestri, 1994) - An underrated gem in Silvestri's discography.  Fantastic main theme and delightfully orchestrated throughout.

Star Trek III: The Search for Spock (Horner, 1984) - Still fairly immersed in this one from working on the isolated score videos.

:music: Flightplan by James Horner. I have a strange affection for this score. There's just something incredibly rewarding in a way Horner develops his very simple (familiar-sounding, too) main theme over the course of this neat 50-minute album and how he constructs the suspenseful setpieces along the way.

Karol

Put on TFA on a whim. If I'm going to be obnoxiously excited for Solo's score, I might as well listen to 'the real deal'.

Still don't really see this as much more than a tired three-star work put over by one genuinely splendid new theme, but I recognize I'm in the minority on that. Not a fan of the mix though. Something about the brass sounds kind of harsh here.

51 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Put on TFA on a whim. If I'm going to be obnoxiously excited for Solo's score, I might as well listen to 'the real deal'.

Still don't really see this as much more than a tired three-star work put over by one genuinely splendid new theme, but I recognize I'm in the minority on that. Not a fan of the mix though. Something about the brass sounds kind of harsh here.

Your second paragraph is 100% my own view on the score. 

The Godfather Part III, by Carmine Coppola :music:

**** out of *****

Fantastic Mr. Fox, by Alexandre Desplat :music:

**** and 1/2 out of *****

Blade Runner, by Vangelis :music:

**** and 1/2 out of *****

TRON: Legacy, by Daft Punk :music:

**** out of *****