What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Dulcimer time!

Du.   Du-duuuuu   Du-du-du.   Du, du, du, du, du, du-du-du.

1980thumbnail.jpeg

Alexandre Desplat - Operation Finale 

It's generally very dark and subdued (and, partly for that reason, often somewhat boring). But there are some great moments - "Setting Up Operations," for example, is an exciting cue. And the growling low pianos are a welcome throwback to the classic spy sound of old (I'd be interested to hear Desplat's take on a more extroverted spy film like MI or Bond). If you like Desplat, you should definitely give this a listen. It's a solid entry in his oeuvre, although I'm not sure if I'll return to it much. 

11 hours ago, Falafel said:

My only gripe with it, is that the lyric choices (or lack thereof) are kind of....odd sounding.

Well apparently Williams gave her free hand with the lyrics which Johnny and Steven didn't want to be in any real language from the Middle East but rather evoke the region.

She still wrote it all out even though the end result is indeed in great part wordless vocalization. Remembering Munich is a piece better enjoyed divorced from the picture.

But the whole score is pretty excellent mix of highly melodic emotional material and on the other hand Williams' entirely valid take on the modern suspense and thriller sound. I also have an odd fondness for the angsty Bearing the Burden track, the very picture of psychological anguish in music.

Out of curiosity, I just looked at the current Top 100 popular soundtrack albums on the Google Play streaming service.

As would be expected it's 99% song based albums, either musicals or songtracks.

The highest ranked album that is mostly score is Elfman's Alice Through the Looking Glass at #41.  It does have a pop song by Pink as the last track.

The highest ranked album that is all original score is Zimmer's Interstellar at #69 (giggity)

After that there are only 3 more score only or mostly score albums in the top 100:

Avengers: Infinity War (#81), Blade Runner 2049 (#95), and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring OST (#100).

Interesting to see LOTR managing to barely hold in at #100 and see ZERO Williams, not even Star Wars.

Here's the Top 10.  I should note, for some reason the Google Play version of the Crazy Rich Asians OST contains no Tyler cues.  No idea why.

Capture.JPG

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

the Google Play version of the Crazy Rich Asians OST contains no Tyler cues.  No idea why.

Nothing complicated about it, same as any other film with one pop song album and one score album

61HR6PAdDYL._SS500.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G8QVLKT/

vs

61i1CaCJhUL._SS500.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07G8SXRZ5/

Yesterday I listened to Tintin and TiTanic. One was clearly a superior listening experience. The other was Tintin.

10 minutes ago, JoeinAR said:

Yesterday I listened to The Force Awakens and Solo. One was clearly a superior listening experience. The other was The Force Awakens.

Smartest post on this forum!

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Apples and oranges. Your comparison is too random!

My comparisons are very specific. Very very specific.

2 hours ago, Not Mr. Big said:

People are still listening to Frozen? Jesus! :lol:

I know I am.

I still don't understand why film scores are always grouped with musicals. They could just as well lump them in with opera and ballet. Makes browsing online sales tedious, too. The film music section is usually 95% musicals and song compilations, and the classical section is 95% "albums" by star soloists.

29 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

I still don't understand why film scores are always grouped with musicals. They could just as well lump them in with opera and ballet.

A main reason is probably that musicals often are turned into feature films, which operas and ballets rarely are.

A delightful baroque outing, decently upscaled the Handel/Purcell sources with big, romantic string orchestra. Still, it's light on its feet and wonderfully melodic throughout. Recommended!

32 minutes ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Anyone else know any tinnitus-friendly scores? I haven't listened to any music at all in almost three months.

Try silent films.

Or better, just read the printed score of your favorite scores.

1 hour ago, Cherry Pie That'll Kill Ya said:

Some Zimmer scores might be fine because he relies a lot on bass, which doesn't affect me as much. It's shrill trebly stuff that irritates me now.

I'm not sure what hi-fi you have, but have you thought of purchasing audio equipment with a wider dynamic range, or simply turning down the treble, if you have a treble control?

What would be an example of "shrill trebly stuff"?