What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Though 120 vs. 250 minutes still makes the difference between looking at your watch once or twice or having a focus trauma because you watch filmed theatre without the immediacy of a real one with some mediocre spectacle sequences where only one is an eye-catcher (the entry into Rome). North is beyond reproach, though, but even he (like Williams in the prequels) cannot bring life into the eternal stretches of dialogue scoring.

8 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes you really should listen to the interview with Williams about North that I posted bolle.  It might give you a new perspective. 

I watched five minutes of it yesterday and was immediately interested because I'd never heard Williams talk about anything/anyone in such great detail. Maybe, one day, Spartacus will appeal to me, just like the OT music is doing now. BUtI Just had to turn the movie off because of terrible audio description so I'll never finish that, the sound sounded incredibly obsolete too (no matter how many times it's restored/remastered/whatever). I do like complex music, but have a real problem with dissonance, especially when it's there for no reason, like in that Spartacus overture. It's like scoring a romantic scene with heavy metal: pointless.

3 minutes ago, bollemanneke said:

I do like complex music, but have a real problem with dissonance, especially when it's there for no reason, like in that Spartacus overture. It's like scoring a romantic scene with heavy metal: pointless.

There's so much wrong with this reasoning, it seems utterly futile to argue with it.

7 hours ago, publicist said:

Avoid 'Cleopatra'.

It's not that bad. In fact, given all the production troubles and its length, I'm surprised how good it is. Nothing you could watch any day, but when you have the endurance, I think it's worth seeing.

CLEOPATRA is a fucking flawed masterpiece!

Any film that has one third of it cut out, is going to suffer, and I think that if Mank had stuck to his guns, with parts I, and II, then Fox would have doubled their profits.

As it stands, CLEOPATRA is the best "sword-and-sandal" epic, by a country mile. 

It would be my dearest wish for the missing footage to be found, and the film to be restored to its full 6-hour glory.

17 minutes ago, Richard said:

Any film that has one third of it cut out, is going to suffer, and I think that if Mank had stuck to his guns, with parts I, and II, then Fox would have doubled their profits.

It would be my dearest wish for the missing footage to be found, and the film to be restored to its full 6-hour glory.

Oh-no.jpg

3 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Titanic shouldn't be longer than 2 hours 40 minutes.

Yeah, that's about how much I would have cut out of it.

:music: Close Encounters of the Third Kind. What a beauty this score is, probably Williams' finest work. Received my tickets for the June concert the other day, by the way. Can't wait for that one.

Karol

10 hours ago, Richard said:

tumblr_o9c5vm8aLd1qfrhhpo6_r1_540.gif

1 hour ago, crocodile said:

:music: Close Encounters of the Third Kind. What a beauty this score is, probably Williams' finest work. Received my tickets for the June concert the other day, by the way. Can't wait for that one.

Got mine about a week ago or so. And I also played CE3K just the other day. While it's always difficult to pick a single best or favourite Williams score, I think it's save to say that CE3K is one of the few that have never been topped. Also amazing how free the tempo at the end of the finale feels, for a film score, and how the the score benefits from this "music first" approach.

Yeah, it is probably his most "unchained" work. It doesn't seem to be limited by film. You put it against picture, it works beautifully. You play it in a concert work, sane result. It feels like a proper symphonic work that bridges the cerebral with emotional.

Karol

Saving Private Ryan by John Williams

The Wolfman by Danny Elfman

When the Whales Came by Christopher Gunning

Stepmom by John Williams

Star Trek: Nemesis by Jerry Goldsmith

Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by Patrick Doyle

How To Train Your Dragon 1&2

Love 'em.

Raiders - SonicAdventure's new remaster

I have no idea which official release this was sourced from, but this transition is botched horribly in it:

Great score otherwise, didn't notice much of a sound upgrade with this fan remaster. Disney, please allow us to shower you with money!

Uncovering the Ark is bloody terrifying. It has no sense of "You succeeded where men failed before you for millenia in finding a lost artifact", rather "You have opened something you should NOT have, and you WILL suffer for it!". The Ark theme is not a MacGuffin theme, but a villain theme.

3 hours ago, Holko said:

The Ark theme is not a MacGuffin theme, but a villain theme.

Eh, not really a Villain theme, but I get what you are saying.

Black Panther by Ludwig Goransson: Fantastic score, one of the best of the MCU. Great themes and fantastic action cues. And I love that Goransson went full on tribal percussion and chants in many tracks.

Creed by Ludwig Goransson: Great score. The main theme is so great and even if it's a bit overused it works really well, especially when it mixes with Rocky's original themes. If I Fight, You Fight and You're A Creed are pure energy.

Bicentennial Man by James Horner: Even if this one is kind of a greatest hits by James Horner, I liked it a lot. The main theme is lovely and even if the love theme is almost exact copy of Braveheart, it still stand on its own really well.

On 5/11/2018 at 6:14 PM, Batman's Diet Coke said:

Unless it's Titanic, a film should be an hour or so...two, at most.

A lot of big studio films should cut a lot of fat, keep enough to keep the audience clued in but paced fast enough that it doesn't drag. Michael Bay could've made his Transformers films lean and fun 85-90 minutes apiece, but then you get all the crappy human filler that no one wants to see. And let's not get into another Peter Jackson discussion regarding the Hobbit trilogy.

Justice League is a perfect example of the 'leaner is better' rule. Of course, a lot of people hated it anyway, but it was very well-paced for a studio-mandated 'less than 2 hours runtime' film.

On 4/26/2018 at 12:36 PM, Stefancos said:

Tschaikowsky, Symphonie Nr. 5 in E minor, Op. 64. Berliner Philharminiker, Herbert von Karakan.

I didn't know you listened to classical music. Tchaikovsky's Symphonies 4 and 5 are among my favorite pieces of any kind of music ever. 

Might as well milk my first free Spotify Premium month by moving out of my comfort zone and trying some music I'd normally never have actively sought out.

The Post

Wow, that was a lot better than my imagination and initial skipping through lead me to believe! Great """"background noise"""" for studying!

1 minute ago, Holko said:

e Post

Wow, that was a lot better than my imagination and initial skipping through lead me to believe! Great """"background noise"""" for studying!

It's a quality score.  I prefer it to The Last Jedi

:music: The Monkey King and The Monkey King 2. Lovely scores, both of them. The first one is more extrovert wheras the second one remains more introvert (in comparison). One is more heavenly, the other more earthly. The second one is already long out of print and the first one is about to sell out. Sadly. Worlds needs more Christopher Young! The fact they replaced him on the third film is a crime against humanity.

Karol

The Rocketeer 

I can say with full confidence that "The Flying Circus" is my favorite cue of this score and one of my favorite cues from ANY Horner score.  My God.

Currently encoding these another four essential and quality albums as FLACs for my new mp3 player... Will listen to them this week.

p_ws749.jpg

Jane Eyre [Music From The Omnibus/Sagittarius Production] (1971, Capitol Records, SW 749)

Jane Eyre Theme; Overture (Main Title); Lowood; To Thornfield; String Quartet Festivity At Thornfield; Grace Poole And Mason's Arrival; Trio The Meeting; Thwarted Wedding; Across The Moors; Restoration; Reunion.

p_lllcd1214.jpg

(Reissued in 2012, La-La Land Records, LLLCD 1214)

(I forget to encode Jane Eyre when I first encoded all my LLL albums in FLACs, as it is not Mike Matessino who was involved in this release, but it's stll an important LLL release!)

I just love those Fresh Sound Releases!

p_fsr2228.jpg

John T. Williams - Jazz Beginnings (2006, Fresh Sound Records, FSR 2228, Compilation)

CD 1: The Most Beautiful Girl In The World; In A Little Spanish Town; I'll Take Romance; Zigeuner; Tenderly; Diane; Dear To My Heart; While We're Young; Wait Till You See Her; One Love; Bess,Oh Where's My Bess; Hello (John T. Williams); Aunt Orsavella (John T. Williams); Spring Is Here; Anything Goes; Caribe (John T. Williams); One Love; Our Waltz; CD 2: I've Got The World On A String; Get Happy; That Old Black Magic; Over The Rainbow; Let's Fall In Love; Stormy Weather; My Shinning Hour; Between The Devil And The Deep Blue Sea; Come Rain Or Come Shine; Here's What I'm Here For; Hit The Road To Dreamland; A Sleepin' Bee; All Of You; The Last Time I Saw Paris; I Can't Get Started; I Got Plenty O'Nuttin'; It's The Talk Of The Town; You'd Be So Nice To Come Home To; It Ain't Necessarily So; Tenderly; This Can't Be Love; Old Devil Moon; My Happy Time; There's A Small Hotel.

(Reissued for digital download in 2013, Jazz City Series)

p_jm1007.jpg

Checkmate/Hong Kong (2015, Fresh Sound Records, JM 1007, Compilation)

"Checkmate": Music composed and conducted by Johnny Williams.

(Reissued for digital download in 2014, Jazz in the Movies)

p_bmcd858.jpg

Rhythm in Motion/So Nice! with Johnny Desmond (2015, Fresh Sound Records, BMCD 858, Compilation)

Music arranged and conducted by Johnny Williams; Featuring Johnny Williams (p); Three Bonus tracks composed and performed by Johnny Williams: Tuesday's Theme, The Black Knight, Augie's Great Piano.

(Reissued for digital download in 2015, Blue Moon)