What Is The Last Film You Watched?

Ollie

Munich: Gets worse with each viewing. Too many scenes feel contrived and the film jumps from one scene to another without anything gluing them firmly together. It all feels to long too. James Daniel Craig Bond doesn't feel right in the picture. Joey is correct, Spielberg has lost it.

Goodbye Steven, and thanks for the movies.

Alex

I've seen it twice, years ago. I enjoyed it on both occasions. It was a good film.

Very few movies are built well enough to stand up to repeat viewings. Only the great ones are.

Sometimes it's best not to watch the same movie over and over, I find.

I saw Munich in the theater and thought it was decent, but have never felt the urge to revisit it.

That's exactly how I felt. However, I ended up rewatching it in my History in Film class(what a joke...) after bringing in my unused copy of the DVD, and it was interesting to see that nobody had any idea what was going on. Probably because most teenagers are stupid and don't realize if you don't understand a movie, you should shut up and listen.

To Die For

Very underrated Gus Van Sant film. I saw it not too long ago, but never saw it from the beginning and never found out the name. Love the style and Elfman's score. This was back when Nicole Kidman was a good actress. She's superb here.

To Die For

Very underrated Gus Van Sant film. I saw it not too long ago, but never saw it from the beginning and never found out the name. Love the style and Elfman's score. This was back when Nicole Kidman was a good actress. She's superb here.

Fun classic Zimmer action cue, too. ;)

I've seen it twice, years ago. I enjoyed it on both occasions. It was a good film.

Very few movies are built well enough to stand up to repeat viewings. Only the great ones are.

I'll watch it again one of these days.

Wait! Shouldn't you be listening to your own advice?

Not all of us are as quick as Joey. I needed two viewings to understand the flaws in Munich and a third to be really, really sure about it. Yes, it took some time but ...

e1798c0a201b914cefd82c666b1ec847_Another_Matrix_Screen_Saver.gif

... everything is clear to me now.

To Die For

Very underrated Gus Van Sant film.

I agree. I saw it in theaters at the time and I remember I was very impressed with this Phoenix brother.

Alex

I'll watch it again one of these days.

Wait! Shouldn't you be listening to your own advice?

Yes, if I had doubts about the movie in the first place. Turns out I don't.

To Die For

A film that, when mentioned, is usually overrated as underrated. It's blunt satire that didn't strike me as particularly witty, insightful, or interesting. Looked kinda dingy, too.

To Die For

Kidman is a weird actress. I some movies she is absolutely terrific, but then there are others where she's completely fake. I don't understand why...

Karol

She was downright terrible in the equally terrible Australia. She was perfect in To Die For. She often plays characters that aren't necessarily likeable.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

Gonna attempt to watch all 6 again before the new movie comes out. I really enjoyed this movie as I always have, but definitely prefer the version with the deleted scenes re-integrated over the theatrical cut (which is what I had to watch cause I wanted to watch on blu ray and that's what netflix sent me). The only really bad part about the deleted scenes are that they put tracked music under the early scenes in the Dursley household, when they could have just played with no music at all. The tracking is especially bothersome because so much of the opening scenes contain similar music already. Anyway, the film is a good introductory film to the series and the world, combining a nice mix of action, drama, mystery, wonder, and excitement. I kinda they explained better that Harry's touch killed Quirrel/Voldy cause it was specific old magic, and not just "love", but whatevs.

This was my first time seeing the film since becoming familiar with the complete score. So, it was the first time I remember being really aware of Voldy's Themes and how they are used. Its such a great theme! Such a shame it wasn't reworked to be used in movies 4-8. The music is mixed nice and loud in this film too, it really helps add to the atmosphere of everything. Its also interesting to be aware of the missing music in the troll fight, the dark forest, etc.... and to wonder if there were more scenes that were cut around the time "Three Note Loop" is playing.

Voldy's themes aren't in 3 are they? I suppose they wouldn't be anyways. I haven't watched SS in maybe 6 years. I should watch it to enjoy the loud mix. I've always been extremely disappointed about PoA's mix.

No, Voldemort's themes are of course not in 3, as they would have absolutely no reason to be. They are also completely absent from 2, except of course the one scene where Diary-Riddle reveals that he is Voldemort.

It makes sense, I mean once Harry defeats Quirrel/Voldy at the end of 1, he is essentially out of the picture until Wormtail revives him at the end of 4. So, it would have been nice if JW's Voldy themes showed up then and then were used in 5-8 appropriately. Oh well.

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone

I'm rewatching the series as well, at a rate of one movie a week, so I too saw this just a month ago.

The first film is a wonderful family film. It has a very different target audience than the later films, but it works just as well. Plot takes a backseat to magic and frivolity in the first film and it works fine - there's so much information about this new world to take in it's a good thing the film's actual storyline is kept to a minimum. It's far more about taking the audience to a magical world and having fun there than dealing with deeper character themes or high-stakes plotlines. This was the first time the world of Harry Potter was brought to the screen and it all looks wonderful and exciting. Fun family fare.

I've been rewatching the films, too - HBP is next. I also agree that Sorcerer's Stone is more about the world than the plot or character development, for which I like it very much.

One thing I love about these films is that nearly all the characters (Dumbledore being the most notable exception) were played by a single actor for every installment, so we are literally watching the "characters" grow up as the actors do. We have captured the trio's journey from childhood to adulthood in a capsule. Quite fascinating.

Started watching Indy 4 for the first time in a long while this afternoon. About 1/3 of the way through I got up and started doing some long-delayed house rearranging/cleaning/throwing away.

Since I've started paying more attention (re: being seriously annoyed by) massive color grading, I've become more attuned to the color palates and tones used. From that perspective, this is one butt-ugly film.

To Die For

A film that, when mentioned, is usually overrated as underrated. It's blunt satire that didn't strike me as particularly witty, insightful, or interesting. Looked kinda dingy, too.

Well I've never heard anyone talk about it before, hence me saying it's underrated. I thought it was great.

Watched The Other Guys, laughed my arse off. Very silly and very funny. Marky Mark was a big surprise - he was hilarious as a complete idiot, great facial expressions etc.

I'll probably have to wait another couple of years now before another movie keys into my funny bone, since that's the way it seems to be with comedies and I lately.

The Social Network. I'm a big Fincher apologist, but this is not a great film by any stretch. It's pretty good, a decent (if somewhat aimless) entertainment. It's traditional as hell, telling one of the oldest stories there is without much illumination (making it current is not the same as giving new insight). The main character is two-dimensional, and we never really get to know him. Good performances, a couple of really sharply written scenes (the Larry Summers scene is sensational), and ultra-sharp images. A square, unadventurous, unchallenging movie- the least ambitious Fincher film to date. I think he picked the wrong horse with the story and with Sorkin.

She was downright terrible in the equally terrible Australia. She was perfect in To Die For. She often plays characters that aren't necessarily likeable.

I think that her best performance is in "Dead calm". I also like a BBC serial put out about 20 years ago, called "Bangkok Hilton". It also starred Denholm Elliot.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Excellent. The longest novel in the Potter series is distilled into the shortest film. While this initially left some fans disappointed as large memorable chunks from the book were dropped (most notably the exciting break-in into the Ministry), I find the result is one of the tightest and best Potter films to date. It's very closely behind PoA in my book (PoA's daring visual style and excellent score give it a slight edge). Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix manages to capture life at Hogwarts as well as hit upon the major themes of the series better than any of the other films. While the plot logistics of the plot occasionally get a bit lost in translation when adapting the dense novel onto the screen, the story is still good to follow. Performances are good across the board and the production design is once again fantastic. The Voldemort/Dumbledore face-off is a feast for the eyes. I really like this film quite a bit. It shows that you don't have to literally copy a J.K. Rowling novel into the screenplay. Adapting is okay, and it works. I'm looking forward to see what Yates has done with Deathly Hallows.

Finally checked out a bit of Back To The Future Part 3 on Blu-Ray last night. Part 3 is definitely the sharpest of the bunch in terms of picture quality. Probably because it's the newest one. Over all I'm glad I made the purchase. :lol: Also seeing the Back To The Future: The Ride videos in the bonus section for Part 3 was pretty neat.

Finally checked out a bit of Back To The Future Part 3 on Blu-Ray last night. Part 3 is definitely the sharpest of the bunch in terms of picture quality. Probably because it's the newest one. Over all I'm glad I made the purchase. :lol: Also seeing the Back To The Future: The Ride videos in the bonus section for Part 3 was pretty neat.

Odd that part 3 should e the sharpest, since parts 2 and 3 were filmed back-to-back. I'll check it out when I can afford a Blu-ray player...in about 10 years :)

Air Force One, primarily to listen to Goldsmith's score again and decide whether I should buy it. I really like the main theme, and I did hear a fair amount of very solid action music, but I think I'll hold off a little longer. I'm tempted to buy a whole bunch of Goldsmith albums right now, but I'll enjoy it more if I spread 'em out.

I know I'm the minority here, but I've never cared much for AF1. The main theme is really good, but the rest just doesn't connect with me. If you want a great late Jerry action score, I'd recommend The Mummy, or Star Treks First Contact and Nemesis.

I know I'm the minority here, but I've never cared much for AF1. The main theme is really good, but the rest just doesn't connect with me. If you want a great late Jerry action score, I'd recommend The Mummy, or Star Treks First Contact and Nemesis.

I'd also recommend US Marshals, Star Trek: Insurrection, Timeline and Looney Tunes: Back in Action.

The Social Network. I'm a big Fincher apologist, but this is not a great film by any stretch. It's pretty good, a decent (if somewhat aimless) entertainment. It's traditional as hell, telling one of the oldest stories there is without much illumination (making it current is not the same as giving new insight). The main character is two-dimensional, and we never really get to know him. Good performances, a couple of really sharply written scenes (the Larry Summers scene is sensational), and ultra-sharp images. A square, unadventurous, unchallenging movie- the least ambitious Fincher film to date. I think he picked the wrong horse with the story and with Sorkin.

Read this.

I know I'm the minority here, but I've never cared much for AF1. The main theme is really good, but the rest just doesn't connect with me.

As a whole, it's not the first one I'd grab, either. It's still got its moments though, and The Hijacking ranks among Goldsmith's finest action cues from the era.

If you want a great late Jerry action score, I'd recommend The Mummy, or Star Treks First Contact and Nemesis.

Definitely Mummy. As far as Trek goes, if you want action music, I'd recommend Insurrection over all the others (but I know I'm pretty much alone there). Of course, First Contact's main title makes a nice companion piece to AF1's, it's nearly a counterpoint. And I guess its mood is comparable to Soarin'.

Avatar was on last night. Tried getting into it again, I really couldn't. The best characters aren't in it enough (Sigourney Weaver and the Latin broad with the rack), the CGI of the aliens kind of inhibited my enjoyment for whatever reason (while I think I'm becoming more and more anti-CGI, I did find the environments really impressive) and the whole thing did not translate well to home video. It was better in 3D IMAX.

saw Due Date, almost a terrible movie, but not quite.

saw Frozen, a decent effect B thriller

saw the new A Nightmare on Elm Street. An OK remake, not terrible, not great, not worthy of a series of sequels.

Will see Megamind this week, then Skyline and Unstoppable, which I heard is quite good.

Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Excellent. The longest novel in the Potter series is distilled into the shortest film. While this initially left some fans disappointed as large memorable chunks from the book were dropped (most notably the exciting break-in into the Ministry), I find the result is one of the tightest and best Potter films to date. It's very closely behind PoA in my book (PoA's daring visual style and excellent score give it a slight edge). Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix manages to capture life at Hogwarts as well as hit upon the major themes of the series better than any of the other films. While the plot logistics of the plot occasionally get a bit lost in translation when adapting the dense novel onto the screen, the story is still good to follow. Performances are good across the board and the production design is once again fantastic. The Voldemort/Dumbledore face-off is a feast for the eyes. I really like this film quite a bit. It shows that you don't have to literally copy a J.K. Rowling novel into the screenplay. Adapting is okay, and it works. I'm looking forward to see what Yates has done with Deathly Hallows.

My opinion is the same. Not that this movie was flawless, but I find this one second most-engaging of all Potter movies. It's a shame that next one was so dull. I hope Yates will redeem himself with DH.

On a script level, I think it might be the best adaptation of any of the books. And if I'm not mistaken, it's the only Potter film not written by Steve Kloves. Coincidence?