What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Far From Heaven by Elmer Bernstein

Philadelphia by Howard Shore

The Betrayal (Nerakhoon) by Howard Shore

Philadelphia is a relatively small scale intimate score with a few notable cues but this score mostly supports the drama very gently. I was very much in the mood for it on this misty evening.

The Betrayal is a superb small scale work for a chamber sized orchestra, small choir, soloists and solo cello. Really beautiful pensive and lyrical writing from Shore on this one. Highly recommended.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 - John Powell

I love this one.

Absolutely agreed! Puts a silly grin on my face every time I listen to it because it has such dazzling joie de vivre to it.

Philadelphia is a relatively small scale intimate score with a few notable cues but this score mostly supports the drama very gently. I was very much in the mood for it on this misty evening.

The Betrayal is a superb small scale work for a chamber sized orchestra, small choir, soloists and solo cello. Really beautiful pensive and lyrical writing from Shore on this one. Highly recommended.

That sounds lovely. Will check it out. :)

Oh it's on Spotify.

Karol

It is no surprise it sounds Shore through and through and has some shades of his other works but on the whole the actual score album is a great listening experience.

How To Train Your Dragon 2 - John Powell

I love this one.

Absolutely agreed! Puts a silly grin on my face every time I listen to it because it has such dazzling joie de vivre to it.

I listen to it on a loop.

The Ghost and The Darkness by Jerry Goldsmith. Most impressive. You can almost forgive half-arsed (in my opinion) First Contact if it took additional effort to complete this beauty. Nice to hear Spock making an appearance.

Karol

Not the most attention-grabbing Williams, but disc 2 is worth listening to.

And the gospel songs show another side of the maestro.

"Look Down, Lord" is stunning!

I would feel personally offended if TGP didn't know REVOLUTION.

I'm only asking, dude Twisting knickers not required.

Altered States & Music From The Edge - John Corigliano

Excellent choices, both. Have you heard "Revolution", and "Fire Paper Stone"?

He knows his Corigliano like a back of his hand. Trust me.

All his film scores are excellent, by the way.

Karol

Altered States & Music From The Edge - John Corigliano

Excellent choices, both. Have you heard "Revolution", and "Fire Paper Stone"?

I'm not sure what the second is. Do you mean Goldenthal's Fire Water Paper?

I might be wrong here. But I think he even met Corigliano in person.

Karol

TGP studied under him for a bit I believe.

Prometheus - Marc Streitenfeld & Harry Gregson-Williams

There's a lot to like here.

Even the Streitenfeld?

Yeah a lot of the reversed orchestral stuff is pretty interesting. I'd like to see the score.

MouseHunt (Silvestri) - Hehehehehehe bassoooooooons. The main theme is great, it's orchestrated expertly, and manages to be quite enjoyable despite the mickey-mousing, rather like Home Alone. All the material presented is excellent; I just wish the individual tracks were longer: the album jumps around too much.

Haven't heard this in a while. Considering his lows in Hollywood, he should have stayed a foot in this.

Prometheus - Marc Streitenfeld & Harry Gregson-Williams

There's a lot to like here.

It's not a great score but i found it baffling how much bad reaction this one got. Maybe because of the movie. It has a nice sense of dread and inevitable fateful forward motion but sadly it never comes to anything in the end.

Nice Eidelman:

The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes (Tadlow re-recording) by Miklós Rózsa: Both tremendously lyrical and playful this score is a fun frolicking symphonic work. The composer adapts his own violin concerto for parts of the score, e.g. deriving the sumptuous love theme from it, but Rózsa also provides us with an original jaunty main theme that bounces along with delightful aplomp. The film is constructed of several separate episodes, each detailing a new case, and this affords the composer a chance to treat each with its own set of moods and motifs although everything is bound together by the main theme and the love themes seems never to be far away. Never anything but brazenly dramatic the score receives a deft and classy re-recording from Tadlow and features masterful and nuanced violin solos from Lucie Svehlova and the writing translates into a truly enjoyable album. The producer Fitzpatrick provides not only the complete score for the film, over an hour's worth of great music, but also includes several alternates for one particular sequence, Castles of Scotland (a travelling montage), which the director Wilder had trouble deciding the musical approach for. It both illustrates the trials and tribulations of film productions and film composers but also affords a chance to hear more of Rózsa's wonderful music. Highly recommended.

Conan the Barbarian (Tadlow re-recording) by Basil Poledouris: This is actually the presentation that made me truly a fan of this score. A true treat from start to finish and while the Intrada release of the complete original recording might be more comprehensive, this is a fine interpretation of this wonderful work with the added virtue of modern recording techniques and a more resounding performance which breathes new life into the already impressive music and brings out new details (sometimes actual orchestrational differences compared to the original Rome recordings). This is the composer's magnum opus and every film music fan should have a version of this score in their shelves.

3188.jpg

SEA DOGS - YURY POTEYENKO

Grand and epic orchestral scoring for a video game, the way it used to be for films. This is not to be missed. Just listen to this cue:

There is a nice near Rózsa-esque feel to that piece but with a more modern twist. :)

Mars Needs Moms by John Powell

The Imaginarium of Doctor Parnassus by Jeff and Mychael Danna

Legend by Jerry Goldsmith

Karol

Found pub's G spot! ;)

Yeah, I like it too. But, for whatever reason, not many people are fond of it. Too eclectic?

Karol

Found pub's G spot! ;)

Yeah, I like it too. But, for whatever reason, not many people are fond of it. Too eclectic?

Karol

I haven't heard that Danna score. Need to check it out ASAP: