What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

12 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

Copland: Music for Films

A great suite, although really good cues are left out from all three films featured (The City, Of Mice and Men, Our Town).

Luckily all three have gotten full re-recordings this century.  I'm especially in love with a cue from Our Town called "Emily's Dream."

The City on this release:

https://www.amazon.com/Celluloid-Copland-Music-Sheffer-Orchestra/dp/B0000584Y7

Of Mice and Men/Our Town on this one:

https://www.chandos.net/products/catalogue/ZH 0124

A high-octane Wesley Snipes actioner, quintessential 90's, really, and Zimmer's template was in full force even in 1994. The fat pathos, the rock syncopations, only that with the heavy use of e-guitars the source are more obvious here than in later works. And honestly, it's also more fun.

Probably the first score since the late 90's that really is written and orchestrated like it actually came from the Silver Age. A hybrid of early-ish Horner, Morricone (the italo westerns, especially the main tune) and Goldsmith (70's rhythms), it's a bit slight and underscore-ish for the 70-minute running time but will appease those afraid of scores like this forever sounding like 'Sicario'. The story concerns resistance in Spain, 1944. Spurred on by the french resistance's successes against Nazi oppression, a Spanish guerilla group decides to return from exile as part of an idealistic operation to reconquer the Spanish territory and overthrow General Franco. It's probably not more than 30 minutes you get out of it, but there you go.

20 minutes ago, publicist said:

Probably the first score since the late 90's that really is written and orchestrated like it actually came from the Silver Age. A hybrid of early-ish Horner, Morricone (the italo westerns, especially the main tune) and Goldsmith (70's rhythms), it's a bit slight and underscore-ish for the 70-minute running time but will appease those afraid of scores like this forever sounding like 'Sicario'. The story concerns resistance in Spain, 1944. Spurred on by the french resistance's successes against Nazi oppression, a Spanish guerilla group decides to return from exile as part of an idealistic operation to reconquer the Spanish territory and overthrow General Franco. It's probably not more than 30 minutes you get out of it, but there you go.

This sounds terrific. 

Karol

Lena Raine - Celeste: Farewell (OST)

Well dang, it turns out this is brilliant.  At times it feels like a remix project, at times it feels like the Vitamin String Quartet is covering the old music... but yet, overall, everything really gels together and creates a nice moving experience.  Now, it doesn't have a nice narrative like the original or half the emotional weight, but this is a very lovely 40 minute album, and it's nice to hear Lena re-interpret her own themes with live instruments rather than someone else doing it.  So, great for fans of hte original album, but not a good place to start for anyone new to Celeste or Raine in general

Mark Mancina - Twister (LLL)

Like an old friend coming over.  What a terrific album!

Alexandre Desplat - Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets

One of my favorite scores of the 2010s.  I hope Besson makes a sequel film, and Desplat returns!

Alan Silvestri - Welcome to Marwen

Finally checked this out.  It's very, VERY obviously a Silvestri/Zemeckis collab.  Need to listen again to pick up on anything specifically interesting about it.

Jerry Goldsmith - Planet of the Apes (LLL)

Amazing.

Harold Faltermeyer - Beverly Hills Cop (LLL)

Super fun!  I still haven't listened to III or III's score, but keep returning to this one every few months.

John Williams - The Force Awakens (complete edit)

I think JW was really inspired when he wrote this score and the end result is just fantabulous!

23 minutes ago, Bespin said:

The Last Jedi - John Williams (co-conducted by William Ross)

Accidental Tourist - John Williams

Always - John Williams

Fixed!

Phantom Thread by Jonny Greenwood

Fascinating, and simply put one of the best low-flying film scores of the past few years. Good to get back into a listening mood- I haven't sat through a full album in six weeks.

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible (LLL)

Perfect expansion of a great score!  The new program assembled by Neil Bulk is not only is extremely satisfying musically, but has been mastered by Mike Matessino to sound better than the OST album ever did.  Great release!

James Horner - Aliens (Varese Deluxe Edition)

Hadn't listened to this in a while.  It's still amazing and I love it

Minako Hamano & Kozue Ishikawa - The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening (Switch remake game rip)

Wow!  This is really good.  Essentially just new arrangements / better versions of already great music.  Super fun!

6 minutes ago, Jay said:

Did he write anything new or was he just in charge of the new arrangements of the original game's score?

Well there is music for the Chamber Dungeon stuff right?

I don't know what that is or how to answer that question.  I haven't played the remake yet, nor watched any gameplay videos or really spoiled myself on anything about it so I can experience it fresh

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

I don't know what that is or how to answer that question.

Um, just listen to the tracks on the score rip that say "Chamber Dungeon" and see if they sound new?

Lavish score for choir and orchestra for a documentary about a bavarian on a journey to the edge of the world (which obviously includes a lot of (ex) communist countries like Russia, China, Cuba or North Korea). In film music terms, it has nods to Horner and Shore and Desplat, or better, their writing styles, but is its own beast. Emphasis is on strings and cello. Not the most original thing, but merits mention as one of the few expansive, thematically driven orchestral film music works 2019. Together with my wednesday find of 'Sordo' it's part of a surprisingly good September.

A noisy stew where the few nods to Goldsmith's (and Tyler's own) themes become intense 'wtf just happened?' moments. There's really no musical artistry involved in ramping up percussions and deep basses to constantly go 150% (with electronic amplification to match) but at least it may guide the more wistful listener back to Goldsmith's melancholy main title for 'Rambo III' (!), a score itself not a shining beacon of musical subtlety, but looking back a surprising amount of emotion).

Star Wars: The Empire Strikes Back (RCA) in preparation for tonight's concert.

Wanted. One of the most overlooked Danny Elfman scores. Chock-full of themes and a surprisingly melodic take on 00's action genre. Good concise album too.

How To Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World. I'm not quite sure where it should rank among the other two or within John Powell's recent spectacular output but it surely is very enjoyable album regardless.

Karol

What was it this week... 

Schindler's List - kinda chrono edit

Goldsmith's Mummy - OST cues switched into the main program where the mix is better

JW's Dracula

Broughton's Homeward Bound

Tadlow Lawrence of Arabia

This commuting, what-am-I-feeling-like-this-morning listening schedule results in eclectic enumerations!

Leviathan's a more rote score than I remember ("Decompression" especially is an usually lazy action cue for him). End titles are the only thing worth taking out of it. It's as good a score as the movie deserved anyway. 

Tracks 2, 4, 8, 10 and 11 still crackle (there's a surprising reliance on low-end piano and plucked strings, the whole score sounds as if JG was cattle-prodded back into the 70's, just with high-tech recording gear and huge orchestra).

Danny Elfman - Mission: Impossible (La-La Land Complete)

I love it I love it I love it!

John Williams - Jaws (McNeely re-recording)

All the hubub over the Intrada re-issue made me want to revisit this core this morning, only to find I don't have the Intrada set on my work hard drive!  So I took to Spotify and while they have the Decca CD, I didn't want to listen to that, so I chose the McNeely re-recording instead.  Hey, this is actually a fun interpretation of this score, with enough subtle differences and of course a very different recording quality than the original to make it worthwhile.  Only bummer is that "Remains On The Beach", "Typewriter", and "Shark Tows Orca" are missing entirely, why couldn't they have recorded those too?

13 minutes ago, Jay said:

Hey, this is actually a fun interpretation of this score, with enough subtle differences and of course a very different recording quality than the original to make it worthwhile

Don't forget the occasional blunders!

6 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

Star Wars Trilogy: The Original Soundtrack Anthology

So weird to own near mint CDs that came out when my parents were younger than I am now.

That's great! How much did you have to pay for it?

14 minutes ago, Modest Expectations said:

Yeah, it's great. Especially considering that I sooner heard the ASM adaptations and Dudamel's recordings in high quality than the original Star Wars music that I had otherwise known for 20 years. Crazy! I have been wondering whether to wait for a future definitive release, but impatience won in the end. And anyway my ears can't stand Youtube quality anymore. I've become Prinsessen paa Ærten when it comes to sound.

I paid £12 + shipping

That's a good price! I purchased mine at Discogs a few years ago, and I think I paid closer to £20 + shipping. But it was close to mint. :)

6 hours ago, Modest Expectations said:

Star Wars Trilogy: The Original Soundtrack Anthology

So wacky to own near mint CDs that came out when my parents were younger than I am now.

I got it when I was a kid.