What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

Michael Apted's 21 Up. Working my way through the whole series. Loving it so far, the various changes and developments (or lack thereof) in the kids are pretty fascinating to see.

Prom Night (1980)

Ugh. That was dull. Like watching paint dry, and not even fun for some chuckles. (Oh wait, that one scene where Leslie Nielson is disco dancing with Jamie Lee Curtis was pretty good.) I will admit that the reveal ending had me fooled, but still I wish I had the 90 minutes back.

I think just about everything about the movie is rather unsettling. It manages that rare thing of getting under one's skin, even just on an aesthetic level; which is quite an astonishing achievement really.

Suspiria

Terrible movie. The most obnoxious score I've ever heard. I wanted to kill myself.

:)

I freakin' love this movie. Charlie and Quint are right, it's a beautiful film to look at. I think if you wanted to kill yourself, the score fulfilled its intention. Yep, it's obnoxious, but so perfect for the film. I remember when the DVD was released on Sep. 11, 2001. It was one of those "Oh wow!" moments when the DVD format was still young. The colors just popped off the screen in such a lush way.

Oh,sorry, I mis-communicated... I didn't watch it that day, no. But I do remember planning on going to Best Buy to pick it up after work, which I didn't. It does seem like so long ago, but I think we remember everything about the day, which is why the release date stands out.

The dialogue and acting are awful, and there's no sense of narrative or structure. Things happen for NO reason whatsoever. When the bat flew in threw the window and then just started flopping around on the floor like a turtle on its back, that's when I had enough. Not to mention she just crushes it with a stool and then we get the most jarring cut to a different scene, rendering what we just saw completely irrelevant. I guess this would be a true Grindhouse experience for me. Lots of bad splices and a ton of scratches. In some scenes it sounded like the sound strip was almost gone too. The score is crap, I'm sorry. It has some Morricone-esque elements to it which are good, but its just so overdone and annoying that it fails. It's an infinite loop or weird barfing people and high pitch instruments. So loud that I couldn't even hear the dialogue at times. Argento has some good shots in there, but all of it is pointless. The scene with the blind guy and his dog in the middle of who-knows-where. What the fuck was that? It was 10 minutes of nothing and then he randomly dies and it's over, cue jarring cut. Everything felt like a set because the lighting was ridiculous. Let's go from blue tint to green tint to red tint, all in 60 seconds. It's like there was a strobe light in every scene.

You need to stop judging it by normal Hollywood terms. A lot of horror films don't make sense if you go by the normal narrative model. You can't apply those rules to a film that deliberately chooses to ignore them. It's like saying Dali or Bosch suck at painting because they don't conform to the normal way of painting things. The same with the use of sound and light. Suspiria isn't a normal film, it's a fever dream that takes on the form of a dark fairytale. It's the Brothers Grimm by the way of Mario Bava and Hammer.

Seriously, watch more Italian movies that aren't westerns, this isn't an anomaly. Although it also sounds like you saw a bad print, the film isn't supposed to look like crap, it's shot incredibly well (and is also a homage to Powell/Pressburger).

The scene with the blind guy and his dog in the middle of who-knows-where. What the fuck was that? It was 10 minutes of nothing and then he randomly dies and it's over, cue jarring cut

I think you should get the DVD and watch the film properly. Things happen in that scene that are perfectly clear.

I also need to give a shout-out to that incredible death scene in the beginning with the stained-glass window. That deserves mad props.

The scene with the blind guy and his dog in the middle of who-knows-where. What the fuck was that? It was 10 minutes of nothing and then he randomly dies and it's over, cue jarring cut

I think you should get the DVD and watch the film properly. Things happen in that scene that are perfectly clear.

I was probably too distracted by the score to notice. I seriously wanted to leave in the beginning. That loop went on for a good 10 minutes.

Reds, KM must have been sleep deprived because there is nothing there to put you asleep. It's a bunch of veteran actors having a blast along with the audience

Came home and watched a series of Hammer horror movies, somewhat cheesy at times, often cold, but quite effective.

I started watching Meet Joe Black last night. I can't figure out of it's any good. I recorded the last two hours (!) just in case. But one hour in, I'm kind of entertained by a vaguely retarded Brad Pitt eating peanut butter and stalking Anthony Hopkins.

Claire Forlarni in a one-piece swimsuit. Nice. :angry:

Hammer stuff is always worth watching if only for the bevy of buxom British beauties on frequent show. Plus the always marvellous Sir Christopher Lee.

It is nice to hear others appreciate Hammer. I'm appalled at the lack of familiarity most Americans have for these mini masterpieces. I fell in love with them in the early 90s, as AMC and TNT were showing them around the time Bram Stoker's Dracula was released. Nobody does Vampires better. The gothic settings, blood, music, actors, boobs, and photography are the perfect ingredients for an enjoyable film. So far in the past month, I've revisited Brides of Dracula, Curse of the Werewolf, Countess Dracula, Dr. Jekyll and Sister Hyde, Dracula Has Risen From the Grave, and Taste the Blood of Dracula.

Still waiting for a video release of Twins of Evil (one of my favorites) and Vampire Circus (which I've never seen)!

The Social Network

I liked it. I didn't know most of the story. I kinda wish they explained some stuff better - Just more about the time and place, like what the different buildings at Harvard they just casually mention are, exactly what a "final club" is, etc. But I enjoyed the story, it was interesting, and man, Zuckerberg was (is?) as asshole! Why screw his friend over like that, just despicable. The movie didn't even give him a reason - maybe he didn't have one? All the actors were really good. I wish they hadn't watered it down for PG13 - a couple too many "freakings" instead of fuckings, though they still got away with way more drug references than I'd expect in a pg13

The Social Network

I liked it. I didn't know most of the story. I kinda wish they explained some stuff better - Just more about the time and place, like what the different buildings at Harvard they just casually mention are, etc. But I enjoyed the story, it was interesting, and mad, Zuckerberg was (is?) as asshole! Why screw his friend over like that, just despicable. The movie didn't even give him a reason - maybe he didn't have one? All the actors were really good. I wish they hadn't watered it down for PG13 - a couple too many "freakings" instead of fuckings, though they still got away with way more drug references than I'd expect in a pg13

Yeah, the script has all the bad language in tact.

I don't know how much of what was told is true. The way I saw it in the film, Zuckerberg had a huge ego and pretty much just wanted the attention of his ex-girlfriend. i.e. "Have you heard about this totally awesome new website, Facebook? Yeah, I invented that while I was drunk one night. Be impressed."

Outstanding trailer, terrible film. I liked the idea of showing the same event from multiple points-of-view, but you can't just show the same 20 minutes over and over and over... Every time it did the rewind, the entire audience would moan and boo.

No, because there's no correlation between Moon and Sunshine. Moon is a sad story about cloning. Sunshine is about a resque mission that ends with opening up the gates of hell, just like Event Horizon.

No, because there's no correlation between Moon and Sunshine. Moon is a sad story about cloning. Sunshine is a resque mission that ends with opening up the gates of hell like Event Horizon.

Thanks for the spoiler warning!

Sunshine lacks the quality of inspiring belief. I know that, as a viewer, I can believe anything but only if it's well told. They say 'comedy' is one of the hardest things to pull off, right? If that's true, then 'science fiction' is probably the only genre that's is even more difficult to make. Not only does it require to be visually convincing, it also needs a kind of 'spontaneity', as if what you are looking at is completely normal and natural. The premise (you can't nuke the sun), the writing and the casting (a way too young cast that acted like Hollywood divas instead of astronauts or scientists) of Sunshine all worked against that.

And Duncan Jones (Moon) is a nice chap but a poor storyteller as well. Except for the retro effects, his images lack impact, plus the central theme was hammered home too hard, just like its role model Silent Running did.

Sunshine nose-dived when it suddenly turned into Event Horizon. Up until then it was a very intriguing, very believable sci-fi story.

The irony being of course the fact that Event Horizon is actually quite good; probably because it knew that it was shit to begin with.

The Social Network

I liked it. I didn't know most of the story. I kinda wish they explained some stuff better - Just more about the time and place, like what the different buildings at Harvard they just casually mention are, etc. But I enjoyed the story, it was interesting, and mad, Zuckerberg was (is?) as asshole! Why screw his friend over like that, just despicable. The movie didn't even give him a reason - maybe he didn't have one? All the actors were really good. I wish they hadn't watered it down for PG13 - a couple too many "freakings" instead of fuckings, though they still got away with way more drug references than I'd expect in a pg13

Yeah, the script has all the bad language in tact.

I don't know how much of what was told is true. The way I saw it in the film, Zuckerberg had a huge ego and pretty much just wanted the attention of his ex-girlfriend. i.e. "Have you heard about this totally awesome new website, Facebook? Yeah, I invented that while I was drunk one night. Be impressed."

Yeah, I just watched it as a piece of entertainment sort-of inspired by true events. Just about everyone involved in either the movie or the actual events portrayed on-screen have asserted that everything in the movie is either totally made up or wildly twisted for dramatic effect, with only small details being accurate. By all accounts, Zuckerberg is actually a very nice guy, and as far as the ex-girlfriend subplot goes, I don't think it has any credence at all, considering he has apparently been with the same girl since long before he started Facebook.

Sherlock Holmes

I enjoyed it, bar a few things. I liked the relationship between Downey and Law, McAdams is an exquisite specimen, and it was a load of fun. Mark Strong however was a very dull villain, and the ending fight on the bridge was a disappointing conclusion. The music was annoying. Still, roll on part two (with Stephen Fry).

I also watched Sherlock Holmes recently. Really good, actually - wasn't sure about the characters at first, and the plot also had me in doubt for a long time, but it all comes together neatly, and the puzzles are well presented. Very nice score, Arnold seems to have taken a hint or two from it for his own Sherlock music.

Sunshine nose-dived when it suddenly turned into Event Horizon. Up until then it was a very intriguing, very believable sci-fi story.

I had no problems with the final act, it's classic Boyle with the characters stripped down to their most primeval versions. It still was in keeping with the rest of the film. Yes, it's a lot like Event Horizon, but unlike that, which starts out with a nice premise and just goes downhill too long and too far, Sunshine actually does work.

No, because there's no correlation between Moon and Sunshine. Moon is a sad story about cloning. Sunshine is a resque mission that ends with opening up the gates of hell like Event Horizon.

Thanks for the spoiler warning!

oh pleas, there is nothing in his thread to give away anything. Moon is just a very dull film with uninteresting story and mundane characters and Sunshine is a typical Danny Boyle movie in that his storys never quite come together. It truly is a Dr Jekell Mr. Hyde film.

How to train your Dragon was a marvelous film it's only drawback was the wretched score. It looks so good on blu

IJKCS hadn't seen it in several years, it's really good in parts and so bad in others. A shame it was so average.

How to train your Dragon was a marvelous film it's only drawback was the wretched score. It looks so good on blu

:)

Baffling! Are they any contemporary scores that you do like, Joe? The only one I can recall you giving love to is Signs.

there are many new scores I like, but this wasn't one of them, it was not good. It's very evident it was not good.

really for you to even question me when you love Zimmer and think munich is a good score, I mean really. perhaps my standards of quality are too high but yours are definately not.

Octopussy

What a promising first half, and what a complete letdown in the second half.

It's one of my favourite 007 films. I wish I was around when these films were crowd pleasers.

it was so much more enjoyable than the non sanctioned connery 007 film that year

Paranormal Activity 2

Well, most of it. Same thing as the first, except they actually had some balls to do something more than flickering lights and thumping noises. I'll admit, I was a little freaked out as I walked through booth to turn off all the projectors afterwards. It's dark up there.

Octopussy

What a promising first half, and what a complete letdown in the second half.

It's one of my favourite 007 films. I wish I was around when these films were crowd pleasers.

You mean ... in the 70s? :)

Are you saying films like DAD or CR were NOT crowd pleasers? They are, even more so I think.