What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

Continue. ;)

You say that as if we're just supposed to accept it and call you 'Daddy'. YOU'RE NOT MY REAL FATHER!!!

Morlock- who can't believe that Texans actually convinced Marc to set up the puppet regime of Jason, under the guise of "We're just here to help"

Morlock 2- ;) Cheers!

Morlock 3- who hasn't seen any movies this past week, just a steady diet of Man Men, Boardwalk Empire, Breaking Bad, Community, Modern Family and The Daily Show.

The Omega Man: I loved this as a child but now it's a camp- and snoozefest. I really don't understand why it's one of Tim Burton's favorite movies.

omegaman.jpg

Fargo: One of my least favorite Coen brothers movies.

FARGO_frances.jpg

Seems like you always hate everything you loved as a kid.

"Hate" is a way too strong word, but when I was 10 or 12, I couldn't yet see that movies like The Omega Man weren't all that good to begin with.

It did absolutely nothing for me. =/

It does seem to click with a lot of people. I wonder if people still love it just as much today as they did back then. Maybe Koray is right, perhaps most people don't reevaluate their opinions.

It does seem to click with a lot of people. I wonder if people still love it just as much today as they did back then. Maybe Koray is right, perhaps most people don't reevaluate their opinions.

Maybe its because of its exposure, or my late coming to it (Didn't get to discover it for myself, as opposed to every single other Coen Bros movie, aside from Barton Fink, that other favorite I never warmed to as much as many others), but it does feel like a thinner movie to me than most of their other films.There's very little in it I don't like, it just doesn't amount to as much as some of their other films. Still, I think it's a terrific little morality tale, the first of their films that really nailed down the central theme in their work.

Personally, I like the film best the first 30 minutes, before the character of Frances McDormand sets in. I don't have such problems with Barton Fink, which to me is a much more intriguing film. That film keeps my interest for the whole duration, even after multiple viewing.

Maybe its because of its exposure, or my late coming to it (Didn't get to discover it for myself, as opposed to every single other Coen Bros movie, aside from Barton Fink, that other favorite I never warmed to as much as many others), but it does feel like a thinner movie to me than most of their other films.There's very little in it I don't like, it just doesn't amount to as much as some of their other films. Still, I think it's a terrific little morality tale, the first of their films that really nailed down the central theme in their work.

WHAT???!!! You don't absolutely adore "The Big Lebowski"??!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!!!!!!!

WHAT???!!! You don't absolutely adore "The Big Lebowski"??!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!! WRONG!!!!!!!!

I think Morlock loves that one, just like everyone else, except me.

The Gold Retrievers :P

Hehe, I watched that one too on a bus trip last weekend. I can't say that I hated it. I wanted to sleep on the bus ride, but I found myself interested enough to watch the movie.

It's really a low-budget B-grade take on the same story perfected by The Goonies: a town in jeopardy of being sold is saved in hours by kids who find a treasure that nobody believes exists or can't find for hundreds of years, but manage to find themselves, while being pursued by crooks.

It's harmless fun and if I were a parent on a low budget, it'd be safe for the kids. Better than one of the Olsen twins movies.

It does demonstrate how far the careers of Steve Gutenberg and Billy Zane have fallen. I recognized Curtis Armstrong and it bugged me that I couldn't place what else I've seen him in, and looking in his imdb, I still can't tell.

My complaints?

A medallion with engraved Spanish writing falls into the dirt with enough force to leave imprints that molten wax can pick up, creating a duplicate medallion. The idea worked really well in Raiders of the Lost Ark, but here it's contrived bullshit. The viscosity of the spreading wax would probably dissipate the raised characters in the dirt.

And when they find the treasure chamber, there is a clue that says "the gold is cold." A corridor of intensely hot rock is impassable except for the gold rocks that the kids can step on wearing sneakers to cross. Except gold is one of the best conductors of both heat and electricity that exists. But who needs physics in movies, right?

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

I was waiting for the upcoming Blu to revisit this one, but my film professor showed it in class. I forgot how good it is.

It's absolutely brilliant. Is there are Blu release scheduled?

Strangers on a Train and Treasure of the Sierra Madre recently occupied my DVR courtesy of TCM.

Is Strangers on a Train the one that Mitchell talked about on Modern Family last night? Does anybody else even watch that show?

EDIT: I just looked it up and it is. I want to watch that movie now - it looks good!

I don't know. Strangers on a Train is about a demented man's scheme to murder his father, which involves swapping murders with a tennis player he meets on the titular train. It's very good.

Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind

I was waiting for the upcoming Blu to revisit this one, but my film professor showed it in class. I forgot how good it is.

It's absolutely brilliant. Is there are Blu release scheduled?

There's actually one already out, which I didn't know. But yes, a new one is coming out at the end of January. The 25th, I believe.

How to Train Your Dragon

Meh. The film was okay. The animation was great and there were a couple laughs.

But I'm getting quite sick of the whole son-who-disappoints-his-father shtick.

On the other hand, John Powell's score was fantastic.

Even my non-fanatical family members were commenting on it.

Not that it keeps me from enjoying it a whit, but what's up with the Scottish stylization?

Viking != Scottish

Easy A

Had to see it for my film class. A decent film. A comedy? I don't know, wasn't really funny, at all. It definitely plays more like a drama, but a very very very very light one. Some interesting camera shots, generally good dialogue, and a catchy song that's now stuck in my head. That's pretty much it. Wouldn't have seen this if I didn't have to.

Let Me In

Excellent, although I couldn't really concentrate because my managers kept blabbing on the radio. Had to step out for about 5 minutes, so that made the experience worse. Overall, very slow and very clean in a perfectionist type way. Definitely not your typical horror film. Really great cast, love seeing Elias Koteas and Richard Jenkins get some "leading" material. Giacchino's score was fantastic, reminded me a lot of Morricone's The Thing. I really liked how it focused on the two kids, you never see the mother's face. There were also some nice Hitchockian elements that reminded me of Rear Window.

Easy A

Had to see it for my film class. A decent film. A comedy? I don't know, wasn't really funny, at all. It definitely plays more like a drama, but a very very very very light one. Some interesting camera shots, generally good dialogue, and a catchy song that's now stuck in my head. That's pretty much it. Wouldn't have seen this if I didn't have to.

Sounds about as funny as that other recent "comedy" wotsit... A Serious Man. Side-splitting.

The Social Network

There are good bits there, but all thing seemed to me a bit uninteresting. It's good enough to read on a newspaper, but not enough for a film. They tried really hard to make it interesting, by injecting a little humour and such, but the film is pretty empty. Besides, I just can't care for all these people.

Karol

Yes, but what I also mean is that the conflicts of whiny and blase kids over a stupid website don't make for a compelling drama. There is nothing at stake here, apart from their egos. You can have great performances, dialogues and all that, but the core of it all is just... weak.

Besides, as far as I know it doesn't quite stick to the facts.

Karol

At least part of it is dramatized. Don't know how much is though. Either way, I found the film fascinating, coming from the era when Facebook was an exclusive thing. I remember having to get my college friend to send me an invite via e-mail. It's crazy how much it has changed, and not for the better.

...I found the film fascinating, coming from the era when Facebook was an exclusive thing. I remember having to get my college friend to send me an invite via e-mail. It's crazy how much it has changed, and not for the better.

1452.gif

Yes, while most of those are completely hilarious, the space shuttle one is actually really sad. And I know some internet geek wrote it up, but still.

Anyway, DIAL M FOR MURDER in splendid HD. What a great movie and a strange one as well. I can't honestly say I rooted for any of the characters until very late in the movie. But it's a complete thrill to see it all unfold. I guess it's kind of like when you have an ant farm and you just sort of sit there watching them do their thing. It's fascinating and entertaining, but they're all disgusting.

Not a film per se, but I just watched the second part of Mark Gatiss' amazing documentary series A History of Horror, this time based around Hammer and British horror. Great, great stuff (and a smidgen of Goblin too).

watched Let the Right One In yesterday and Let me In this afternoon. I enjoyed Let Me In better because of the performances but I liked some of the story elements of the foreign film better. Neither is the great film some portray them to be. They are both very good, but not great films. I do like the use of the 80's as a centerpoint for Let Me In. At least neither was a Twilight type film. No Dreamy vampires in this one.

yes I sorta liked the giacchino score to this film. It was as if he was trying to mimic Pino Donnagio

btw the doomed bully(not a spoiler as all bullies are doomed in horror films) was the kid who played Jack's son on Lost.

The Social Network.

The movie sure looks slick and is never boring but as I thought all the characters are despicable and the stakes is just a bunch of whiny kids suing each other over a stupid website . Overall it's not the great film some people make it out to be

Reds.

I dunno,I almost fell asleep. John Malkovitch was just incredibly annoying to watch

The Social Network.

The movie sure looks slick and is never boring but as I thought all the characters are despicable and the stakes is just a bunch of whiny kids suing each other over a stupid website . Overall it's not the great film some people make it out to be

Reds.

I dunno,I almost fell asleep. John Malkovitch was just incredibly annoying to watch

I think you mean "Red". "Reds" is an entirely different film, altogether...

The last film that I watched was "Jaws:The Revenge". I wish I hadn't.

You say that as if we're just supposed to accept it and call you 'Daddy'. YOU'RE NOT MY REAL FATHER!!!

Only my wife calls me "daddy"

Morlock- who can't believe that Texans actually convinced Marc to set up the puppet regime of Jason, under the guise of "We're just here to help"

We're very convincing.

The Social Network.

Reds.

social network is about as appealing as facebook. Fincher sucks ass as a director, always has always will. btw I'm still bored by Benjamin Button is it over yet?

Only my wife calls me "daddy"

TMI. TMI. ;)

Just finished season 2 of Breaking Bad. One of the best single seasons of television I've ever see, from a show that quickly convinced me that it was of the seriously great caliber. Deserves mention in any 'Mad Men-Sopranos-The Wire-Deadwood=greatest era for TV drama ever' conversation, and is (so far) the most even of the bunch. I get the sense that as far as getting into running shows is concerned, it'll be impossible to top.

That certainly got me out of the funk I was in after the season 4 finale of Mad Men, and Boardwalk Empire has yet to coalesce for me, fun and occasionally terrific as it can be.

I started watching Meet Joe Black last night. I can't figure out of it's any good. I recorded the last two hours (!) just in case. But one hour in, I'm kind of entertained by a vaguely retarded Brad Pitt eating peanut butter and stalking Anthony Hopkins.