What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

6 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I know, I believe you! I just didn't expect that to be reason! That's rather clever and cute, I'll give him that.

Now if only we could use the same adjectives to describe his modern film scores....

Any other recommendations of Danny? I mainly love Batman Returns, Nightmare Before Christmas, Mars Attacks and now this one. Never got into Edward Scissorhands, sadly (it's a great score in the movie, but it's such a dry recording on either album). I remember liking Nightbreed, but don't see an affordably copy of that one.

8 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Any other recommendations of Danny? I mainly love Batman Returns, Nightmare Before Christmas, Mars Attacks and now this one. Never got into Edward Scissorhands, sadly (it's a great score in the movie, but it's such a dry recording on either album). I remember liking Nightbreed, but don't see an affordably copy of that one.

Here are the ones I'm a huge fan of:

Dick Tracy

Darkman

Dolores Claiborne

Mission: Impossible 

Spider-Man (and particularly Spider-Man 2)

Hellboy II

Corpse Bride

S.O.P.

...Aaaand, that's all I can think of at the moment. That's a lot of music, so relax and settle down with this:

(Also, I always felt similarly about Edward Scissorhands. This was my favorite track:

)

Might be a leftover from my early misguided love for the movie, but I really dig Elfman's 4 short style/genre studies for the same stanzas (same rythm but different lyrics, both from Dahl this time) that are the Oompa-Loompa songs in Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

Because it's not good? I was a kid, it was relatively close to the book, I didn't know any better. It has some wonderful ideas and sets, but Depp ruins the whole thing. I certainly didn't know about an actually heartwarming earlier version's existence.

8 hours ago, Holko said:

I really dig Elfman's 4 short style/genre studies for the same stanzas (same rythm but different lyrics, both from Dahl this time) that are the Oompa-Loompa songs in Charlie and the Chocolate Factor

Me too!

I think the movie had its strengths. 

Batman, by Danny Elfman :music:

***** out of *****

On ‎10‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:27 PM, kaseykockroach said:

Listening to the new Halloween score.

I was surprised by just how much I enjoyed this score. Awesome how they got back Carpenter as a collaborator. 

7 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Me too!

Can't go wrong with tens or hundreds of singing Elfmen!

Which one's your favourite? Mine's definitely Veruca Salt, followed closely by Augustus Gloop and Mike Teavee.

19 minutes ago, Holko said:

Mine's definitely Veruca Salt

It's the best one, the most full and fleshed-out: great Beatles et al. homage. Mike Teavee is tons of fun (love the vocal Psycho reference), and I'm partial to the Violet Beauragarde song. Have to go, but will post relevant clips soon.

5 minutes ago, Bilbo said:

No.

It's alright if you like music that's not as well-written and ballsy.

27 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Queen wasn’t nearly as consistent.  Half their output is kinda garbage.  But the other half is fucking brilliant of course.

Great singles band but yeah, there’s a woeful amount of trash there. 

The Beatles on the other hand...

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

I wouldn't say everything the Beatles shat out was pure gold, but it's damn close to that.

There’s a couple of duds of course but overall, yeah. Nobody can match them imo. 

The Beatles never turned me really on.  Don't know why.  I'm with Nick on this one.  Par example, there are some Bangles songs that definitely draw on the Beatles that I enjoy much more than their inspiration.

That being said, Eleanor Rigby is bloody brilliant.

3 hours ago, Nick Parker said:

Any of you ever listen to Zappa's "We're In It For the Money"?

Nick, that's WE'RE ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY.

Yes, I like it, but I prefer APOSTROPHE ('), HOT RATS, SHIP ARRIVING TOO LATE...,  JOE'S GARAGE, and (my favourite) SHEIK YERBUTI.

3 hours ago, Bilbo said:

Great singles band but yeah, there’s a woeful amount of trash there. 

I wouldn't call LIAR, JESUS, WHITE QUEEN (AS IT BEGAN), FATHER TO SON, OGRE BATTLE, FUNNY HOW LIVE IS, BRIGHTON ROCK, LILLY OF THE VALLEY, BRING BACK THAT LEROY BROWN, STORMTROOPER IN  STILETTOS, THE PROPHET'S SONG, GOOD COMPANY, WHITE MAN, TEO TORIATTE, FIGHT FROM THE INSIDE, GET DOWN MAKE LOVE, IT'S LATE, MUSTAFA, DREAMER'S BALL, LEAVING HOME AIN'T EASY, MORE OF THAT JAZZ, DRAGON ATTACK, ROCK IT (PRIME JIVE), DANCER, MACHINES (OR BACK TO HUMANS), KEEP PASSING THE OPEN WINDOWS, DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD, KASHOGGI'S SHIP, PARTY, RIDE THE WILD WIND, and ALL GOD'S PEOPLE, 

"trash".

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

I wouldn't call LIAR, JESUS, WHITE QUEEN (AS IT BEGAN), FATHER TO SON, OGRE BATTLE, FUNNY HOW LIVE IS, BRIGHTON ROCK, LILLY OF THE VALLEY, BRING BACK THAT LEROY BROWN, STORMTROOPER IN  STILETTOS, THE PROPHET'S SONG, GOOD COMPANY, WHITE MAN, TEO TORIATTE, FIGHT FROM THE INSIDE, GET DOWN MAKE LOVE, IT'S LATE, MUSTAFA, DREAMER'S BALL, LEAVING HOME AIN'T EASY, MORE OF THAT JAZZ, DRAGON ATTACK, ROCK IT (PRIME JIVE), DANCER, MACHINES (OR BACK TO HUMANS), KEEP PASSING THE OPEN WINDOWS, DON'T LOSE YOUR HEAD, KASHOGGI'S SHIP, PARTY, RIDE THE WILD WIND, and ALL GOD'S PEOPLE, 

"trash".

Seriously?  Most of those songs are just forgettable filler.  Not all, but most for sure.

Sleepy Hollow is such a brutal, demanding listen. A graphic assault on the ears, an orgasmic gothic musical massacre. A listening experience only for the bravest of listeners, only the most bloodthirsty of horror score fans. I LOVE it. 

It's as though the conductor was commanding the orchestra with an axe instead of the usual baton!

This is not a score you dive into for thematic material to have lodged into your head. You go into this for its truly dark, unrelentingly menacing atmosphere. Even the score's moments of respite, while not necessarily rare, tend to have an underlying wickedness. 

It's Elfman at his most cruel and vicious. Even the similar-and-also-good Wolfman doesn't go quite as massively evil as this one! That snarling brass! The creeping strings! Mwahahahaha!

The second balletic JNH this year...and it suits him! It‘s 30% Tchaikovski and 70% Maleficent & Co. All very cute and not original in any way but at this time of the year we cherish such qualities probably more.

Star Wars: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (Remastered OST)

These remasters of the prequel OSTs are the only thing Disney has gotten right with Star Wars. The improved sonics really make this music come alive. Nice and punchy, especially compared to the original CDs, which had bafflingly muddy audio. Sith notably had very unnatural sounding percussion, which has now been rectified.

These Shawn Murphy recordings can turn out to be quite good considering the transition to their original OST CDs gives the impression that he's a fucking awful engineer when it comes to JW. So what the hell happened back then? An enjoyable if somewhat oddly designed album with many of the score's big highlights. It now serves as a sad reminder of another, ultimately better time.

I don't care what any of you people say. Williams was hitting the notes in this one and while TFA was a fun diversion (TLJ didn't even inspire a relisten), I don't think I've been as entertained by Johnny Baby's music since Revenge of the Sith closed out the saga.

Suspiria by Thom Yorke

Greenwood, he ain't. But there are nice ideas here and a good song or two to boot. The album runs much too long though, especially for ambience of this kind (there is a 15 minute vocal drone which I'm sure many JWFanners will love). Still, it is more distinctive than most film music these days, which is as much as one can hope for.

:music: The Nutcracker and the Four Realms by James Newton Howard. It is actually a very pleasant surprise. There's nothing truly revolutionary about it but it is unmistakably JNH's work. Yes, there are some excerpt from Tchaikovsky ballet in this but I'm glad to report they didn't just copy and paste it but actually "JNHize" them and thus making the score more interesting to listen to. I suppose it will be a love album to listen to around Christmas. Good, if not exactly groundbreaking, stuff.

Karol 

On 10/25/2018 at 4:55 PM, Bilbo said:

There’s a couple of duds of course but overall, yeah. Nobody can match them imo. 

You do realise that Steve Jobs preferred Bob Dylan don't you?

Blasphemy!

1 hour ago, Nick1066 said:

You do realise that Steve Jobs preferred Bob Dylan don't you?

Blasphemy!

Yes I do know that and Bob Dylan is one of my favourite artists of all time .

But the Beatles were king.

:music: John Williams - Pete 'n' Tilly (from Stanley & Iris: The Deluxe Edition/Pete 'n' Tillie, Varèse Sarabande, 2017) :music:

:music: E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial (audio of John Williams performing the "E.T." score live with the film at the Shrine Auditorium 2002 Premiere, from the 2002 DVD) :music:

1 hour ago, kaseykockroach said:

Listening to Danny Elfman’s violin concerto. Magnificent! 

2 minutes ago, Iron_Giant said:

Where are you hearing it?? Has it been released??

Yes., @kaseykockroach, enlighten us, please!!

It's a great movie by Richard Brooks and Jones' score - a cool mix of (experimental) jazz, americana and dark string pieces. It's one of the few but rewarding scores Jones did in the latter half of the 60's, which are all good.

4 hours ago, kaseykockroach said:

Sorry, I just meant I was listening to bits and pieces that were uploaded is all! I didn't realize the whole thing hasn't been released yet.

A complete performance showed up on YouTube a few weeks back, but was deleted for copyright reasons before I got the chance to listen to it.