What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

1 hour ago, publicist said:

The Goldsmith fares a bit better, thankfully the Decca mix is still intact on CD 2. Why so many engineers today knowingly put out product so hotly mastered even if it's not intended for a mass market audience is everybody's question. The good thing is that it still sounds relatively unharmed, but keep in mind that even if you lower the volume in a mixing program, the clipped parts are not saved by this.

Ouch the above pictures look pretty awful. Too loud by far. I wonder who was responsible for the mix of The Mummy Returns on the Intrada release?

Just examples. Was too lazy to put up the real ones. Btw, in some cues on both releases of there is something off with the mix. Like a voice is off by a wrong pitch or something. Listen to the second half of The Mummy Attacks or the first half of Canyon Deluge on headphones. You clearly hear it under good headphones if you have the old mix side by side.

2 hours ago, publicist said:

The Goldsmith fares a bit better, thankfully the Decca mix is still intact on CD 2. Why so many engineers today knowingly put out product so hotly mastered even if it's not intended for a mass market audience is everybody's question. The good thing is that it still sounds relatively unharmed, but keep in mind that even if you lower the volume in a mixing program, the clipped parts are not saved by this.

Have they adapted the new music to the Decca mix? I mean that mix was pretty perfect.

Just made this little collection, I love the sixtizzzzzzzzz!!! 💖

JW-The Original Soundtracks Collection - The 60's

01 Checkmate (1960)

02 Diamond Head (1962)

03 How to Steal a Million (1966)

04 Not With My Wife, You Don't (1966)

05 Penelope (1966)

06 Fitzwilly (1967)

07 Heidi (1968)

08 Valley of the Dolls (1968)

09 Goodbye, Mr. Chips (1969)

10 The Reivers (1969)

8 hours ago, Brundlefly said:

Have they adapted the new music to the Decca mix? I mean that mix was pretty perfect.

No, that sounds the same (and great). With 'The Mummy' i found the off-sound yet only in the last 02:20 of 'The Mummy Attacks' whereas it returns more frequently in TMR, where some parts sound (i. e. the stereo separation in 'Canyon Deluge') not much better than the old bootleg while other parts sound great. There is something not right with the source material, i guess.

14 hours ago, publicist said:

No, it's like 'Predator 2', crushingly loud. If you look at the spikes in Audition or Audacity, the loud cues too often look like this:

April+hot+master+in+audacity.png

whereas they should look like this:

audacity.jpg

Jesus H. Christ.

The Horn Concerto by John Williams: Another excellent soloist piece that expertly explores the different capabilities of the instrument while also forming a beautiful 5-movement suite of contrasting moods and melodies.

Suite for Cello and Orchestra from Memoirs of a Geisha by John Williams: Outstanding condensation of the major ideas of the score into a gorgeous suite.

The Death of Stalin by Christopher Willis

Excellent Shostakovich pastiche, summed up in a nice half hour album. I'd like to hear more from this Willis fellow.

1 minute ago, KK said:

The Death of Stalin by Christopher Willis

Excellent Shostakovich pastiche, summed up in a nice half hour album. I'd like to hear more from this Willis fellow.

Have you seen the film? I found it absolutely hilarious.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

I would like to see it. Missed its UK cinema run. Hoping it will turn up on Netflix at some point. The score is funny.

Karol

Turn A Gundam Yoko Kanno (1999)

Truly stunning. I'll probably be posting some specific bits in the short musical moments thread later! 

(for some reason the embed keeps starting partway through but the beginning is great too) 

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

God of War - Bear McCreary

One of the best scores of the year so far.  Very engaging soundtrack album, too.

Agreed. While I am not a huge McCreary fan this one won me over almost immediately.

54 minutes ago, Not Mr. Big said:

No one wants to fight me... :crymore::crymore: 💔

No arguments from me since I never really got into that score.

On 7/22/2018 at 3:45 AM, publicist said:

keep in mind that even if you lower the volume in a mixing program, the clipped parts are not saved by this.

That's when you use ReLife!

On 7/22/2018 at 8:18 PM, publicist said:

No, that sounds the same (and great). With 'The Mummy' i found the off-sound yet only in the last 02:20 of 'The Mummy Attacks' whereas it returns more frequently in TMR, where some parts sound (i. e. the stereo separation in 'Canyon Deluge') not much better than the old bootleg while other parts sound great. There is something not right with the source material, i guess.

Yeah there's definitely something up with the source material for TMR. Compare Dirigible Montage with the start of the suite. I'm pretty sure it's the same performance, but the former sounds weird with the brass buried in the mix, whereas the latter sounds amazing. Some other tracks also have the same issue, such as Sandcastles.

Plus the entire L.A.-recorded finale sounds weird, but it sounded the same on the boot.

As promised haha, here is a specific awesome moment from Yoko Kanno's "Turn a Gundam" (apparently an anime show) concert performance. I'd of course recommend listening to whole the cue (and whole score), but this is just the end of my favorite cue:

(goes until end of cue) 

Majestic... 😍

14 hours ago, Incanus said:

Got to catch it on the plane. Was an absolute riot!

The Mummy Returns by Alan Silvestri

I rarely try and listen to really long takes-up-more-than-one-disc scores (Lost World, Batman Returns and The Shadow are ze exceptions rather than ze rule), so I wasn't surprised in the least to find the number of unneeded cues here. Even then, I found enough fun to make for an 84 minute romp....which, yes, includes the song. By the sound of it, I think the Goldsmith Mummy was fine in its original album, so I'm in no rush to grab that one. Silvestri's sounds much campier and happier to be here in comparison, so it's a bit more to my subjective liking, even though I vastly prefer Goldsmith under any other circumstances. 

I somehow enjoy both these scores without having yet watched either of the movies. :P

Yes it basically sounds the same as the boot - like there's a wall between the mikes and the orchestra.

The other cues I mentioned aren't quite as bad, but still don't sound right. (and by 'right', I'm using the best-recorded cues such as revised My First Bus Ride as a baseline)

3 minutes ago, Richard Penna said:

Yes it basically sounds the same as the boot - like there's a wall between the mikes and the orchestra.

The other cues I mentioned aren't quite as bad, but still don't sound right. (and by 'right', I'm using the best-recorded cues such as revised My First Bus Ride as a baseline)

That is pretty awful. Do all the unreleased pieces sound like that?

(Incanus) No, it seems to vary quite a bit; a lot of it sounds great.

This is all subjective of course - all I can say is that a lot of it sounds either muddy or just not matching the best sounding parts.

Complete opposite to The Mummy where the soundscape's been opened quite astonishingly.

19 minutes ago, Incanus said:

That is pretty awful. Do all the unreleased pieces sound like that?

No. Some sound awful  - Canyon Deluge, parts of Medjai Commanders - others brilliant (My First Bus Ride, End Credits) and there are some from the LA sessions that do not sound like the bootleg (Rick Battles Imhotep) but somehwere in-between. The real puzzler is that some of the London-recorded cues seem to be affected even when they sounded great on the Decca, others from the same source sound like an improvement on that. Whoever did this set tuned out at some crucial QC point.

Curse of the Black Pearl (OST)

A weird album, but once you get past the track titles (I know the reason), the criminal runtime, the choice to create one continuous musical suite by crossfading everything and designating separate tracks literally randomly, it does do quite an OK job at selecting and sequencing highlights from this great score. Are the audio issues in tracks like Swords Crossed, To the Pirates' Cave, and One Last Shot mastering/manufacturing defects present everywhere, or is this the only album in the universe my earphones I use at work cannot handle? The major distortions in One Last Shot are also present in the session leak (A Happy Out), I had to rip sections from the movie and substitute them.

Yesterday I had a bit of a lazy afternoon on the beach with some Goldsmith. Not entire scores, just select cues from:

The Blue Max

The Edge

City Hall

Star Trek: The Motion Picture

Damnation Alley

Escape from the Planet of the Apes

First Knight

The Mummy (Tadlow suite)

Inchon

The Agony and the Ecstasy prologue

Alien

Basic Instinct