What Is The Last Score You Listened To? (older scores)

Ollie

Woah, its been a long time since I've posted in this thread! Let's see:

John Williams - Jurassic Park (Complete)

No, I don't have the recording sessions or anything. I prefer listening to this score in complete chronological format over the OST arrangement. I hope I can someday listen with out all the dinosaur roars over the non-OST music :)

Truly a remarkable score, sometimes I forget how spectacular "Journey To The Island" really is

James Horner - Krull (La La Land Complete)

I like this score, but its a bit long. Maybe someday I will listen to only the tracks originally chosen for the OST. LLL's version sounds very nice, though I already had the Super Collector one so there was nothing "new" as far as the music itself goes.

James Horner - Aliens (BR isolated score)

Essentially the same thing as listening to the Varese disc. Maybe I noticed some more instruments than I had before? One of my favorite Horner scores. Not a dull moment throughout.

James Horner - Star Trek III (FSM CD 1)

Can't believe I hadn't listened to this until now. I always liked this score, but I definitely like it even more now! Some of the unreleased cues are among the highlights of the whole score! This one will be getting more spins from me soon.

Jerry Goldsmith - Night Crossing

Sorry Goldsmith fans, this one made no impact on me at all. Can't remember any details about it

John Williams - SpaceCamp (Intrada)

This also surprisingly did very little for me. Perhaps because I don't know the film very well (saw it once a few years back). Or I might have just been distracted, doing other things while listening. When my replacement CD comes in, I'll be sure to listen to it in the car.

Danny Elfman - The Nightmare Before Christmas

I so love this score! CANNOT WAIT to get all the unreleased music in the Burton Box!

John Williams - Black Sunday

Eh. Not one of my favorites. Perhaps if I had ever seen the film. As it is, it doesn't make much of an impact on me. A lot of it is similar.... .it kinda just builds and builds until it gets to the climax, without many mini-climaxes along the way.

Danny Elfman - Batman Returns (Complete)

Figured I'd give my SFX-riddled boot one last spin before deleted it permanently. This is no way to listen to this score. The sound quality sucks to much to get anything out of the unreleased music. CANNOT WAIT to hear LLL's CD!!

John williams - Home Alone (OST)

On Black Friday, I randomly grabbed this CD on my way out the door as I left to go help my brother move. I was literally announcing it when I saw the LLL announcement ;) I love this score, but the OST is so out of order and wacky, the LLL Complete release is greatly welcomed by me

Truly a remarkable score, sometimes I forget how spectacular "Journey To The Island" really is

YES. Easily among my favorite tracks...of all time, really. What a powerhouse.

Jerry Goldsmith - Night Crossing

Sorry Goldsmith fans, this one made no impact on me at all. Can't remember any details about it

Perhaps because you listened to some of the Horner copies directly before. :) Seriously though, give it another chance, there's some truly wonderful stuff in it, the flight music in particular. And of all Goldsmith scores, it's one of those that should appeal more than most to non-Goldsmith fans.

James Newton Howard's The Village. Saw the film when it first came out, never paid much attention to the music. When it got the Oscar nomination, I kept meaning to get around to it. Finally listened to it, loved it. One of the best of the 2000's. I'll have to re-watch the film (which I didn't hate, like a lot of people seem to...)

A Christmas Carol (1999) - Stephen Warbeck

I've had this score for many years and listen to it seasonally each year. I've finally decided that aside from the sad yet beautiful love theme, I really don't care much for it. Not that it's offensive or anything, but it just carries the same bleak and dreary tone throughout, so much that when you get to the part where it's supposed to sound bleak and dreary (Ghost of Future) it just kinda blends in with the rest without impact. I'm still waiting for the perfect Christmas Carol score where the composer writes completely unique themes for each Christmas Ghost (Marley, Past, Present, Yet-to-Come). Too bad Maestro Williams never got the opportunity. At any rate, the highlights of Warbeck's score are, sadly, the source cues such as Fezziwig's party.

James Newton Howard's The Village. Saw the film when it first came out, never paid much attention to the music. When it got the Oscar nomination, I kept meaning to get around to it. Finally listened to it, loved it. One of the best of the 2000's. I'll have to re-watch the film (which I didn't hate, like a lot of people seem to...)

Once you realise that the score is written from the Adrien Brody character's point of view, it takes on a whole new resonance.

It's the cue which opened my eyes to JW.

It's the cue which opened my eyes to JW.

It's definitely the cue my deaf friend enjoys the most. It opened his eyes, too.

Yes, indeed. That's why JNH of today is lame.

Karol

Can you honestly blame him? For nearly the entire first half of the past decade, each one of his scores was masterpiece quality. It's hard to keep that up over so much time. For what it's worth though, I thought Salt was a great score that harkened back to his Fugitive sound.

Once you realise that the score is written from the Adrien Brody character's point of view, it takes on a whole new resonance.

What makes you think this ?;)

I think I know what he means, but yes, I would like some elaboration as well.

I'm still waiting for the perfect Christmas Carol score

300px-Album.mcc-original.jpg

Well, if it's musicals, I prefer:

49cd36025ea60_53443n.jpg

But what scoring opportunities for some lucky composer. Here's my thought:

Marley's Ghost - Something traditionally spooky... maybe some Liszt - style violin. A danse macabre.

Ghost of Christmas Past - Piano motif - the perfect instrument for reflection on the past.

Ghost of Christmas Present - Let loose with unbelievable joy and Christmas grandeur. The kind only JW can achieve.

Ghost of Christmas Yet To Come - Tolling bells and choir.

I have this idea of what I'd like to hear musically, but, I'm not a composer.

Yes, indeed. That's why JNH of today is lame.

Karol

Can you honestly blame him? For nearly the entire first half of the past decade, each one of his scores was masterpiece quality. It's hard to keep that up over so much time. For what it's worth though, I thought Salt was a great score that harkened back to his Fugitive sound.

I don't how a bout masterpiece but there are some really stunning ones. All the Shyamalan's scores obviously. I even liked The Happening quite a bit. And Snow Falling on Cedars. That was top notch as well. I Am Legend has some really good bits.

Karol

I don't how a bout masterpiece but there are some really stunning ones. All the Shyamalan's scores obviously. I even liked The Happening quite a bit. And Snow Falling on Cedars. That was top notch as well. I Am Legend has some really good bits.

Karol

Even LAST AIRBENDER is a really well thought-out score, only that people are too dumb to listen beyond some superficial sonic similarities to RCP. And i take any modern Newton Howard score over stuff like FLATLINERS or DAVE or even THE FUGITIVE. He wasn't a very good composer then, i think.

Karol

Even LAST AIRBENDER is a really well thought-out score, only that people are too dumb to listen beyond some superficial sonic similarities to RCP. And i take any modern Newton Howard score over stuff like FLATLINERS or DAVE or even THE FUGITIVE. He wasn't a very good composer then, i think.

I would say The Last Airbender is a well thought-out score (even though it did not affect me on the level the previous Shyamalan/JNH collaborations have done) but suffers in places from certain generic sound that JNH scores have from time to time. I mean that it feels like it could come from any other action/fantasy score in the last 15 years and sounds almost too polished for itw own good, lacking personality. His thematic writing in this particular score is bit on the simple side, rooting the heroic music on a single short chord progression and emphasizing the percussion and rhythm elements in the music. Not all scores need countless themes but I felt the bad guys should have had one defined and recognizable theme that JNH could have pitted against the mystical Avatar and heroic Avatar themes. As it is the Fire Nation has fragmentary and short musical motifs which do not make for a strong signature sound. And the reports that the composer supposedly divided the instrumental forces of the orchestra between four elements is not very obvious to me when I listen to the score.

And even though most swear there is not much choral music missing I would certainly love to hear them in their full majesty in this music which would strengthen the spiritual aspect which in the film itself is entirely carried by the music.

I would say The Last Airbender is a well thought-out score (even though it did not affect me on the level the previous Shyamalan/JNH collaborations have done) but suffers in places from certain generic sound that JNH scores have from time to time. I mean that it feels like it could come from any other action/fantasy score in the last 15 years and sounds almost too polished for itw own good, lacking personality. His thematic writing in this particular score is bit on the simple side, rooting the heroic music on a single short chord progression and emphasizing the percussion and rhythm elements in the music. Not all scores need countless themes but I felt the bad guys should have had one defined and recognizable theme that JNH could have pitted against the mystical Avatar and heroic Avatar themes. As it is the Fire Nation has fragmentary and short musical motifs which do not make for a strong signature sound. And the reports that the composer supposedly divided the instrumental forces of the orchestra between four elements is not very obvious to me when I listen to the score.

And even though most swear there is not much choral music missing I would certainly love to hear them in their full majesty in this music which would strengthen the spiritual aspect which in the film itself is entirely carried by the music.

It's not Top 50 material, for sure, but worthy enough and not deserving of all the backlash it got.

As for the thread title, i enjoy the fourth run of Daft Punk's TRON LEGACY on youtube and it has its great, good and not so good momentsa, but on the whole, it's one of 2010's best.

The King's Speech by Alexandre Desplat

This one went by unnoticed because of all the Harry Potter madness. A nice little score. Unfortunately it isn't as good as I was expecting, with the theme being merely nice in the short 32-minute running time. If Desplat will be nominated again this year, it will probably be for this.

Batman by Danny Elfman

While waiting for expanded Batman Returns. LLLand release a lot, especially to the film version, which replaced in my mind the album release. I love the previously unreleased noir-like music and such. It's interesting how the treatment of Batman theme differs in both scores. In this one it's almost "jazzy" whereas in BR it fits more with the classic Elfman style.

Karol

Home Alone (Expanded): A great presentation of a great score. I love the Christmas carols and the alternate Finale.

Big Band Christmas: This is a fantastic CD. Great performances of really cool arrangements of Christmas classics. I love the Nutcracker stuff.

Tangled: This is a nice success for Menken I think. The vocals are all nice, but "I've Got a Dream" is my favorite. I also like "I See the Light." The purely instrumental cues are stronger than they usually are for Menken. Not quite Hunchback quality, and none of them beat Pocahontas' "Farewell," but there's some very exciting stuff.

Return of the King the Complete Recordings by Howard Shore

Lost the Last Season by Michael Giacchino

Lost the Last Season the Last Episodes by Michael Giacchino

Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by John Williams

Saving Private Ryan by John Williams

Seven Years in Tibet by John Williams

A.I.-Artificial Intelligence (Oscar Promo) by John Williams

I had a lot of difficulty appreciating Alien Resurrection - just wasn't my type of score.

I have the original album. I originally wasn't too fond of it, this was back in the day when I would try and buy everything. But over the years it has grown on me, even though it sounds like Dante's Peak at times.

I'm now currently listening to the full score for Home Alone.

How improved is the sound, compared to the original 1990 CD? Is it a really drastic difference?

There is a difference but the original album sounded very good.

Star Trek V (La La Land)

I've been playing it waaay too many times, and loved it every time so far. Sound is stunning, of course.

Batman Returns (La La Land)

An excellent release, but it'll take a little getting used to at that lengs. Stunning sound quality and presentation.

Lord of the Rings: The Rarities Archive

Very interesting to hear this material, but there's nothing earch shattering on this CD. Amazong book though, and the CD is an appropriate and fitting extra.

Very interesting to hear this material, but there's nothing earch shattering on this CD. Amazong book though, and the CD is an appropriate and fitting extra.

The books looks absolutely gorgeous. I wasn't sure when I first saw the previews, but on paper it's a delight to watch. And very nice and easy read too. The CD is what it needs to be: a bonus.

Karol

I would say The Last Airbender is a well thought-out score (even though it did not affect me on the level the previous Shyamalan/JNH collaborations have done) but suffers in places from certain generic sound that JNH scores have from time to time.

Or most of the time.

Sadly it's becoming more of a trend with him.

Sourpuss!

(i like the NH more often than not)

As for STAR TREK V, i got it yesterday and from what i could gather, there are mostly alternates on the first CD, which is sweet because i played the old album to death. The sound is greatly improved, though the old album tracks still have that plastic sound. I may do a little cutting to join the shorter tracks and build a shrine around this funky synth-assembly track. Just imagine how Goldsmith told Shatner that those shrill synthie birdcries are for the klingons... :lol:

The Holiday. I forgot how pleasant this score was.

The Simpsons movie. Not as pleasant as I remembered it, though it has its moments.

John Adams (miniseries). Some really terrific stuff in there.

Howard The Duck

A strange mix of sensuous noir in the vein of Chinatown with Barry's usual stirring strings, great heroic brass writing and an infectious theme that sounds a bit like Thunderbirds. Very much enjoyed, hope one of the labels gets around to this one soon.

Jerry Goldsmith's score to Sam Peckinpah's underseen tragicomedy The Ballad of Cable Hogue. Very soulful, quirky and earthy, a wonderful listen augmented by excellent songs. Makes me want to watch the film again.

Howard The Duck

A strange mix of sensuous noir in the vein of Chinatown with Barry's usual stirring strings, great heroic brass writing and an infectious theme that sounds a bit like Thunderbirds. Very much enjoyed, hope one of the labels gets around to this one soon.

Jerry Goldsmith's score to Sam Peckinpah's underseen tragicomedy The Ballad of Cable Hogue. Very soulful, quirky and earthy, a wonderful listen augmented by excellent songs. Makes me want to watch the film again.

I like "Don't Turn Away".

Always by John Williams

Minority Report by John Williams

I just realized I've never hear the first one.

Karol

You're not missing much. :lol:

Howard The Duck

I like "Don't Turn Away".

My copy didn't have the songs, just the score, coupled with Barry's score to The Black Hole, just LP rips I think. I don't think I've heard the songs outside of the movie.

Battle Beyond The Stars by James Horner. This score is fun on a bun, but I never realised how much it really cribs from other composers. The Alexander Nevsky parts had me in hysterics, along with the almost verbatim sections taken from TMP. Not to mention opening with the echoplexes from Patton. Still, it's a lot of fun and deserves to be back in print.

Don't forget the rip from Star Wars. But yeah even though it's a temp track wet dream, it's still a fun score and shows what I miss about Horner.