What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

14 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

I'm not telling...

Just think twice before rubbing her left eye, is all I'll say then...or don't. :devil:

14 minutes ago, Falafel said:

Barnstorming is one of my absolute favorite individual pieces of music, ever.

20 minutes ago, Falafel said:

Fantastic! Keep those reloads coming. Faaaantastic!

@Falafel, listen to the music with the film (bit where the UFOs take "photographs"). Hear how the engines almost copy the basses. Glorious.

Saving Private Ryan by John Williams

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Special Edition) by Howard Shore

22 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Far from Home: Adventures of Yellow Dog by John Scott

Awemehgawd I'd forgotten that movie existed. I remember mum and I laughing at the trailer at the time because we'd already known of a "Yellow Dog" through the movie Funny Farm.

1 minute ago, kaseykockroach said:

I dig it! I love King Kong Lives, and this is my first time hearing anything else by the guy.

Also try out Shoot to Kill. It's like one of those Goldsmith thrillers that weren't by Goldsmith.

I've just been making due with my meager collection as of late, going thought just about all of the scores I actually own.

Some highlights:

Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom is phenomenal. Some of Gia's best work and perhaps my favorite of his since Spider-Man Homecoming.

Solo: A Star Wars Story remains a hit. Listening to @Manakin Skywalker clips on YouTube makes me excited for a a potential FYC.

The Last Jedi, a chronological edit, is superb. While Williams uses more old material, he manipulates older themes and takes advantage of opportunities for emotional callbacks musically, fitting the screen seemlessly. Holdo's theme is so powerful and awesome, Rose's theme has a nice glide to it, and a slew of Resistance fanfares plus Luke's exile theme round things off.

First proper listen of Solo yesterday. To me, Williamsesque if not a score that he would have approved of. The use of 'classic' themes seemed more natural than Rogue One. Reminiscing Therapy wove the themes in brilliantly (though the opening Death Star Theme took me by surprise, I haven't seen the film since the cinema.) I guess in Powell's context it's not the Death Star Theme but rather the-then Imperial theme (pre-Episode IV). 

But then onto Patriot Games by Horner. I have the original release but what with re-reading the book for the first time in ages and rewatching the film consequently, gave it a few listens. Was faintly nonplussed. It's okay, it's nothing earth-shattering -to my untuned ear, somewhere between his 48hrs/Red Heat scores and the Apollo 13. The early part of Boat Chase -as indeed the odd part elsewhere (The Hit and Attempt on the Royals) that has this ethereal, offworld kind of feel to it. Though Attempt on the Royals feels typical Horner (alongside such tracks as Surprise Attack from Star Trek II and The Ambush from Clear and Present Danger) of building up the tension, hitting us with the 'excitement'/action and then the climb down. 

3 minutes ago, Strangways said:

First proper listen of Solo yesterday. To me, Williamsesque if not a score that he would have approved of. The use of 'classic' themes seemed more natural than Rogue One. Reminiscing Therapy wove the themes in brilliantly (though the opening Death Star Theme took me by surprise, I haven't seen the film since the cinema.) I guess in Powell's context it's not the Death Star Theme but rather the-then Imperial theme (pre-Episode IV). 

Yes, it's interesting with themes and their typical associations. I suppose that is the idea with themes, but if you recall even Williams doesn't always use the theme that makes sense but rather the one he feels has more of an appropriate idea for the scene. For example, Ben's Death in the original SW is not accompanied by a sweeping Force theme, but rather Princess Leia's theme, whose melodic structure in that sense is capable of portraying and evoking a much more sorrowful reprise than the theme associated with the actual character whose life has been lost. 

On on the note of the Imperial fanfare, it has been used to accompany a Star Destroyer before, but again is more commonly referred to as the Death Star motif. As a callback in Solo, it makes a lot more sense than any other Imperial theme or motif, two of which were already used brilliantly in Mimban Battle Part I (Vader's theme, see @Manakin Skywalker's YouTube- Film Score Media) and the Imperial Stormtrooper Motif in the OST track Train Heist. While Powell could have resorted to his own material, the whole idea of the track is heavily reliant on callbacks to the originals, as is the scene in the film. The Attacking a Star Destroyer and Imperial Cruiser Pursuit references are nice touches on Powell's part, fanfare which is beloved but wasn't yet repeated in any of the other scores in the franchise. Here They Come! and The Asteroid Field are more obvious musical references, however even with those Powell conjures them up like never before. His use of his own themes (as well as the Williams themes for Solo) are excellently executed (namely in Reminiscence Therapy are Chewie's theme and L3's theme). 

The callbacks in Rogue One are much more rudimentary, failing to expand on the ideas already existing. I believe Giacchino uses the Death Star motif, slights the Stormtrooper motif, and quite easily quotes the Imperial March like any sane person with context to the film would. Other nuances include the Rebel fanfare and Luke's theme, but they are not really delved into all that much. Giacchino's score is quite lackluster in that sense, but his action writing in Rogue One is my personal favorite. 

In conclusion, I find it telling and interesting to hear the musical decisions of composers for certain scenes, especially in cases where we  expect otherwise. 

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: All The King's Men by Jimmy Horner. A rather overlooked and underappreciated work from his final decade. 

Karol

A great score. One of my favourite 2000's Horner works. And the album is a perfect listening experience. It just oozes melancholy, fateful melodrama.

Solo: A Star Wars Story by John Powell (and Johnny Williams): Pretty nifty, this one. High octane Star Wars heist movie score. Less beholden to Williams' work than Giacchino's Rogue One and I think better for it. Powell's own voice is never drowned out by need for SW pastiche.

8 hours ago, Strangways said:

First proper listen of Solo yesterday. To me, Williamsesque if not a score that he would have approved of.

Actually Williams very much encouraged Powell to strike out on his own and in his own style with Solo. And Powell said he would not have taken the job if Williams' hadn't been involved and provided the film with the new Han theme.

The Accidental Tourist by John Williams: Another Williams score that has that indelible wistful autumn mood to it. Just lovely.

3 minutes ago, Incanus said:

The Accidental Tourist by John Williams: Another Williams score that has that indelible wistful autumn mood to it. Just lovely.

It reminds me too much of Sundays.

Just now, Richard said:

Absolutely no argument here, Inky. It currently resides at #7 in my all time top 10 JW scores.

What's your favorite, Richard?

6 minutes ago, Richard said:

CLOSE ENCOUNTERS OF THE THIRD KIND.

In 1977, it took me one listen of the Arista OST, to realise that JW would never compose a better score.

I am yet to be proven wrong.

With the OST presentation being as sloppy as it was, that really says something about the high quality of the score.

5 minutes ago, Holko said:

Will anyone else? :P 

Surely Hans Zimmer.

8 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

With the OST presentation being as sloppy as it was, that really says something about the high quality of the score.

The Arista album is one of my absolute favorite albums. Such a powerful distillation of a profound work.

The Score by Howard Shore: Jazzy Howard Shore ain't bad, ain't bad at all.

10 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

I don't have a list, but if I had, JP would most days be at the top. Where's that on your list, Richard? 

Although I like JP, I'm afraid that it would get nowhere my favourite scores.

I have eight JW scores that I consider "special", and these are my favourites, but it doesn't mean that I dislike JP-far from it. Like most JW scores, I like it...but it doesn't resonate, as these eight do.

7 minutes ago, Richard said:

Although I like JP, I'm afraid that it would get nowhere my favourite scores.

I have eight JW scores that I consider "special", and these are my favourites, but it doesn't mean that I dislike JP-far from it. Like most JW scores, I like it...but it doesn't resonate, as these eight do.

So which are the special eight, if you don't mind?

Let me guess... at the top we have Jaws 2 and Family Plot. ;)

Cutthroat Island by John Debney

:music: The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring Complete Recordings by Howard Shore

These beauties over the last 3 days:

20181003_091905.jpg

It's crazy to think early this year I was starting to get content with never ever owning these legally barring a future, "fixed", extended reissue. They're not necessarily 100% perfect, even physically - RotK is much wider than the other two, even though I tried its disc booklet into the thinner Fellowship box, and the lid closed prefectly; the RotK tray design takes the "worn book" look a bit too far and becomes irritatingly unbelievable; and my Two Towers spine is a bit longer than should be, making that end of the front cover stick out significantly instead of flushly sinking into the tray like the other two:

20181003_091935.jpg

Fellowship is a masterpiece of relatively small-scale linear adventure scoring with nuggets of major events and players in the background.

Two Towers greatly elaborates and complicates it as well as introducing and developing fantastic new material. Its only detractor is being sandwiched between two giants.

Return of the King is a masterpiece of fantasy epics, bringing everything from the previous two into fruition and full circle in a satisfying way, paying off every setup, and still having some great new material.

The Sisters Brothers

Desplat's most recent is a wholly percussive, textural affair, running on a relentless piano ostinato. Led by guitar, bass, piano and synthesizers, it's going for an almost jazzy demeanor: the tricky, inventive orchestration creates a rather unique mood that will become no fan favourite ('Theme from..' lovers move on) but it's among this year's more distinctive outings.

1 minute ago, Incanus said:

Monsignor by John Williams

Excellent choice for October!

Will listen to Lincoln too.