What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Wait, how can you not enjoy that album?

If you don't like the action cues, do you at least like the "Swimming" track?

There might have been some wondrous tracks in there but never actually finished the album. Always thought JNH did better with Atlantis (which is better). I generally like his Shyamalan works, some bits and pieces of King Kong (read: not action music) and Snow Falling on Cedars. That type of stuff.

Karol

When he started to sound more like Zimmer?

Typical...

Howard's contemporary action material is no where near Zimmer's level. He didn't even team up with him until 2005. 1999-2010 are his golden years; and his use of electronics and rhythm are very unique to his own style. He's never sounded like Zimmer to me. Closest would be Blood Diamond.

Tomorrowland - Michael Giacchino

This time in the film itself. The film itself did not make me like the music more. However, if you excise two prominent ideas (a boring I-bVI thing and a boring i-V thing), it's a nice colorful score. The most redeeming parts are the neat electronics/non-acoustic instruments and one theme that earnestly channels some sort of weird Mancini/50s sci-fi vibe. It's a bit like what the John Carter theme wanted to be. And also proof that simple, two-chord harmonies are totally fine as long as you put something interesting over it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPmNqQn6P6Q

Listened through some of Giacchino's TOMORROWLAND on YT. I can c/v the same verdict on all of the guy's recent work: all perfectly competent for breezy Hollywood summer fare, utilizes huge orchestras (enough for today's film music fans to spread warm accolades), has all the right gestures to remind us of our holy tryptichon of Williams/Horner/Goldsmith and yet, it always feels like a temp-track robot or better yet, like 12-year old reciting Emily Dickinson love poems with lots of conviction - only without ever understanding the meaning of it all.

Maybe i'm too harsh but for stuff like this i would abandon the hobby altogether. There is so much more exciting and touching music beyond current film music, at least of this ilk. I'd rather listen 50 times to Horner's fussy double concerto than this. Which reminds me to put on Wintory's JOURNEY score: here's a recent composition that's full of personality and ideas, maybe not shaking the music world but i can listen to without my mind wandering around after 30 seconds on to better things.

Don't know about the New's, but his stuff has personality and doesn't fall back on second-hand imitations and musical timesavers like some of his more famous Hollywood colleagues.

This time in the film itself. The film itself did not make me like the music more. However, if you excise two prominent ideas (a boring I-bVI thing and a boring i-V thing), it's a nice colorful score. The most redeeming parts are the neat electronics/non-acoustic instruments and one theme that earnestly channels some sort of weird Mancini/50s sci-fi vibe. It's a bit like what the John Carter theme wanted to be. And also proof that simple, two-chord harmonies are totally fine as long as you put something interesting over it.

It's one of those ideas the Cocoon chords?

Karol

I like that progression actually. Just can't stand it when certain composers rely far too heavily on it, repeating it ad nauseum or writing "melodies" around the chords. Case in point, Tomorrowland.

The Wolfman by Danny Elfman

The Ghost and the Darkness by Jerry Goldsmith

Wait, how can you not enjoy that album?

If you don't like the action cues, do you at least like the "Swimming" track?

Waterworld was probably my first JNH score. It has its moments, but overall I find it drags on and on without much interesting going on. Endless ostinatos alone don't give you a lot of substance. Mostly it's just boring.

But then, I've never understood all the raving about The Fugitive, either. It's a competent score, it's spot on for the film, but as a standalone listen on CD it really doesn't seem to have much going for itself.

1460.jpg

Suffers from being unfocused and a bit bland during its first half, but comes into its own during the second.

From track 8 on it essentially starts to get like a good Horner album.

It's like he said to his director: I'll start off a bit slow and write about 30 minutes of boring music and I'll start strutting my stuff after that, but I will keep some references to my work so people will recognize my style.

Had the whole album been James strutting his stuff Spiderwick Chronicles would've been a true classic. Now it falls a bit short.

Karol

The one I like, you mean? The one that starts this cue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttzjmwR_0ok

The ones I don't like: the one featured in the first track - the same progression that underpins the above theme, but in this case it supports a far blander melodic idea - and then the one in the second track.

2684.jpg

An early Goldsmith which is a masterfully thematic and exciting tour de force.

I've always loved the main theme, but I wasn't always a fan of the harsh sound, blame it on ancient recording techniques.

I only own the Intrada, and it's a great sounding presentation. Gotta love such a winning theme, and its development throughout the score.

The other thing that is really fantastic is a motif which drives the suspense in battle cues like The Attack and Retreat.

Stellar score, one of the few early Goldsmith's I really love.

Karol

The ones I don't like: the one featured in the first track - the same progression that underpins the above theme, but in this case it supports a far blander melodic idea - and then the one in the second track.

I can agree with you then. What do you think about the longer theme,though?

Karol

So essentially this is yet another bland and technically narrow score from a composer who has a long history of them and has in no way fulfilled on the promise that he might once have seem.

Is there any other reason that this composer is so widely discussed on this forum apart from the fact that Jason Leblanc is a fan?

If this was the new John Debney, or Harry Gregson Williams score no one would pay much attention to it.

Well, he works on stuff that's close to most JWFanners' hearts.

Nah, I think he's learning all the time, to be honest. And he does have a very strong dramatic sense. It's not as common as you might think.

Karol

The score for Ghost Protocol worked really well in the film.

That one also works really well on the CD, for the most part. The second half tends to get into by-the-numbers Giacchino underscore territory from time to time, but the first half is among his best. I still want *that* Giacchino to write a Bond score.

That one also works really well on the CD, for the most part. The second half tends to get into by-the-numbers Giacchino underscore territory from time to time, but the first half is among his best. I still want *that* Giacchino to write a Bond score.

The music for the Russia segment is excellent, the Dubai segment is okay, and the India segment is rubbish.

And Giacchino already wrote a Bond score... :)

Didn't he already sort of do that with the Incredibles?

Karol

I can agree with you then. What do you think about the longer theme,though?

Karol

Which do you mean?

Dragonslayer (Alex North)

I don't know about you but I don't think I've heard any score with this level of texture, orchestration, harmonic wealth etc, in the last 15 years or more.

Dragonslayer (Alex North)

I don't know about you but I don't think I've heard any score with this level of texture, orchestration, harmonic wealth etc, in the last 15 years or more.

It's great. But Cleopatra is better. North is just about unrivaled in my mind.