What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Indeed.

Monsignor is also one of those Williams albums that feel more like a concept album than a film score. A great listening experience, Gloria and all.

8 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Shucks, man, haven't listened to that in almost a decade. 

You should! ASAP!

Amistad by John Williams

Seven Years In Tibet by John Williams

Nixon by John Williams

Sleepers by John Williams

JFK by John Williams

Anyone else think that the 90s was probably Williams' best decade?

18 minutes ago, KK said:

Amistad by John Williams

Nixon by John Williams

JFK by John Williams

Sleepers, another excellent choice for October month! ;)

21 minutes ago, KK said:

Amistad by John Williams

Nixon by John Williams

JFK by John Williams

2000's, if just for the first five years. The 90's was the last time he was a tried and true film composer, though.

I think it was with that decade, that he really reached beyond the conventions of his neo-Romantic roots and tapped into a language that was inherently his own. I also think it's where he maximized his potential as a musical dramatist.

2000-'05 was naturally a fruitful time for him, but the 90s were his most active years exploring musically, both in technique and in genre/style (just look how diverse a spectrum his 90s output creates).

It was a time where he had a real edge to his sound, and you could hear a creative appetite in his work. This was a Williams that was hungry for more. Growing up a fan then, you probably wouldn't have known what to expect with each assignment.

My favorite is the very first Williams score right down to the most recent. I can't pick a time frame. I love just about all of them across the board.

John Powell - Solo (OST)

Nice enough, OST feels oddly arranged to me, I hope there is a session leak or even better a proper commerical 2CD set!

Alan Silvestri - Predator 2 (Varese DE)

One of my favorite 90s action scores!

Yasunori Mitsuda - Chrono Chross

My first time listening to this.  As a HUUUUUUUGE fan of Chrono Trigger's score, this had a lot to live up to.  And......... nah, it doesn't come close.  All the best parts are just re-worked bits from Radical Dreamers.  A disappointment.

John Williams - E.T. The Extra-Terrestrial (C&C playlist made from La La Land Records 2CD set)

Great, great stuff.

Brian Tyler - Now You See Me

Ah, super fun.

1 hour ago, KK said:

I think it was with that decade, that he really reached beyond the conventions of his neo-Romantic roots and tapped into a language that was inherently his own. I also think it's where he maximized his potential as a musical dramatist.

2000-'05 was naturally a fruitful time for him, but the 90s were his most active years exploring musically, both in technique and in genre/style (just look how diverse a spectrum his 90s output creates).

It was a time where he had a real edge to his sound, and you could hear a creative appetite in his work. This was a Williams that was hungry for more. Growing up a fan then, you probably wouldn't have known what to expect with each assignment.

I can definitely agree with that, although I feel like you can extend your sentiments up to the period I mentioned, as well. 

10 hours ago, KK said:

Amistad by John Williams

Nixon by John Williams

JFK by John Williams

It was a great decade. Williams clearly sought very different fare during that time to score and the 90's yielded among others those great scores you list. A good balance between the blockbusters and smaller films.

Jaws (Intrada release) by John Williams: 1970's wasn't a bad decade for Johnny either.

Far and Away by John Williams

Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade by John Williams

Ben-Hur (Tadlow rerecording, first listen to this edition)

It's Heston's birthday, huh? I should've polished Dad's gun while listening to this to complete the tribute.

This recording is fantastic for the most part, good for the rest. Some cues, like the original Entr'acte (one of my dearest bits of music ever) is a bit iffy with the tempo and instrument sync slipping around, and also a bit too bright. I definitely don't feel bad for getting it, though, it's great.

So why is this score a masterpiece? Kickass unique marches, fanfares and other source cues are good to inject nuggets of life into the score. A centerpiece march incorporating both the hero and villain themes, the latter in a unique major variant is a fine addition. Well-defined soundscapes for the two main locations/factions (more square, rigid and militaristic for Rome, flowing and passionate for Judea) are a great base to build upon. A 20-minute setpiece with unique motifs building and building also buffs the overall cool factor. A swirling, passionate love theme is always a major boost. But what makes it all come together and be great is the heart of the score peeking its head out at key moments to balance all the angst, impulsiveness, tragedy and suffering of Judah as well as the pomp and circumstance of Rome - the Christ and Balthasar themes. The former, a regal motif, can both be a powerfully assuring fanfare (Prelude, Finale, that kickass transition from Prine of Peace to Roman Galley) and a soft, calming presence, both metaphorically and once literally an oasis in the desert. The latter is sweet, embracing and inviting. They both elevate the score to completely new levels whenever they appear.

Also, on the whole, considering it's 59 years old and by a composer who defined this era, it's not nearly as horribly dated as one might think. Yes, there's the occasional Arrest, Leper stingers or battle bits, but most of the time it feels - well, not exactly fresh, but not dated.

The disc arrangement seems accidentally perfect (D1 builds to a climactic battle and victory parade, the hero gets condemned but comes out semi-victorious at the end; D2 begins with sources , has a clear middlepoint then builds toward the finale), until one learns it was approximately the orginal separation point between the two halves instead of between Sorrow and the circus setpiece. Anyhow, it works out well.

Yeah Rózsa's Ben-Hur is not hard to love. Quite the contrary.

I have to say I like both the original tracks and the new Tadlow re-recording almost equally. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

Interstellar, by Hans Zimmer 🎧

Anyone else think this may be Zimmer’s finest score? Such a richly textured, beautifully layered work, and one of my personal favorites of the 21th century so far. 

***** out of *****

1 hour ago, John said:

Anyone else think this may be Zimmer’s finest score? Such a richly textured, beautifully layered work, and one of my personal favorites of the 21th century so far. 

Nah, one of his better I guess - a top 10 Zimmer score, but there are far too big parts of the score that bore and/or grate me. Still, it has some fine moments.

Inception is his best probably - which was remarkably fresh at the time it came out and remains a interestingly obsessive maximum-minimal score. I also dig some of the ambience in it.

Now playing: Avatar - James Horner

Not really a fan of this, uninspired RCP-like ostinatos and annoying chanting - strikes me as bland "epicness", but I don't mind it too much. It at least has a few tracks that are pretty good. Like Titanic, I don't mind it much in context even if I am not a fan of it, it just feels like a big missed opportunity though.

Addendum:

East of Eden - Leonard Rosenman

Much, much better - in fact, one of the best film scores of all time. As Corigliano said, not even Copland could have written a better Americana theme.

1900 - Ennio Morricone

My favourite Morricone score of the 100-something I have heard, not only because of the fantastic main theme, but also because it contains one of the 10 best film music tracks of all time - Olmo E Alfredo.

How the melody is laid against accompaniment and what you can do with 2 notes. The string writing starting at around one minute into the track is amazing. It is my most favourite Morricone.

1 hour ago, Lewya said:

not even Copland could have written a better Americana theme.

I would take either of Copland's Steinbeck scores over Rosenman's, personally.  But that's not to besmirch Rosenman, those two scores are just the best film music Copland wrote.

Of Mice & Men in particular is kind of underrated.  One of the great orchestral scores I think.

Saving Private Ryan by John Williams

The Village by James Newton Howard

:music: Rambo III

Empire of the Sun (LLL set) by John Williams: While this score goes through numerous moods and styles one word I would consistently use to describe it is haunting. Unforgettably so. I love how deeply Williams delved into the subtext of the story through his music, the music seemingly emanating almost entirely from the perspective, experiences and inner world of Jim, the main protagonist of the film.

Yeah, and the takeaway is a culminative one in my mind rather than standout tracks I think. Much like Cleopatra which I also need to give another listen to soon.

Ditto, when I first listened I was just wowwed by the whole album, didn't note any particular tracks as being highlights or anything