What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

That's one of the strangest albums I ever listened... with those weird sounds effects... and the program in general...

But the recordings of The Witches of Eastwick and Star Wars's Throne Room and Finale are excellent (a special mention to Goldsmith and Elfman tracks!)

R-2499336-1411532685-1336.jpeg.jpg

https://www.discogs.com/Hollywood-Bowl-Orchestra-The-John-Mauceri-Journey-To-The-Stars-A-Sci-Fi-Fantasy-Adventure/release/2499336

2 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Hubris by John Powell. The best thing he's ever done. Absolutely love this album. People who doubt Powell is capable of writing some passages in Solo should give this a listen for it is even better.

I want to. Still waiting for the CD to become available here.

I don't have Spotify, and I don't want to pay for it when I find it hard enough to listen to all the music I have in my collection. Having access to a whole streaming service would overwhelm me.

European Amazons sell digital downloads of Hubris, but I'd rather have a CD.

6 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I don't have Spotify, and I don't want to pay for it when I find it hard enough to listen to all the music I have in my collection. Having access to a whole streaming service would overwhelm me.

Spotify has a free option if you only listen on your computer.  You only have to pay to use it on mobile

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I want to. Still waiting for the CD to become available here.

I bought it twice. I had no idea will be available and assumed the (rather excellent) digital package available from Powell's website is the only option. So now I have a physical copy as well as wide variety of high-res downloads (including 6-channel version). I don't regret it - it's a lovely piece of work.

It's available from Amazon UK by the way.

Karol

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Spotify has a free option if you only listen on your computer.  You only have to pay to use it on mobile

I seriously didn't know this. I might check it out... but assuming I liked Hubris, I'll still want a non-streaming version for repeated listening.

16 minutes ago, Steve McQueen said:

Trumpet Concerto by John Williams

Love this work.  Some passages have the air of filler about them, but, overall, there is much to be impressed with.  Some very nice writing and orchestration, and one of John's more coherent structural efforts for the concert hall. 

Scherzo for Piano and Orchestra by John Williams

Great vitality in this piece.  Like I've said before, it has an energy that rivals some of his best action cues.

Balto by James Horner

Lovely score, very pleasant listening, some excellent moments.  Gotta love that dynamic range.

Sandoval or Harjanne for the Trumpet Concerto?

Drango - Elmer Bernstein (Kritzerland)

Underrated gem.  Dramatic score about an immediately post-Civil War Georgia town.  This is my favorite kind of Bernstein score.  Lots of complex, ambiguous drama to score.  Brooding at times, gentle at others, always thoughtful and interesting.  One of my favorite random purchases I've made this year.

KL_DrangoCov600x600.jpg

I enjoy reading Steve Alten’s MEG series and I’m looking forward to this film.

The Meg.....

Just dreadful noise. 

Given the hype for this film, I can think of 10 composers who could have at least given this a decent score. I have yet to hear anything worthwhile from HGW so I’m not surprised how the score turned out. But I’m sure he did what the director and producers wanted.

Shame really, I wasn’t expecting anything as good as JAWS musically but I was hoping something interesting would come from this film, score wise.

1 hour ago, El Jefe said:

I enjoy reading Steve Alten’s MEG series and I’m looking forward to this film.

The Meg.....

Just dreadful noise. 

Given the hype for this film, I can think of 10 composers who could have at least given this a decent score. I have yet to hear anything worthwhile from HGW so I’m not surprised how the score turned out. But I’m sure he did what the director and producers wanted.

Shame really, I wasn’t expecting anything as good as JAWS musically but I was hoping something interesting would come from this film, score wise.

Well if you are scoring this, it might not give you much inspiration:

latest?cb=20120905122204

:rimshot:

Thank you! Thank you! I'll be here all week!

Another one of those cutesy mouse atrocities, think 'Saving Mr. Banks', the score at least is pleasant if hardly worth to lose much talk about it. A combi of woodwinds, soft strings and piano, the whole thing plays more or less in the same register all the time - you will be hard-pressed to differentiate beginning, middle or end - but it's not grating on the ear, either. 

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Third time I've seen that joke, bub.

Yeah and it never gets old! :lol:

6 hours ago, El Jefe said:

I have yet to hear anything worthwhile from HGW so I’m not surprised how the score turned out.

He's got one great solo score and one great collaboration score: Sinbad and Chicken Run.

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

Saving mr. Banks is a very good Thomas Newman score

I on the contrary think it is quite a generic Newman score. I can't remember it being anything but pleasant.

I wish his more recent output would impress me but alas no.

:music: God of War by Bear McCreary

I'll have to revisit it some of these days as I really cant't remember a single melody from the score from the film or soundtrack outside the Mary Poppins tunes.

1 hour ago, Incanus said:

I'll have to revisit it some of these days as I really cant't remember a single melody from the score from the film or soundtrack outside the Mary Poppins tunes.

I tend to enjoy his light, airy scores quite a bit.  Like drinking from a cool mountain spring :) 

:music:  HAN'S THEME (or whatever it's called), on Classic FM. 

There's some nifty trumpet runs, here. It's nice stuff, all round. It makes me wonder why he didn't write a theme for Solo, for the OT?

Oops, it's now playing some Powell stuff, from SOLO. Ooh, this is good.

#johnpowellforepisodeIX. :D

Baby: Secret of the Lost Legend by Jerry Goldsmith

Adventures of Robin Hood by Erich Wolfgang Korngold (Stromberg re-recording. Is this the best re-recording? Not sure what others there are)

2 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Adventures of Robin Hood by Erich Wolfgang Korngold (Stromberg re-recording. Is this the best re-recording? Not sure what others there are)

It's the most complete. There's also the earlier, LP-length re-recording by Kojian, which perhaps sounds a bit more idiomatic. And of course nothing beats the Gerhardt-conducted suites.

16 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

It's the most complete. There's also the earlier, LP-length re-recording by Kojian, which perhaps sounds a bit more idiomatic. And of course nothing beats the Gerhardt-conducted suites.

It’s obviously only a few cues from Robin Hood but I really love the Lionel Newman album of Korngold pieces from the 60s.  Maybe my personal favorite of the rerecording compilations of Korngold, even over the Gerhardts.

Nightmare Before Christmas by Danny Elfman

Friend of mine sent me the expanded/complete score from that Burton box set! I probably should wait until Halloween to listen to it though...but I am not known for being patient.

Alien 3 by Elliot Goldenthal

Album's fine. Can confirm. 

The Whale - Debbie Wiseman

Silva Screen didn't issue a soundtrack release for the TV movie, but that's OK. The main theme encompasses the best bits.

Haunted - Debbie Wiseman

The album is repetitive and the ensemble she used here sounds small. The suite in her album is, again, better due to the larger orchestra and distilling all the best parts into a nice meaty suite.

Not scores, but where else?

We listened to these all the time when I was tiny, it was nice to return to them

20180805_100926.jpg

20180805_100943(0)[1].jpg

The Mummy by Jerry Goldsmith

The Mummy Returns by Alan Silvestri

A.I. - Artificial Intelligence by John Williams

Empire of the Sun by John Williams

Williams on Williams: The Classic Spielberg Scores by John Williams

Honey I Shrunk The Kids by James Horner

This is a score I liked better in the movie than on album.  A good score to be sure, but it is the juxtaposition of the wacky elements of the movie with the jazz material, and the slower scenes with the lovely corresponding writing that is primarily effective.

Jurassic Park  by John Williams

Is it only me, or is My Friend, The Brachiosaurus one of John's best cues?  I hear traces of CE3K and War Horse there, actually.       

11 hours ago, Steve McQueen said:

Is it only me, or is My Friend, The Brachiosaurus one of John's best cues?  I hear traces of CE3K and War Horse there, actually.       

I hear a lot of HP-esque material in there.

:music: The Mum Returns by Alan Silvestri. Bit all over the place expanded album but I'm still very happy to have it. And I will say this again: Silvestri's sintgke finest.

Karol

23 minutes ago, crocodile said:

:music: The Mum Returns by Alan Silvestri. Bit all over the place expanded album but I'm still very happy to have it. And I will say this again: Silvestri's sintgke finest.

Karol

What about the Dad? :sarcasm:

The Haunting by Jerry Goldsmith (heard the OST...people consider this a terrible representation? It's just like the complete score! But shorter!)

Planet of the Apes by Jerry Goldsmith (what is it with cues titled The Hunt consistently being awesome?)