What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

15 minutes ago, crocodile said:

'Tis alright.

Karol

'Tis agreeable.

26 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I like it!

Listened to it after you mentioned it; I like it too! And damn,  the Jaws theme on this album has some punch to it!

2 hours ago, Incanus said:

That "violin solo" is actually an arrangement for solo cello and orchestra.

"And Bobby Joe played the big violin. The one that stands on the floor."

2 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

It was the very first movie I ever watched in my life, so I kind of have no choice but to love it dearly. Though my top three Disney flicks can probably be guessed easily here. ;)

Aladdin because of Jasmine's heaving bosom?

Ew, no. Never liked Jasmine. She's so....90's 'strong independent woman who don't need no man until the very end when she needs rescuing'. Yuck. I know Ariel's not much better in that regard (in terms of needing rescuing out of a jam she got herself into), but I at least find her character vastly more endearing. 

Anyway, top 3 for Severin is Dumbo, Alice in Wonderland and Ichabod & Mr Toad. 

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

I'll never decide between Pinocchio and Bambi for favorite Disney animated film.  They're both my equal favorites.

For me it's Pinoch, Bambi, and Hunchback. Brilliant material. The newest stuff is nothing like the good olds.

Tintin OST

Yeah, still pretty good. Pursuit of the Falcon, Snowy's Chase, Escape from the Karaboudjan and Flight to Bagghar are great, otherwise I much prefer the softer, subtler stuff like Secret of the Scrolls, Capturing Mr. Silk and The Captain's Counsel over the pirate material and the crane duel.

TFA OST

This does a phenomenal job of condensing the score into a (quite long at almost 78 minutes) 1-disc presentation, keeping most of the highlights and trimming out all the fat from them (which, seeing the movie again, a lot of the cues have a ton of). Other than Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle, Jedi Steps and everything with Rey's Theme, I consider most of this setup that Last Jedi can take further and make much better. Especially MotR, I hate the concert piece and don't like most of its occurences here. Not a big fan of The Falcon, more of the Scherzo. Apart from a cue or two (Lightspeed Landing, The Resistance), I'm not going to lose sleep over this not being released in complete form - unless we get a slew of more interesting early alternates.

TLJ OST

Haven't listened to this form in a while. Not nearly as good a presentation as TFA's, but the score's not as well structured, even if its innumerable highlights far surpass TFA for me. I love what this score does with the themes TFA set up (MotR in Escape and Battle of Crait, Kylo Ren in The Supremacy and The Last Jedi), even if some of the best renditions ar not on the OST. (MotR in Holdo's Speech, Rey Trains, Rey Runs).

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

TLJ OST

Haven't listened to this form in a while. Not nearly as good a presentation as TFA's, but the score's not as well structured, even if its innumerable highlights far surpass TFA for me. I love what this score does with the themes TFA set up (MotR in Escape and Battle of Crait, Kylo Ren in The Supremacy and The Last Jedi), even if some of the best renditions ar not on the OST. (MotR in Holdo's Speech, Rey Trains, Rey Runs). 

What about The Spark?!?

33 minutes ago, Holko said:

Tintin OST

Yeah, still pretty good. Pursuit of the Falcon, Snowy's Chase, Escape from the Karaboudjan and Flight to Bagghar are great, otherwise I much prefer the softer, subtler stuff like Secret of the Scrolls, Capturing Mr. Silk and The Captain's Counsel over the pirate material and the crane duel.

What about Sir Francis and the Unicorn?!?

Out of the Shadows by Christopher Gordon

What a strange score. Filled with Goldenthal-esque electric guitar rips, Kilar-esque lower bass chromatics and a fully unbridled brass chorale to boot! The last part, especially, has no business in a modern Hollywood score unless your name is John Williams. Kudos to Gordon for finding a space for such uncompromising writing. Fun stuff.

2 hours ago, Holko said:

Tintin OST

TFA OST

This does a phenomenal job of condensing the score into a (quite long at almost 78 minutes) 1-disc presentation, keeping most of the highlights and trimming out all the fat from them (which, seeing the movie again, a lot of the cues have a ton of). Other than Kylo Ren Arrives at the Battle, Jedi Steps and everything with Rey's Theme, I consider most of this setup that Last Jedi can take further and make much better. Especially MotR, I hate the concert piece and don't like most of its occurences here. Not a big fan of The Falcon, more of the Scherzo. Apart from a cue or two (Lightspeed Landing, The Resistance), I'm not going to lose sleep over this not being released in complete form - unless we get a slew of more interesting early alternates.

TLJ OST

Tintin was so much fun. Very quick and nice style from Williams. Saw it and listened to it for the first time last week.

TFA OST is very well put together, even though we need a CR.

TLJ was great. Not enough Holdo's theme on the OST. That was the biggest mistake.

My only gripe with the TFA OST is its relative lack of action material, especially when compared to previous Star Wars OSTs. 

I wouldn’t change a thing about the OST for TLJ. It’s near perfectly constructed, in my mind. 

David Holmes - Ocean's 11 (FYC)

AHhhhhh!  The OST for this is very unsatisfying, since half the music is covered in dialogue from the film, and it doesn't have all the cues (and they are presented in no particular order), and there are pop songs interspersed.  This is JUST Holmes' original score, and I think, all of it, and its such fun.  The only thing disppointing about it after repeated listens is that in the end, without Gritty Shaker and A Little Less Conversation, this album is more on the subdued side, since those two pieces are used to pep things up in their relevant parts of the film.  I suppose a perfect album would have those 2 bits added to this presentation, or at least Gritty Shaker since it's sound was so intrinsic to the score he'd write years later.

Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE, et all - Xenoblade Chronicles 2 - Torna: The Golden Country

A big fat meh here.  I was so excited for this since the original Xenoblade 2 is the best score of 2017, but this expansion is pretty boring;  The best parts are reworkings of original Xenoblade 2 cues.  The new material is a lot of endless piano noodling.  Big bummer.

Yasunori Mitsuda, ACE, et all - Xenoblade Chronicles 2

Ahhhh that's more like it!

John WIlliams - The Last Jedi (OST)

I like this score

David Arnold - Independence Day (OST)

I love this score.  The OST album skips past too much amazing music though.  Love the LLL edition.

James Horner - Star Trek 2 The Wrath of Khan (OST)

One of hte most perfect OST albums of all time.  Expertly arranged and sequenced.  (I am thankful for the narration-free finale cue we eventually got, though).

:music: The Polar Express by Alan Silvestri. A score in dire need of proper release. Every year, around this time, I keep my fingers crossed that one of the labels might pick it up.

Karol

I was listening earlier to another trilogy of scores myself: The Matrix Trilogy. Solid stuff, some of the best music for a big franchise in the past 20 years.

Karol

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I was listening earlier to another trilogy of scores myself: The Matrix Trilogy. Solid stuff, some of the best music for a big franchise in the past 20 years.

Karol

The first film's been on Pluto lately so I've caught bits and pieces while doing stuff around the house.  I forgot how that score films the film like a glove, it's perfect in the film!  All the source music chosen fits in just as well, too

Jerry Goldsmith's The Sum of All Fears -couple of listens and can't quite get into it. Most of it seems to pass by -somewhere between Air Force One and his later Star Trek's. Feels sacrilegious to dislike a score but doesn't have much of an effect yet. 

John Williams' Black Sunday. Not bad, certainly parts of the score lasted in the memory long after listening during my shift. Always partial to this era of Williams' scores -in, around and before Star Wars. 

3 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

The score to the first installment was without a doubt the best, and perfectly condensed on the 30 minute OST. The sequels, both films and scores, are best forgotten.

Nonsense. While they are lesser works overall, they still boast some fine damn music.

Besides, why would anyone want to forget this?

9 hours ago, Jay said:

John Williams - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban

I love how Williams dropped everything from the first score except Hedwig's Theme (and Nimbus 2000 in a re-written cue) and crafted that basically entirely new score with a new sound that still fits into the magical world established by the first two.  The medieval stylings are so cool as are the new themes and choral work.  I even like the tik tok effect for the time travel sequence.  Really cool score.

While it might have been Cuaron who demanded a different approach, Williams must have been very happy to oblige since he usually prefers to write something new rather than purely revisit the old with the sequels. Still he manages to retain the same HP world feel throughout even without constant quotes of the older material.  And again in this case the end result is brilliant.