• Announcements

    • Jay

      Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

      Hello!

      We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
El Jefe

What Is The Last Score You Listened To?

27537 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Richard said:

Brilliant, just brilliant. There's a lot of love for that score, here at JWfan, and long may it continue!

 

Great mix of electronics and traditional orchestra. For a later Barry score too, there are a decent amount of themes as well. The Mujaheldin theme is excellent, though I would have liked to have seen the Russian sounding Koskov motif develop into a full fledge motif, it's still great. 

Richard likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Silverado by Bruce Broughton

 

Nixon by John Williams

 

How to Train Your Dragon by John Powell

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring OST - Howard Shore

 

The CR is my preferred version of this score but I love going back to the original soundtrack released in 2001. It's a little heavy on the Ringwraith material in the first half and maybe a little light on History of the Ring but overall I think it might be my favourite OST album of all time. It's sublime and worth owning alongside for the cello line in "The Prophecy" alone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Lord of the Rings the Two Towers OST - Howard Shore

I really like how this album showcases the new material rather than including the popular bits common with the first film. 

 

The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King OST - Howard Shore

Rather brilliant

 

Listening to Jaws now. It's by some Williams guy, I think he plays the guitar or something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

The Lord of the Rings the Two Towers OST - Howard Shore

I really like how this album showcases the new material rather than including the popular bits common with the first film.

 

Idiot!

 

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

The Lord of the Rings the Return of the King OST - Howard Shore

Rather brilliant

 

Yes!

 

1 hour ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Listening to Jaws now. It's by some Williams guy, I think he plays the guitar or something. 

 

The guitar bits are the best part of the score.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

David Shire- The Big Bus, The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3

Jerry Goldsmith- Players, MacArthur, Rudy

and Russell Garcia's The Time Machine

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

All the answers are here:

 

 

Nice review. I understand exactly where you're coming from but I have always enjoyed TTT OST. Sure, it's nowhere near the level of FOTR but I enjoy it for what it is. If we didn't have the CRs though....

 

 

I definitely agree that theres a better OST presentation to be made from all the available material though. 

 

Slightly related... while listening to these today it struck me that, occasionally, its nice to listen to the 3 OSTs in under three hours and get a somewhat complete experience in doing so. I prefer the CRs on the whole but sometimes you want something that doesn't take up 11 hours of your life. The problem with the Hobbit releases was the fact that the standard editions were too long. I wish we had nice 70 minute presentations of each of the films. I'm thinking of putting a bit of time into compiling them myself. 

 

Have you made some yourself?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Slightly related... while listening to these today it struck me that, occasionally, its nice to listen to the 3 OSTs in under three hours and get a somewhat complete experience in doing so. I prefer the CRs on the whole but sometimes you want something that doesn't take up 11 hours of your life. The problem with the Hobbit releases was the fact that the standard editions were too long. I wish we had nice 70 minute presentations of each of the films. I'm thinking of putting a bit of time into compiling them myself. 

 

Have you made some yourself?

 

Yep (though they are more like slightly edited down versions of the standard releases than actual 70 minutes long programs. I'll have to rework them to make them shorter. Maybe once the CRs are out? ;)).

 

Here's the AUJ one (78 minutes long):

 

And the DOS one (91 minutes long):

 

 

And BOFA (95 minutes long. Not entirely satisfied with this one. Didn't put much effort into it (and thus haven't really shortened it that much), but then again I'm not satisfied with how the battle music was presented on the album and you can't really move it around, because all the cues are combined, with almost no clean ending available):

 

01. Fire And Water

02. Shores Of The Long Lake

03. Beyond Sorrow And Grief (Extended Version)

04. Dragon Sickness

05. The Ruins Of Dale

06. The Gathering Of The Clouds (Extended Version)

07. Mithril

08. Bred For War

09. A Thief In The Night

10. The Clouds Burst

11. Battle For The Mountain

12. War Beasts (= 00:00-02:42 of The Darkest Hour)

13. The Darkest Hour (= 02:42 - End of The Darkest Hour)

14. Sons Of Durin

15. The Fallen

16. Ravenhill (= 00:00-03:31 of Ravenhill + 02:14-End of To The Death (Extended Version).  A really half-arsed transition there).

17. Courage And Wisdom

18. The Return Journey

19. There And Back Again

20. The Last Goodbye

21. Ironfoot (Extended Version)

Bilbo Skywalker likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

 

Yep (though they are more like slightly edited down versions of the standard releases than actual 70 minutes long programs. I'll have to rework them to make them shorter. Maybe once the CRs are out? ;)).

 

Here's the AUJ one (78 minutes long):

 

And the DOS one (91 minutes long):

 

 

And BOFA (95 minutes long. Not entirely satisfied with this one. Didn't put much effort into it (and thus haven't really shortened it that much), but then again I'm not satisfied with how the battle music was presented on the album and you can't really move it around, because all the cues are combined, with almost no clean ending available):

 

01. Fire And Water

02. Shores Of The Long Lake

03. Beyond Sorrow And Grief (Extended Version)

04. Dragon Sickness

05. The Ruins Of Dale

06. The Gathering Of The Clouds (Extended Version)

07. Mithril

08. Bred For War

09. A Thief In The Night

10. The Clouds Burst

11. Battle For The Mountain

12. War Beasts (= 00:00-02:42 of The Darkest Hour)

13. The Darkest Hour (= 02:42 - End of The Darkest Hour)

14. Sons Of Durin

15. The Fallen

16. Ravenhill (= 00:00-03:31 of Ravenhill + 02:14-End of To The Death (Extended Version).  A really half-arsed transition there).

17. Courage And Wisdom

18. The Return Journey

19. There And Back Again

20. The Last Goodbye

21. Ironfoot (Extended Version)

 

 

Thanks! 

 

I'll have a look at this in more detail in the morning. If I do my own I don't think I'll go to the hassle of editing tracks but I would like to see if I can get them all down to 70-80 minutes each. 

 

To be consistent with LotR I'd like to include the songs but there's no way I'm putting I See Fire on. 

 

I might go with the Dwarf Cast singing for AUJ and Last Goodbye for BotFA.

 

Just go straight to Beyond the Forest for DoS.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hellraiser by Christopher Young

 

The Wolfman by Danny Elfman

 

SUN - Soul of the Ultimate Nation by Howard Shore

 

Silence of the Lambs by Howard Shore

 

Bless the Child by Christopher Young

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/16/2017 at 10:53 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

 

Love this one!  

 

I always find it quite stirring with the main theme and all. Liked the film since I was a kid. Couldn't beat Rod Taylor back in the day.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 16/07/2017 at 10:19 PM, Strangways said:

David Shire- The Big Bus, The Taking of Pelham 1-2-3

Jerry Goldsmith- Players, MacArthur, Rudy

and Russell Garcia's The Time Machine

 

 

All fine choices. I'm not sure if David Shire has gotten the recognition that he deserves.

#Six months to live# :lol:

THE TIME MACHINE is a cracking score, from a cracking film.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Titanic

Independence Day

Casino Royale

Star Trek: First Contact

Star Wars: Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 11:19 PM, Strangways said:

Jerry Goldsmith- Players, MacArthur, Rudy

How would you evaluate MacArthur in comparison with Patton and Inchon?

Can you recommend Players?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Harry Potter 1

 

It's a difficult thing for a score to keep me entertained for over 2 hours, but this one's incredible. Williams is usually at his best when he's scoring silly Hollywood children's movies. Hook, Star Wars, E.T., The Lost World: Jurassic Park etc.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I also enjoy his Americana scores like The Patriot and JFK. And his scores that Napster credited him for like Back to the Future, Batman and Star Trek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

'In The Heart of the Sea'

 

Roque Banos filling in for RCP/Zimmer. The curious result is unsatisfying as a whole but remains on my longlist of worthwile recent soundtracks, filing 'what could have been'. Whenever big set pieces and action rears their 3D multiplex head, the score becomes insufferable tribal drums, shuffling bass rhythms and all the other ingredients any temp track robot could emulate. These parts, starting early in 'Essex Leaving Harbor' and going well into 'Abandon Ship', have to be programmed out.

 

Then the tugs on the heartstring start, probably - luckily - temped either with Horner or Morricone, and Banos finally can write some real music. It's a long elegiac finish in search of a better first half. It may very well be that this isn't overly original but there's a discreet epic scope that finally pulls you inside that story and the handling of the vocalise and the solemn horn chords is pro writing on Horner level (Ron Howard knows a thing or two bout that, of course). 

 

A garden-variety sampling of bonus cues follow that are mostly quiet but also better than the album's sagging two thirds - necessitating the playlist aficionado to put them somewhere midway, though that still makes not for a very satisfying musical journey but as part of a good epic orchestral score you pretend does not exist in longer form, it's one of 2016's better efforts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh, this is a really hot summer!

 

Going back home, I will listen to the three first Indiana Jones, the OST programs.

 

p_8215832.jpg

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no such church! There is only JWFan Pro.

 

And we are allowed to spar with each other on occasion! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I actually expect that KK and I agree.  A functional score, but which taken on its own is hardly Nolan and Zimmer's finest hour. 

 

I mean, Nolan cited The Battle of Algiers for the way it was scored.  This was never going to be beautiful, subtle music. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Exactly what a member of the Contrarian Church would say.

 

Enough of this vitriol, it is time you join us brother!

 

18 minutes ago, TheGreyPilgrim said:

I actually expect that KK and I agree.  A functional score, but which taken on its own is hardly Nolan and Zimmer's finest hour. 

 

I mean, Nolan cited The Battle of Algiers for the way it was scored.  This was never going to be beautiful, subtle music. 

 

I expect it to work well in the film, which I see tonight. And there are certain elements I actually like: the claustrophobic bass motif first heard halfway in "The Mole" and the siren motif heard in "The Oil" and the end of "Supermarine" (which funny enough, turned out to be the best cue on the album).

 

But most of this barely rises above functional ambience. And I am not at all a fan of the use of Elgar here.

 

It's not as offensive as Chappie or Inferno, but its not much good either.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, KK said:

Enough of this vitriol, it is time you join us brother!

 

How does one join the Contrarian Church? Do you have to refuse to join it in order to actually join it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now