What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Been listening to the new Intrada release of David Shire's Return to Oz.

5385156030_e12bafd272_z.jpg

I must confess that it's unlike any other film score I've heard before. It felt like a cross between Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, and some Ives thrown in there (e.g. Ruined House).

Honestly, I didn't know what to make of it by itself. It sounded like I was listening to a Hallmark movie, or even something leftover from a forgotten 70s Disney movie (which is interesting considering that Disney produced this movie).
So I tried watching the film. Aside from the occasional nightmare fuel (stop-motion animated talking walls, anyone?), the music felt more ancillary to the film as it didn't seem to fully utilize all the dramatic potential it was capable of; i.e. it came off more as quasi cartoon music for a dramatic live-action film. But I did like the use of orchestration in certain motifs (e.g. Tik Tok, Hall of Heads) and it's general conforming to the overall visual landscape of the film.

But that's just my take on it.

Honestly, I didn't know what to make of it by itself. It sounded like I was listening to a Hallmark movie,

He did score some of those

Honestly, I didn't know what to make of it by itself. It sounded like I was listening to a Hallmark movie,

He did score some of those

Well, how about that?

Tomorrowland by Michael Giacchino

My God, I can't think of a score off the top of my head that's milked a chord progression as much as Giacchino did with the whole Dmaj-Bbmaj thing. A nice-enough progression for sure (though a Hollywood cliche), but he just keeps playing on that over and over again. I think that's why Giacchino's themes always feel so neutered, because they're written around this boring series of chords Giacchino has stored in his bag of tricks.

Overall, it's a pretty monotonous score, that often borders on some lame writing, especially on the brass side when it tries to be all big and sweeping. Where the score succeeds however is when it channels his more breezy/quirky/Pixar-style writing. I wish the whole thing was more out there like that, because he just can't pull off a sense of awe very convincingly.

Best cue is "Sphere and Loathing", which has the most harmonically interesting bits in it. There are some other nice highlights, but

Jupiter Ascending is definitely the stronger score.

Far From Men by Nick Cave and Warren Ellis

I don't expect anyone to understand my connection to this music, but it bleeds beyond onto a whole other plane of music for me. I needed this score right now in my life, and I'm only on my second listen. Got drunk and wrote a review, for those that are interested. Literally two of my favorite composers working today.

Lust Caution by Alexandre Desplat: This is still among my favourite Desplat scores and the composer really shows how to do modern stylish, elegant film noirish drama right. Subtle, intelligent but always musical and melodic the score weaves a quiet spell upon the listener and draws him in a web of suspense and quiet but powerful tragic romance. The sad romantic main theme is slowly introduced throughout the score (beginning with Falling Rain) and is finally fully realized in the Wong Chia Chi's theme at the end where Desplat seems to cleverly combine various thematic elements into a final meditation, the theme bittersweet but oh so gorgeous here. Other suspense motifs and an almost obligatory Desplat waltz (Dinner Waltz) complement the soundscape of elegance and refinement with few more threatening musical setpieces darkening the mood momentarily at suitable intervals for variety. This is a score that might not make an immediate impact but slowly and surely has climbed over many other efforts from this prolific composer because of its ability to evoke a singular mood and also because I think it contains one his most genuinely touching themes.

Yeah, it's a good one. Nice balance between several (film) genres but very subtle at that. One of his better drama scores.

Karol

:music: Judge Dredd (Intrada). I like the film presentation more than the OST. Feels less relentless and monolithic. The material finally gets a chance to breathe and be developed. The latter is helped by the presence of soft and dark underscore, in which the (previously elusive) main theme becomes more prominent. Interesting that the majority of 1995 presentation (save for one track) is actually compiled out of unused alternates (funny how asterisks mark "previously released").

Ignoring the trailer thingy controversy, I can now see and appreciate why so many people like this score.

Karol

Well, I will. Did they say how you're supposed to do it? Send the disc back or what? Or just drop them an e-mail? I don't think they mentioned anything yet...

Did you buy this, by the way?

Karol

Michael Giacchino - Tomorrowland

Love it!

Masamichi Amano - Super Atragon (Shin Katei Gunkan)

:rock: This was incredible! I must thank DreamTheater for recommending it to me! What a powerhouse score!!!! :rock:

Danny Elfman - The Avengers: Age of Ultron

I still haven't listened to any of Tyler's tracks for this score! But I love all the Elfman tracks on the OST! Like, really enjoy! The main theme is really awesome!

Danny Elfman - The Avengers: Age of Ultron

I still haven't listened to any of Tyler's tracks for this score! But I love all the Elfman tracks on the OST! Like, really enjoy! The main theme is really awesome!

The Elfman score really makes for a very enjoyable half hour listen.

Yup. I only listen to the Elfman stuff now too. Makes for a good album presentation.

I think he arranged those tracks like this on purpose so that you can listen to them in isolation like this.

The only track from Tyler that really stood out for me while watching film (not counting some hints of Iron Man theme here and there), was this one cue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d3f-27kk9wU

Well, that and Hulk/Widow love theme.

Karol

Yes! That is a fine track indeed. A welcome relief from all that pounding on the Tyler side.

Has some nice textural things in there.

I don't recall the Hulk/Widow love theme though. The only theme I remember from Tyler's side is the generic line for Ultron.

You should get the Neil S. Bulk fixed version!

The Bulkfix release!

Well, I will. Did they say how you're supposed to do it? Send the disc back or what? Or just drop them an e-mail? I don't think they mentioned anything yet...

I expect they'll post details when the replacements are ready. Usually you just drop them an email.

I wonder if SAE are going to send me the faulty version or wait for the Bulkfix to arrive.

7623.jpg

This may get a couple of facepalms on this board... but I like this. A lot.

It's not great music, I admit, but it's a great textural, sound design kind of score, and it doesn't feel shame for the fact it's totally uninspired in the thematic department.

Why do I like it so much, you ask in disbelief? There's a relentless rhythmic drive in this one, and it grows in intensity with every cue. And that seems to be enough for little old me.

I like parts of it, especially the Bane material. But as a whole, it just doesn't do it for me.

I'm not going to argue over the artistic quality of enjoyment factor. That would be going nowhere.

But, surely, it's quite obvious who did what on AOU. Some similarities are there but they are mostly superficial. The two are nothing alike from a compositional point of view. I mean, come on. Unless you know something I don't.

Having said that, both gentlemen ultimately wasted their time on this one. It's so badly put together in the film that is sounds exactly like... nothing. Hope paycheks were decent at least.

Karol

I like parts of it, especially the Bane material. But as a whole, it just doesn't do it for me.

It's far too much of a rehash. With some new things soldered in for Catwoman and Bane.

Zimmer is good when he seems genuinely invested and interested in a project. But this just feels like a patchwork.

Not quite as offensive as POTC 4, but pretty pointless.

I'm not going to argue over the artistic quality of enjoyment factor. That would be going nowhere.

But, surely, it's quite obvious who did what on AOU. Some similarities are there but they are mostly superficial. The two are nothing alike from a compositional point of view. I mean, come on. Unless you know something I don't.

Having said that, both gentlemen ultimately wasted their time on this one. It's so badly put together in the film that is sounds exactly like... nothing. Hope paycheks were decent at least.

Karol

They were fat, probably. For me the total musical blandness correlates perfectly to what you see on-screen: harebrained spectacle with only a vague notion that actual human beings had a hand in creating it. I think it's awfully hard for a composer - even for a modest talent like Brian Tyler - to come up with something beyond this robotic noise because there is just nothing there.

TDKR is marginally better - translate: it has some moments that stand out - but you have to wade through a lot of mud in between (again for a phony, overblown movie i detested). We will see a gradual shift from this hyperbolic kind of carnival hucksterism in the next few years and i'm positive that there will be new 'huge' movies that will make people go 'wait, why did we suffer through these dark times?'. Then we might finally get some really good new blockbuster scores (and not just sentimental favourites like new SW Williams'ses).

Yes, that was pretty much my biggest issue with it. And I never liked its predecessors much anyway. Even the Catwoman theme is a rehash of stuff he's done before.

Elfman's Avengers 2 cues don't really sound like Tyler's (at least not from what I heard in the movie and the early samples). I don't know why anybody would say they sound the same.

What irked me most about it is what he said in interviews. "My whole career has been leading up to this..etc etc"

Phony pretentious shite!

That's basically every Zimmer interview for just about every big film he does these days. Eventually you learn to tune out all the bullshit.