What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Spectre 

Composed by Thomas Newman

OST

Tires. Quite tired. Lacks thematic material, or at least any that I could pick up on, and is genuinely uninteresting. However, this comes after a delightful sweep through of John Barry's Bond scores, so there is a bias present.

:music: Fahrenheit 451 and The Bride Wore Black by Bernard Herrmann. The only two Herrmann/Truffaut serve pretty much an extension of the Hitchcock collaborations - it's a shame this collaborations didn't last longer. The two are diametrically opposed - the first one is a much warmer score speaking to the humanity of the lost civilisation while the latter is much more brutal and dry affair. It's great that both scores received two excellent re-recordings in recent years with fantastic detailed liner notes. Excellent stuff.

Karol - who has a strong appetite for everything Herrmann recently

On 1/26/2019 at 3:19 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Empire of the Sun 

Composed by John Williams

OST

Really, really good. From Cadillac of the Skies, to the Chopin reference, to the American Grenadiers, and Exsultate Justi, the album really covers a lot of different moods. I think that's what a lot of the completely Williams cues do: set the mood. Then the traditional and classical references add another layer of substance to the listening experience. And then the finale Exusltate Justi. Well, yes, is wonderful.

**** out of *****

Good review, Jerry.

Imo, NO ROAD HOME/SEEING THE BOMB was, at the time, among the finest pieces of music he'd ever composed.

Empire Of The Sun

I know it’s days apart from Jerry’s review, but why not.

The best way to listen to this score would be to listen to it while watching the film.

The music really captures the feelings and emotions going through Jamie Graham and in my opinion completes what’s going on on the screen.  Without the music of Williams, it would not have the same impact that it does on me.

****out of****

It must have been written during the peak of John’s creativity.

3 hours ago, Warrior of Wet Dreams said:

First one has some lovely moments, but anyone else think Happy Feet Two's the better score?

Happy Feet Two?

Ehhhhhhhh...

I relistened to these:

The Aristocats (Walt Disney Legacy Collection) composed by Geroge Bruns

One of my favourite Disney Classic scores. The Goose Steps High is probably one of the more memorable tracks, but the swingy theme for the butler is also quite amusing.

Mission Impossible: Rogue Nation composed by Joe Kraemer

The development of Lalo Schifrin's unforgettable theme, especially in the opening track, is spot-on. I definitely have high hopes for Kraemer to score future Mission Impossible films.

Thunderball composed by John Barry

My favourite Bond score. The bonus tracks that cover the Underwater Battle are simply Barry at his best. Not to mention Mr. Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which is quite catchy.

Jaws (Decca Records) composed by John Williams

Despite there being a much better and more recent expansion of this beloved score, I've been making due with my little Decca digipak for the last little while. I really payed close attention to some of the wicked stuff Williams puts in there for the harp. The interpolation of Spanish Ladies is quite comical. The Shark Cage Fugue has an air of determination, quite strong. Father and Son is probably one of my favourite cues from the score. So gentle and close, really perfect for the scene.

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (OST) composed by John Williams

We really need an expansion. That's all I can say. The obvious highlights were Duel of the Fates, The Flag Parade, the Droid Battle, etc. But I can think of so many more that aren't on the album. 2019 marks the 20th anniversary of the film, so maybe an expansion is warranted. Music rights will be an interesting factor.

1 minute ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

The interpolation of Spanish Ladies is quite comical.

I love that little bit!  For whatever reason I hadn't really noticed it over the years until I saw the film live to projection in Boston.  So clever!

23 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (OST) composed by John Williams

We really need an expansion. That's all I can say. The obvious highlights were Duel of the Fates, The Flag Parade, the Droid Battle, etc. But I can think of so many more that aren't on the album. 2019 marks the 20th anniversary of the film, so maybe an expansion is warranted. Music rights will be an interesting factor.

Those supposed highlights only matter if you've seen the film. Which I haven't, because I'm smart. :D

:music: Vice by Nichal Britell. OK, this is really good. I only heard for the first time last night while watching the film. Definitely one of the highlights of 2018. It's the kind of music you hope Thomas Newman would write and he (almost) never does. Not bad Mr. Britell, not bad at all.

Karol

:music: Star Trek: The Motion Picture by Jerry Goldsmith. Complete film score plus early version. You really get a sense this score takes you on the journey beyond the unknown. It's one of the very few s-f scores that actually evokes that sense of wonder. And because the film itself allows, the entire work might be probably the single best flowing musical soundtrack experience of all time.

Karol

Blade Runner 2049

"Composed" by Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch

Whoah! This makes Dunkirk look like a musical utopia. 

In in all honesty, it's boring soundscaping, environment developing buzzing noises with occasional percussion (if you can even call it that). It sounded like a 737 taking off, reaching a fairly high altitude, and then blowing an engine. There may have been some slight organ emphasis on a few tracks which gets the score a point or two in my book. Really disappointing.

20 hours ago, crocodile said:

Star Trek: The Motion Picture by Jerry Goldsmith

I reckon that's a fantastic score.

16 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Blade Runner 2049

Composed by Hans Zimmer and Benjamin Wallfisch

So is this one. 

4 minutes ago, TGP said:

You think?  One of the best I've seen in years. 

It was well made and executed on a story level but it just doesn't capture the magic of the first Blade Runner.  It has that deliberate pacing as well as similar thematic exploration but lacks the hypnotic neo-noir atmosphere (lots of foggy, warm looking daytime scenes)

As said before, the story itself is a bit better and more rounded than the first movie but that's not really the appeal of Blade Runner for me.

22 minutes ago, John said:

It’s nowhere near as melodic or mesmerizing as Vangelis’ original score, though I imagine it works well in the film. 

The horns of doom and the usual brash loudness of the sequel score were a detraction for me.

On the Beach by Christopher Gordon: This guy should just write more music, period. This older one from him is just a terrific display of his orchestral writing, lovely themes and great sense of drama.

2 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

I don't understand how people can listen to Blade Runner 2049, at least away from the film.

The only good take-away was the colourful album art.

3 hours ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Say what you will, but Blade Runner 2049 is a terrible listening experience. 

You need to learn the important distinction between opinion and fact and how to talk about those two things differently, and how to "understand" points of view contrary to your own, if you're going to survive here, or I'll personally see to it that you don't.  We're better than that. This isn't FSM or Filmtracks.

16 minutes ago, dougie said:

Are we, though? Are we really?

There was a time at least.  Things didn't always become competitions.  People didn't have to be "right" about their opinions.

29 minutes ago, TGP said:

You need to learn the important distinction between opinion and fact and how to talk about those two things differently, and how to "understand" points of view contrary to your own, if you're going to survive here, or I'll personally see to it that you don't.  We're better than that. This isn't FSM or Filmtracks.

I thought you left this site? Or was that just a stunt for attention?

23 minutes ago, John said:

I thought you left this site?

Come on man.  Don't be obnoxious.  Is it too much to ask that people don't act so god damn dismissive of shit they don't like?  There enough misery in the world.  Griping about film music seems a terrible waste.  And for those who are "baffled" by differing opinions, yes, it's likely that myself or someone else here who tends to have less popular opinions will end up being responsible for them leaving.  They're likely to abandon the internet altogether if they're really that stumped when it comes to putting themselves in someone else's brain and trying to get why they think what they think.

1 minute ago, TGP said:

Griping about film music seems a terrible waste.

But is throwing a hissy fit over people’s opinions any different?

I swear, the hypocrisy from some on this site is just stunning. 

1 minute ago, John said:

But is throwing a hissy fit over people’s opinions any different?

I swear, the hypocrisy from some on this site is just stunning. 

I don't see any hissy fits.  You do seem to be going out of your way to escalate things though.  That's my cue to back off.

51 minutes ago, TGP said:

If you oppose feel free to share your opinion.

To paraphrase Jay, no need to be disappointed about other people's opinions. I'm sure there are plenty of scores that I love that you wouldn't like.

3 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

If you oppose feel free to share your opinion.

I did.  That's why you made the posts I quoted in the first place though, wasn't it?