What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Oh, i have it. Kept the 'Main Title' and something called 'Fin Repair Sequence'. Good stuff for a rare misstep of a movie (for Robert Wise).

Yeah it was with The Black Sunday among those 1970s JW scores that we only got to fully discover in the 2000s. And it was a real treat. :)

And it is indeed a fine one, suspenseful but in a Hitchcockian way always great fun.

Return of the Jedi by John Williams: The RCA Victor release. As fantastic as I remembered it to be. If only they had included the original Ewok Celebration as a bonus track. The new one feels like small scale samba carnival and clearly points the way to the full-fledged one in TPM's Augie's Municipal Band.

Saving Private Ryan by John Williams

Family Plot by John Williams

I Love a Parade by John Williams & Boston Pops

I hope Ewok Celebration will be restored into the film someday.

No one complained about it before 1997. Did anyone say "this music was a mistake, it must be replaced!"

Well there was the added footage that needed musical coverage so that explains it in part. Why they just didn't re-record and extend the original is another question. But it is luckily available on the Anthology Boxed Set so you can very easily make your own complete playlist for RotJ. Then again the film version is spliced together with the film version of ESB end credits in the box set. They were not thinking of OCD fans when they put that together were they?!!!

Music for Stage and Screen by John Williams & Boston Pops: A terrific compilation of two of Williams' own concert suite incarnations of his scores for The Reivers and Born on the Fourth of July and Aaron Copland's suite from his film score The Red Pony and his reworking of his theatre music for Quiet City. Trumpet player Tim Morrison shines as the star of the album in the Born on the Fourth of July and Quiet City suites and his sound is warm, agile and beautifully balanced. Highly recommended.

No one complained about it before 1997. Did anyone say "this music was a mistake, it must be replaced!"

Does Victory Celebration 1997 begin as source music? I mean, are we supposed to believe that this is Ewok music, being performed live while Nien Numb and Ackbar dance around the fire? Is the chorus on the album version intended to be Ewoks? Because they don't fucking sound like that.

What's Williams' return/exchange policy on this Star Wars music? I'd like to exchange Victory Celebration for Ewok Celebration and just return Padme's Ruminations.

the-ghost-and-the-darkness.jpg

THE GHOST AND THE DARKNESS - Jerry Goldsmith

Big, old-fashioned adventure movie that lay on screenwriter William Goldman's desk for 20 years before finally reaching the screen - part thriller, part travelogue it's the kind of movie that seems to belong to a different era and its 1996 incarnation had for a variety of unplanned reason the unlikely Val Kilmer in the lead as british bridge builder and the also formidably miscast producer Michael Douglas as Big White Hunter (he volunteered after other, more sensible casting choices fell through). So while the movie is far from perfect, the dedicated craftmanlike direction by Stephen Hopkins makes the most of it, with big postcard moments of the african savannah that are effectively engineered in tandem with thrilling setpieces of a horrific, ongoing hunt for dangerous, insane maneaters slaughtering hundreds of Kilmer's african bridge workers for no apparent reason.

James Newton Howard was the composer of choice who fell through due to scheduling conflicts, a twist of fate that brought veteran composer Jerry Goldsmith on the scene who jumped at the chance: big male outdoor adventure, Africa, lots of hunts, suspense and 'drama' (as much drama as Val Kilmer having perfunctory flashbacks of his pregnant wife back home could possibly muster) - a match made in heaven. It's the kind of score that younger soundtrack fans mostly embraced, having no problems with Goldsmith's then-glossy and polished orchestration, his unabashedly broad thematic writing and his creative chance-taking with sampled african voices that he pitched and bended to his own delight. Older fans eternally hooked on Goldsmith's brilliant 60's and 70's works maybe didn't 'stay away in droves' but kind of dismissed it as another simplistic modern score that couldn't hold a candle to the raptures of yesteryear - a bit like the fat beerdrinking middle-aged guy feeling fully entitled to lecture and badmouth world-class athletes on their performance while having not left his couch since decades.

This is not to say it's a perfect score but it is damn well a testament why Goldsmith was one of the most sought-after composer up to his untimely demise: while the score is sleek and modern - in a way his peers never could manage - it's also very strict in its construction as only Goldsmith could do - not an ounce of fat on it - and complementing it with the one ingenious touch - the sampled vocals - that i think captured the composer's imagination. It would be too easy to dismiss these as artificial timesavers and a poor substitute for a 'real' chorus. I think the cumulated effect of the electronic effects on GATD is tremendous, building an unique atmosphere that includes posh ethnic chic but also a terrible savage and steely dread, a sound that really hadn't a precedent in 1996 (Big deal, some would say;).

The least of all is the big jubilant main theme that sees Goldsmith trying to bolster the movie with some imperial David Lean swagger that is pleasant enough but doesn't seem really connected to anything in the movie proper (people have complained that the bouncy woodwind jig that runs underneath is seems awfully tacky as 'irish' ingredient - which seems on par with Kilmer's performance then, of course - but it fares better if you just think of it as ingenious african piece). The jig with its flexible half-tone steps is of course ideally suited for Goldsmith's precise style so that's really the main character theme for the rest of the movie while the big horn theme only appears in three key scenes, seeming a bit overblown for the occasion. Dispending with his core material for most of the movie, Goldsmith then depends on three musical ideas that are the real heart of the score, one being a huge, detached fanfare built of blocky horn chords that seems a bit clumsy but actually blends in with the wide african steppe rather well (it doubles as a character theme for Michael Douglas who turns up later in the movie, so its purpose is rather nebulous except that it always turns up with huge vistas), the other one a dreamy reflective tune mostly on flutes or pipy synth as in the end of THE BRIDGE, and finally the brutal, growling brass for the lions that either menaces as they are approaching or ferociously attacking...when they attack, naturally. The suspense material derived from this is enriched with all kinds of ideas, like distant bird calls, metallic sounding-scratches and so on, musically illustrating the mad lions and their terror. It's really quite full of little inventive vignettes.

To finalize this before noon approaches, the 2-CD Intrada is to me a godsend: while the old Hollywood Records album did a good job of condensing the score into a nice 38-minute (custom Goldsmith length) package, there was so much rewritten, differently mixed and missing altogether that only this release finally unleashes all the fun Goldsmith obviously had with especially the moodier and more dramatic material: cues like 'Stand Off', 'The Thicket' (or 'Prepare for Battle' in a different edit in the main program) or 'The Cave' and several shorter cues let the score breath and develop instead of just interrupting the more sunny travelogue material as on the original album. The sound really knocks you off your feet: a perfect blend of orchestra, ethnic percussion and synth that sounds alive and really huge. It's a lasting example of Goldsmith key virtues even of his later days: perfect craftmanship paired with a pragmatic curiosity for experiment and a keen ear for the future.

Wow you must have been possessed by the old Goldsmith himself to write such a lengthy piece. Makes it seem almost like my own review-sermons of the past. ;)

But very eloquently put and I wholeheartedly agree with you here and I can't wait to hear the new Intrada set!

Does Victory Celebration 1997 begin as source music? I mean, are we supposed to believe that this is Ewok music, being performed live while Nien Numb and Ackbar dance around the fire? Is the chorus on the album version intended to be Ewoks? Because they don't fucking sound like that.

What's Williams' return/exchange policy on this Star Wars music? I'd like to exchange Victory Celebration for Ewok Celebration and just return Padme's Ruminations.

And I hate the way the celebration on Endor was completely re-edited in the SE. This is a change that people tend to overlook because it isn't quite as in-ya-face as Greedo shooting first. But it's infuriating because it feels like everything is cut a lot quicker, disallowing you from absorbing the imagery you're watching.

I wonder if George Lucas watched all of this in 1983 and thought "this is terrible, none of it works - when the technology is better, I'll re-edit it right and make the music different".

Even the new Disney movies are conforming to the tone of the prequels by using that red ROTS era SW logo on its merchandise. Disney must be legally contracted to prioritise the prequels.

Wow you must have been possessed by the old Goldsmith himself to write such a lengthy piece.

I think he would have made a cut after first paragraph! But thanks, i usually write what comes to my mind after listening - sometimes it's very expansive, sometimes just a sentence. This is one of those scores i too often saw dismissed as 'also ran' and it's too good for that.

CONGO is really small potatoes, comparably. It was a quickie written in a few weeks under less-than ideal conditions (they re-edited the movie up to the last minute), it lacks concept and has hardly any through-composed sequences. But you know, in the end none of these big adventure movies ever had a bad Goldsmith score. It was just his forte.

Congo is the more accessible of the two and has the excellent Lebo M contribution, that theme and vocal are way too good to dismiss.

The film is also more light-weight, so Jerry wrote an appropriate score.

Maybe, though i don't consider cues like BAIL OUT or KAHEGA lighter in tone. What it is, however, is totally different from GHOST.

Well there was the added footage that needed musical coverage so that explains it in part.

Footage that must be horribly confusing for people who haven't seen the prequels, too. Even if they're not actually against the prequels and are just watching the films in release order (the only way to preserve Vader's revelation in ESB). And of course, they also can only guess who that young ghost guy is that appears next to Yoda and Obi-Wan...

The Phantom Menace

Attack of the Clones

Revenge of the Sith

Star Wars (1977) - John Williams

Wrong order!

I already listened to SW through ROTJ before that, I am just looping back now.

Actually, I have heard that George was never really happy with it.

Well there was the added footage that needed musical coverage so that explains it in part.

Footage that must be horribly confusing for people who haven't seen the prequels, too. Even if they're not actually against the prequels and are just watching the films in release order (the only way to preserve Vader's revelation in ESB). And of course, they also can only guess who that young ghost guy is that appears next to Yoda and Obi-Wan...

Um, the 1997 special edition (for which the piece was written) did not have Hayden....

They were not thinking of OCD fans when they put that together were they?!!!

They were probably thinking of getting it done before the deadline.

Wow you must have been possessed by the old Goldsmith himself to write such a lengthy piece.

I think he would have made a cut after first paragraph! But thanks, i usually write what comes to my mind after listening - sometimes it's very expansive, sometimes just a sentence. This is one of those scores i too often saw dismissed as 'also ran' and it's too good for that.

That was a fine review, Pub. Between that and Mission to Mars, you're coming up with some fabulous figurative compositions. The beer-drinking couch potato was one of the best metaphorical images I've seen in quite a while. :thumbup:

It also has me getting even antsier for the new GATD release. . . !

Wall-E - Thomas Newman

It brings back warm memories of the film, with Newman nicely channeling his patented harmonious sound with his more quirky instrumentation filtering through at the right moments. It's quite a relaxing and heartwarming listen.

A verifiable pre-1997 quote attributed to Lucas admitting that he wasn't happy with the Ewok Celebration music would be helpful.

I heard it was mentioned in Rinzler's book.

I remember reading in the book that Lucas and Marquand were somewhat unsatisfied with Lapti Nek, and that the victory celebration music went through various iterations, but I don't remember reading that Lucas was dissatisfied with Yub Nub

A verifiable pre-1997 quote attributed to Lucas admitting that he wasn't happy with the Ewok Celebration music would be helpful.

I heard it was mentioned in Rinzler's book.

They mention that Sy Snootles song from Jabba's palace didn't come out as planned and nobody was really happy with it (apprarently they were thinking of hiring Toto to do this song). And Lucas also says that the celebration music evolved through many variations. They started from gospel/rock-n-roll and ended up being something more primitive.

And they also mention that Williams at one point visited film mixing sessions and he would direct the crew through some of the more troubling spots in the soundtracks - what should be loud and what shouldn't. They say he literally stood between the console and screen and conducted sessions.

Karol

Turbulence - Shirley Walker

I still enjoy this. Her style really shines, especially in the brass layering and melodic style of Teri's theme -- some of the cues would be right at home in "Batman" or "Superman: The Animated Series." The electronic sections give away the score's age though, but that's a small quibble. She really knew her way around the orchestra and giving each section a chance to shine.

I can't really pin any standout cues, the LLL album is a great listen from start to finish.