What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Basic Instict by Jerry Goldsmith

Great score! Goldsmith really captured the sensuality and mystery of the film.

He really did. The OST album is a very good listening experience and provides enough variety and a nice dramatic arc. It is kind of film noir but through Goldsmith's thriller sensiblities and of course the sensuous feel the composer captures so deftly.

So I just listened through the 5 disc Kingdom of Heaven on my journey through Harry Gregson-Williams.

This is a really good score, but what's the story with the 13th Warrior Theme appearing all of a sudden in one of the cues?

Also listened to Prince of Persia. Pretty fun score, though it starts to get into that cliche of modern scores (running 16th note synth drum track layered over action cues), and the main theme sounds like part of the theme from Pirate of the Caribbean. It's got a nice exhilarating ending though :)

And now on to the Shreks.....

This is a really good score, but what's the story with the 13th Warrior Theme appearing all of a sudden in one of the cues?

Ridley went through after Harry was done scoring the film and removed his music and replaced it with Goldsmith's.

Ridley went through after Harry was done scoring the film and removed his music and replaced it with Goldsmith's.

Very interesting. I wonder if it was a temp track he fell in love with, just like Freud on Alien...

The Agony And The Ecstasy by Alex North

Might be one of my favourite scores of all time. It's simply a manificent feart from North: expressing Renaissance forms filtered through very modern mid-20th Century orchestra. Has everything that makes this composer so unique, but also remains very accessible. This is as good as film music gets in my book!

:music: Viva Zapata! by Alex North

Karol

In Agony and the Ecstasy, isn't "To Battle" such an awesome cue?

Might be one of my favourite scores of all time. It's simply a manificent feart from North: expressing Renaissance forms filtered through very modern mid-20th Century orchestra. Has everything that makes this composer so unique, but also remains very accessible. This is as good as film music gets in my book!

Karol

Wasn't Jerry Goldsmith also co-wrote the score to that film?

Jerry Goldsmith wrote a 12 minute piece called An Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint for a short documentary of the same name that aired before the movie on its roadshow presentations but is not connected to the film itself.

And yes Agony and Ecstasy is such powerful and beautiful score.

Karol

It is one of the best cues North has ever written.

BTW it starts at 4:38, for anybody who doesn't know it yet.

The Avengers by Alan Silvestri

Most underwhelming.

Karol

I'll add to the love for both The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint and The Agony and the Ecstasy. They're among for my favorites for both North and Goldsmith.

I need more North, any suggestions?

I have:

Spartacus

Dragonslayer

The Agony and the Ecstasy

Shrek and Shrek 2 --- H-man Gregson-W

Sabrina - John the Williams

The Shrek was enjoyable, I think Harry made a home run with that main theme, and it's got a lot of fun throughout the score. I enjoyed Shrek 2 moreso than the first. It sounded more mature and like he perhaps put more effort into it (?). I don't know, but it was definitely more fun to me.

Sabrina, I always tend to forget the score, but it really does have a touching main theme and lots of lovely jazz arrangements and romance. I imagine Williams enjoying this project, I think he has a special liking for writing music of that type.

I haven't seen the film but I've heard others here say that there is some nice music missing....I'd love to hear the complete score some day.

I'll add to the love for both The Artist Who Did Not Want to Paint and The Agony and the Ecstasy. They're among for my favorites for both North and Goldsmith.

I have:

Spartacus

Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer and 2001 are my favorite (and only!) North titles. I'd like to check out more of his stuff. I think I'll start with TA&E :)

For some reason I have no interest in Spartacus.

Star Trek: First Contact (the new GNP reissue) I just received yesterday, and I'm listening to it as I type. What a great release of an even greater score which IMO contains some of Jerry's best work for the franchise! bowdown I was however amused at how similarly some of action and/or suspense music sounds to e.g. Executive Decision, there are even some direct/identical quotes which is after all not so surprising, seen as how both scores were written in 1996, probably no more than months apart so maybe Jerry gets forgiven for pulling a Horner in this particular case, because otherwise this score totally rocks! :D

I have:

Spartacus

Dragonslayer

Dragonslayer and 2001 are my favorite (and only!) North titles. I'd like to check out more of his stuff. I think I'll start with TA&E :)

For some reason I have no interest in Spartacus.

Perhaps you would have an interest in "Spartacus" if you listened to the box-set.

Also, check out the sublime "Cleopatra": gorgeous!

I would not waste money on the Spartacus box set. I picked up a used copy of the OST for $14 and can, well...it is little more than noise to me. I fail to see what is so great about the score that warrants all the love.

North's style is definitely a love it or hate it kind of style. Spartacus is a very interesting mix of different compositional styles and techniques that all manage to work as a very cohesive whole. Really to me there is not a note wasted in that score and every bit of it is essential to the overall work. A truncated presentation of it doesn't work for me. But I can easily see people not connecting with what North did on this film, or in many of his films. He was certainly unique. I love him though!

A truncated presentation of it doesn't work for me.

I find the OST completely frustrating. There's this moment of awesomeness here, and, and here, and they don't go further than that, and then it ends.

North's style is definitely a love it or hate it kind of style. Spartacus is a very interesting mix of different compositional styles and techniques that all manage to work as a very cohesive whole. Really to me there is not a note wasted in that score and every bit of it is essential to the overall work. A truncated presentation of it doesn't work for me. But I can easily see people not connecting with what North did on this film, or in many of his films. He was certainly unique. I love him though!

The funny thing is his style is not entirely atypical for this period. I've listened to some old, more obscure, Polish composers the other week and I can hear some similarities to what North was doing. The kind of harsh, complex writing struck me as very similar.

Listen to this, for example (I know it's in different language, you just need to press play).

I will eventually buy this Spartacus set. It just seems a bit pricey for me.

Karol

Superman: The Movie - Williams

The score is simple perfection. Best way to experience it in that glorious 5.0 isolated track on the DVD... just heaven.

Superman: The Movie - Williams

The score is simple perfection. Best way to experience it in that glorious 5.0 isolated track on the DVD... just heaven.

I couldn't agree more! Definitely one of my all-time top 3 Williams scores. bowdown

Shiver - Fernando Velasquez

Still a dark, creepy delight. Whenever the action kicks up, it's truly impressive. I can't listen to it in one sitting, though.

How to Train Your Dragon - John Powell

I'm warming up to this score -- very enjoyable, thematic and well-rounded. It's a nice, non-cartoony side to Powell, and as surprisingly good as his score for X-Men: The Last Stand was. I'd put my foot down on calling it "the best Powell score EVAR!" though. It's good, and in points reaches greatness, but not something I can keep in the CD player on constant rotation.

Freddy vs. Jason - Graeme Revell

Neither film nor score are high art, but the score is highly entertaining. Revell utilizes the usual slasher scoring cliches, and mixes it up with his usual pastiche of ethnic percussion and electric guitars. Revell references both Harry Manfredini and Charles Bernstein's themes to wonderful effect, even if they're not well-integrated. The album is short, succinct, and finishes before it wears out its welcome.

Troy Rejected Score - Gabriel Yared

A truly epic score! It continues to baffle me today how this got rejected....It has great action, good use of ethnic colours, fantastic choral work (the choral work in Greek Funeral Pyres is truly haunting...always gives me the chills) and excellent themes.

Die Hard by Michael Kamen

Such a terrific score.

Karol

Indeed.

I recently listened to Film Score Monthly's awesome release for Star Trek II The Wrath Of Khan.

The last score I listened to was LLLR Speed. What a suspenseful and adrenaline pumping action score. Listening to it for the first time takes me back to all the times I use to watch the actual film back in the 90s. I love how the score captures the atmosphere of rush hour traffic in most of the tracks dealing with the bus. The synthesisers were used very effectively throughout. The main theme is also really awesome. Now that I think about it this is probably one of the best action scores of the 90s, imo. It added a lot of weight and tension in an already great film. Mancina did a superb job. What he came up with was the best way to go with the film, imo. Can't wait to give this another listen.

It is indeed wonderful. For some reason, it just opened this score to me.

Triple Giacchino for me (Ghost Protocol, Super 8 and John Carter) and now Batman Forever.

Karol

Maurice Jarre, Lawrence of Arabia end titles. Great stuff maynerd.

The Tadlow re-recording for Lawrence of Arabia is absolutely fantastic! It really improves the score for me. I always loved the score, but after that fantastic Tadlow recording, its really rose up in the ranks as one of my favourite scores.

What do you think of the last re-recording? I think it's quite wonderful. :)

Karol

I haven't heard it so I cannot comment, but good to know it sounds great.

The Tadlow re-recording for Lawrence of Arabia is absolutely fantastic! It really improves the score for me. I always loved the score, but after that fantastic Tadlow recording, its really rose up in the ranks as one of my favourite scores.

It's a lot of fun. I love the textures, the sound of it. It takes the listener somewhere else as if it was easy.

Wind and the Lion - Jerry Goldsmith

Oh man, this is... wow. Those brass ostinatos plus the ethnic percussion, be still my beating heart.

Stargate Atlantis - Joel Goldsmith

I was listening to this last night in memory of the man... just as good a composer as his father. It's a shame he didn't break out like his father and got some quality big-budget stuff... but his TV work was unparalled in quality. Wonderful stuff.

Eine Alpensinfonie by Strauss, the famous Karajan's 1980 recording with Berlin Phil. One of the greatest performances and recordings of this work. bowdown

Eine Alpensinfonie by Strauss, the famous Karajan's 1980 recording with Berlin Phil. One of the greatest performances and recordings of this work. bowdown

I think I actually enjoy this work more than his tone poems, but the only recording I have is Zubin Mehta with Berlin. I'll have to pick up the Karajan!

The Last Airbender by James Newton Howard

King Kong by James Newton Howard

Lost Final Season the Last Episodes by Michael Giacchino