What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I like everything about the score BUT Young's handling of Elfman's Spider-Man theme. It just doesn't glue well with his own material.

Karol

I for one always thought Elfman's contributions for the first two films were pretty forgettable. I never had even an inkling of desire to listen to them outside the films.

The "Birth Of Sandman" which a lot of people believe to be a highlight of the score was predictable and sounded like something right out of Young's Hellraiser.

That's because Raimi had temp tracked the scene with music from Hellraiser and could not let go of it so Young had to emulate his previous score quite closely. I remember Young specifically mentioning this in one interview.

They're all really good - but SM3 is definitely the best musical score of the series. I wish I could hear the ENTIRE recording sessions - (the unused MJ & Aunt May theme, all the rest of the unreleased music; etc), but still - I'm very proud to own a promo of his, and It remains one of my all time favorite musical scores ever written.

That's because Raimi had temp tracked the scene with music from Hellraiser and could not let go of it so Young had to emulate his previous score quite closely. I remember Young specifically mentioning this in one interview.

I think Young had to do that several times. He did it for his replacement "Runaway Train" cue and the reactor-related scenes in Spider-Man 2, not just the Birth of Sandman cue in SM-3. I still liked the Sandman cue, even though Young followed the temp-track. It was a beautiful scene.

The Lord of the Rings Special Collector's Edition: The Fellowship of the Ring: Complete Archival Edition - Howard Shore

its good, its very good.

So... you don't understand?

Incanus here is another 1$ or whatever currency you were talking about.

The Reivers, one of Williams's most colorful and ebullient scores, spans the distance between the ruggedly down-home and the swooningly romantic, with nary a dull moment in between.

The Reivers, one of Williams's most colorful and ebullient scores, spans the distance between the ruggedly down-home and the swooningly romantic, with nary a dull moment in between.

It certainly has the time and place well established but also captures the spirit of the story. I love how much life and positive youthful energy it exudes. This score should get a complete release if possible being from the period when Williams really started establishing himself in Hollywood. No wonder Spielberg was inspired by this. :)

robin hood - andy price

I actually hadn't heard much about price until a couple of days ago when a friend mentioned him. this wasn't too bad, actually. could someone recommend me some other stuff he's done?

:music: Danny Elfman - Mars Attacks! :music:

It's my first listen. It's much better than expected. In every review i read that it was boring.

I like everything about the score BUT Young's handling of Elfman's Spider-Man theme. It just doesn't glue well with his own material.

Karol

Actually, I think the uses of the Spider-Man theme are really chilling and in places more entertaining than Elfman's own. After all, if there is nothing else to get out of SM 3, you'll definitely get entertainment.

I for one always thought Elfman's contributions for the first two films were pretty forgettable. I never had even an inkling of desire to listen to them outside the films.

Wow.

For me, they are easily in the Top 10 of Elfman's best ever works. The first at least.

Doc Ock's eight note theme is awesome, so wonderfully fitting for an over the top comic book villain, and not so overly dramatic.

I miss these tongue in cheek themes that don't take themselves so serious in modern superhero films.

Wow.

For me, they are easily in the Top 10 of Elfman's best ever works. The first at least.

Doc Ock's eight note theme is awesome, so wonderfully fitting for an over the top comic book villain, and not so overly dramatic.

I miss these tongue in cheek themes that don't take themselves so serious in modern superhero films.

I guess I should check those Spidey scores again then. If I remember correctly those main themes were something I wasn't too impressed by the first time I heard the scores. Elfman is very hit and miss for me in general.

Bernstein conducts Stravsinsky: Rite of Spring and Firebird Suite:

I really enjoyed both of these works. You can hear a lot of what would influence later music, especially film music, in Rite of Spring. And as much as I hate to admit it, the clearest link is with Star Wars. There are at least two passages taken directly from the Rite. The Firebird Suite is great--I have the entire ballet and I must admit, I usually I don't listen to more than the last half of the work, so this suite will be a good way to save space on my iPod!

Poltergeist:

While I don't think I will ever love this score as much as many Goldsmith fans do, there are some really great moments. I can hear a lot of Star Trek TMP. And the use of Dies Irae is pretty cool.

It's one of my favorite Elfman scores!

Same! I have fond memories of ripping the DVD's iso to CD-R and wearing that out. :)

War Horse by John Williams: This is one score I have been regularly returning to this past spring. There is such profound beauty in this score mixed with heartbreaking poignancy and simply classic Williams touch that speaks equally to both heart and mind. In the film the music is often left to sing alone and support the scenes and images without dialogue and as a pure listening experience it speaks just as eloquently. It feels heartwarmingly familiar, Williams' long time fans recognizing his sound and stylistics but he shapes another new musical world of its own with his skills at melody, orchestration and emotionally honest writing.

War Horse by John Williams: This is one score I have been regularly returning to this past spring. There is such profound beauty in this score mixed with heartbreaking poignancy and simply classic Williams touch that speaks equally to both heart and mind. In the film the music is often left to sing alone and support the scenes and images without dialogue and as a pure listening experience it speaks just as eloquently. It feels heartwarmingly familiar, Williams' long time fans recognizing his sound and stylistics but he shapes another new musical world of its own with his skills at melody, orchestration and emotionally honest writing.

Williams ruthlessly manipulates his listeners with hokey, syrupy writing that is anything but honest!

Williams ruthlessly manipulates his listeners with hokey, syrupy writing that is anything but honest!

Oh Hlao-roo always the cynic. Obviously Williams should have left the entire film unscored so the honesty could come out in raw form and not manipulate our feelings and perceptions of what the film is. How dare they do that in films even in these enlightened days!

Oh Hlao-roo always the cynic. Obviously Williams should have left the entire film unscored so the honesty could come out in raw form and not manipulate our feelings and perceptions of what the film is. How dare they do that in films even in these enlightened days!

Indeed! Williams heavy-handedly telegraphs every sentiment, demonstrating zero respect for the intelligence of the audience.

Do you just write something normal and use the thesaurus to replace every word with the one that'll get you the most points in Scrabble, or do you talk that obtusely in real life?

The Witches of Eastwick

This is probably heresy, but Williams in mannered professional mode has never done much for me, at least in large doses (it's why I prefer the Anthology discs for the OT). But when he's having fun like he is here, it's hard to do better.

Do you just write something normal and use the thesaurus to replace every word with the one that'll get you the most points in Scrabble, or do you talk that obtusely in real life?

Thesaurus.com is my best friend subsists as my nonpareil ally!

robin hood - andy price

I actually hadn't heard much about price until a couple of days ago when a friend mentioned him. this wasn't too bad, actually. could someone recommend me some other stuff he's done?

He has just done a few documentaries here and there, and Law & Order UK version, but this wasn't released on CD. Robin Hood is his only work that is commercially available. And the score for season 2 is easily my favourite TV series score EVER, MAN! I mean, WOMAN! (but, unfortunately, it hasn't been released, and that pisses me off!). Season 1 also has a lot of great unreleased cues. If you liked the OST, you'll love the complete score!

thank you, boalie. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a release of the season 2 score then.

:music: Ratatouille

This

I think nonpareils are among the most boring candy ever made.

I actually like this candy

Fixed! ;)

And yes it is a really great listening experience on its own but Wintory also capturing the atmosphere of the game perfectly in his lyrically haunting music which is full of mysticism. As he said he wanted to avoid any specific ethnic setting his score borders on many yet the touches are subtle, a turn of phrase reminding me of Eastern musical scales here and another soon going into entirely another direction. It is like I guess the game is, a somewhat introspective experience.

robin hood - andy price

He has just done a few documentaries here and there, and Law & Order UK version, but this wasn't released on CD. Robin Hood is his only work that is commercially available. And the score for season 2 is easily my favourite TV series score EVER, MAN! I mean, WOMAN! (but, unfortunately, it hasn't been released, and that pisses me off!). Season 1 also has a lot of great unreleased cues. If you liked the OST, you'll love the complete score!

thank you, boalie. I'll keep my fingers crossed for a release of the season 2 score then.

Indeed, you should. Indeed, you should...

When did that series end? 2009? Do you think there is any chance for more music from the series soon? I would not mind but I don't get my hopes up.

I'm still waiting for the CD release, but I've played through the game 3 times so I can say it's probably one of the best scores of the year so far.

Don't you say that every time a new score comes out?

Hey man, if every score is better than the last one then that's totally possible.

When did that series end? 2009? Do you think there is any chance for more music from the series soon? I would not mind but I don't get my hopes up.

Hey, they've been releasing X-Files complete scores like 10 years after the series ended! So, stop crushing my hopes! Hope is all I have left! Take that away from me, and all I can do is commit suicide!

I'm still waiting for the CD release, but I've played through the game 3 times so I can say it's probably one of the best scores of the year so far.

Hey man, if every score is better than the last one then that's totally possible.

If that was the case, we could finally leave in peace and harmony...

Don't give up hope yet BloodBoalie! Someday someone somewhere will leak the recording sessions! Someday!

If that was the case, we could finally leave in peace and harmony...

I didn't say anything of the sort this year and most likely not last year. I don't listen to scores much anymore. Too busy with other music.

I don't listen to scores much anymore. Too busy with other music.

by the beard of zeus!

I don't know if I'll ever take a break from scores. of course I feel like listening to something else sometimes, but for how long? couple of hours, 1-2 days tops.

I'm starting to betray orchestral music... with medieval and ancient music, and anything that sounds prehistoric. I find today much more difficult to get into than the past, musically speaking, for some reason.