What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

I said I would rather not listen to any Indy at all than listen to the Temple and Crusade OSTs.

...and then you wrote this, which I assume refers to the OSTs:

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

Temple and Crusade don't have DCC releases and I wouldn't use them either - the goal was to get back to the way JW originally presented them.

OK, so you didn't like the OSTs. I think the programs are fine, although there's interesting music missing. Expanded releases with the complete scores + remastered OST would be nice!

Do you like the Raiders OST?

Temple I felt did a huge disservice to the mammoth, flowing score, being just a loose collection of random setpiece fragments out of their context much weaker than they should be, and for half of Crusade I was begging JW to introduce some of his usual edits to shorten this or that cue and insert something from this or that, too.

The Temple of Doom OST is way too short and skips tons if musical gems, whereas the expansions almost exclusively assembles the action cues from the score, which can get quite strenuous. The unreleased music is like the third stone - the whole score doesn't really work without it.

1 hour ago, Brundlefly said:

The Temple of Doom OST is way too short and skips tons if musical gems, whereas the expansions almost exclusively assembles the action cues from the score, which can get quite strenuous. The unreleased music is like the third stone - the whole score doesn't really work without it.

That might be what prevents me from enjoying it.

Karol

War Horse by John Williams (OST+FYC album edit): I love this one with its three clear musical acts, the opening bucolic and pastoral English/Celtic melodies and nature expressions, the mostly dark, steely and elegiac middle section for the war and the warm and soothing return of the themes of friendship and peace for the sweet homecoming finale.

Mad Max: Fury Road (Tom Holkenborg aka JunkieXL)

reminiscent of an early to mid 2000's Media Ventures score with everything maxed up to 11!

And that's good! I don't go for this sorta thing at all, but Fury Road is a cauldron of barely contained Fury.

Like the film, highly stylized, Holkenborg's furious percussion drives the highly processed RCP soundscape with unrelenting fury. This album is sound. Loudly performed or samples, loudly mixed and mastered. It works. 

The few more symphonic ideas are simple and straightforward, but quite effective due to careful spotting. The Valhalla/Witness theme would become dull had it been the films main theme. But in its few appearances it stands out.

Outstanding!

42 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Mad Max: Fury Road (Tom Holkenborg aka JunkieXL)

It's a good score. It manages to steadily build tension and intensity over several minutes in its action cues, and that still works on CD, too.

:music: Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Probably one of the best James Newton Howard scores. A lot of it sounds like a better executed Waterworld. And while the existing album is fine I would welcome the expansion with open arms.

Earlier listened to superb re-recordings of the (only) two excellent scores Bernard Herrmann wrote for Francois Truffaut: The Bride Wore Black and Fahrenheit 451. They are actually quite different from each other - one is harsh and dry the other full of wonder and warm glow. Both quite delicious.

Karol

10 hours ago, crocodile said:

:music: Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Probably one of the best James Newton Howard scores. A lot of it sounds like a better executed Waterworld. And while the existing album is fine I would welcome the expansion with open arms.

Earlier listened to superb re-recordings of the (only) two excellent scores Bernard Herrmann wrote for Francois Truffaut: The Bride Wore Black and Fahrenheit 451. They are actually quite different from each other - one is harsh and dry the other full of wonder and warm glow. Both quite delicious.

Karol

As you say does sound like a better executed Waterworld with a more consistent ambience to it, especially when the crew reaches Atlantis and Howard can go on full awe-and-wonder mode. The OST omits a lot of the Mickey Mousey music from the opening of the film which is just fine by me but I would certainly not say no to a complete presentation of this and JNH's other Disney scores.

Minority Report by John Williams: I love this stuff. Sure it is often atmospheric, dark and brooding but this is a pretty fantastic update of the film noir musical style into the modern era with some additional warmth injected by the lovely Sean's theme and kinetic action exemplified by the centerpiece Anderton's Great Escape.

Waterworld by James Newton Howard: Another listen. I have to admit this score does get better with each further examination. Fun stuff. No wonder JNH remembers the assignment so fondly.

9 hours ago, Fabulin said:

@crocodile @Incanus I am curious what do you guys think of JNH's Dinosaur.

I always considered it to be his insurmountable masterpiece. His best melodies, his best fitting to the events onscreen... and absolutely majestic throughout.

Only some highlights from Atlantis, Treasure Planet and Waterworld really keep up with it.

9 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

That would be Signs. :)

No, that would be The Lady in the Water.

Dinosaur is very good, though I do have a softer spot for Treasure Planet.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Dinosaur is very good, though I do have a softer spot for Treasure Planet.

TP is better. Dinosaur has a few great cues and lots of what i call 'polished orchestrator standard' in between (the kind of stuff that was always orchestrated by the same five guys, regardless of composer).

11 hours ago, Fabulin said:

The Attack

The Egg Travels

Courtship

Raptors / Stand Together 

Across the Desert

Carnotaur Attack

Breakout

Great excerpts. Dinosaur is one of my favourite James Newton Howard scores.

Today was a quick spin through the DC ~ Zimmer scores.

Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice by Hans Zimmer & Junkie XL

I like Holkenborg's ridiculously powerful percussion and RCP, interestingly enough. This score is bursting with power and Zimmer-isms. Liked it quite a bit.

Man of Steel by Hans Zimmer

A slight drop from above, but Man of Steel still passes as a pretty good score. Terraforming and Tornado were two highlights.

The Dark Knight by Hans Zimmer & James Newton Howard

The ultimate DC Zimmer score in my opinion. Once again, Zimmer comes across with great power. That's what I love about his scores. They aren't loud neccesarily, although they can be. They are powerful.

And others from the past while:

Goldfinger by John Barry

Classic Bond action from Barry again. The Miami cues are the highlights, and a title song sung by Shirly Bassey. 

Star Wars: The Phantom Menace (The Illustrious Edition) by John Williams

Yes! Best prequel score. Just finished up a quick edit. Loving it.

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol by Michael Giacchino

An alright Mission Impossible score, but there's not too much aside from Schifrin's original themes that keep things interesting. Kraemer did much better things with Schifrin material in Rogue Nation as it is. Alright.

Iron Man 3 by Brian Tyler

An alright theme, it being the only thing I can still remember from the score. General action music. Nothing memorable, but not bad.

4 hours ago, publicist said:

TP is better. Dinosaur has a few great cues and lots of what i call 'polished orchestrator standard' in between (the kind of stuff that was always orchestrated by the same five guys, regardless of composer).

You're right, Twilight Princess IS better!