Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

John Crichton

11 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's supposed to be American!

Muggle sounds silly too. We're just used to it.

Bah, I don't care!  Potter was never really my bag.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

No it doesn't! 'Muggle' has been translated into multiple languages, why was Nomaj never mentioned before?

That makes no sense. So, if you read the books in America they should be speaking American? Even though they're located in Hogwarts, Scotland?

Just because I've read the novels in both Danish and English it doesn't mean the Danish translations had any input from Rowling - neither did the American editions.

In my opinion (and nobody has to agree with this) only the words actually written by Rowling is canon. Thus, we've never met any American wizards or witches - except briefly mentioned in Goblet of Fire, but with no dialogue. When Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them is released it will introduce us to the American side of her world, although set in the 1920's (which could also alter the language).

No translation or 'American edition' of the books can be called canon if they change her words, in my opinion. And so, to me the seven published books are canon, Pottermore is extra and sometimes entertaining backstory for those who are interested, the Fantastic Beasts movie will be canon, but Cursed Child won't be.

And about her dropping extra information not in the books; she has always done that. She published Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them along with Quidditch Through the Ages and The Tales of Beedle the Bard for charity, she wrote a short story in 2008 featuring James and Sirius, she wrote four The Daily Prophet editions for the Harry Potter Fan Club in 1998 and 1999 and her old website was filled with tid-bits and backstories for characters that she couldn't fit in the books. Pottermore is just a more organized way of doing it for free.

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

No it doesn't! 'Muggle' has been translated into multiple languages, why was Nomaj never mentioned before?

Because there have been no American characters speaking dialogue to date.

Just as there have been no Australian, Canadian, Afghani, Japanese, Chinese, Iranian, Egyptian etc. characters, so we don't know what they call Muggles in their own communities. These characters are separate to the fans who exist in those places the real world. I think you are confusing the two.

This is an incredibly simple concept and you are clutching at straws in your responses. Fun fact: in different parts of the world the term "clutching at straws" is sometimes expressed as "grasping at straws". This is a phenomenon known as localised language.

I know what language variation means, I'm studying Translation myself. If tap could become fawcet and letter box became mail slot, Muggle could have become Nomaj, but thank God it didn't because it's just a dumb word.

Once, your explanation seems plausible, except for one bit: why are you not considering Cursed Child as Canon? Rowling endorsed it. However, I'm not doing it either because Harry will never be overworked, he spent his days at school doing nothing at all if he didn't like the teachers. I don't want to discuss this issue until the end of my life, I just think there is a time and place for things to end. The seven books were great, the films wre okay and the charity stuff too. I mean, come on, does no one understand where I'm going? Would it make sense if Bob Zemeckis suddenly started a website telling us about Doctor Brown's brother and why he says Great Scott? Who'd want to know that? Why not just publish backstories in novel form instead of tidbits on the Internet? That's just my point of view, so...

The point I'm trying to make is that she has always done it. So it's who she is as a writer; she always wanted to include the fans in such ways and she doesn't contradict the books, so you can choose to ignore it if you wish.

I don't care much about Pottermore, but if her mind wanders and many fans wants to hear what happens or happened I'm not gonna get mad.

The American editions were made because the publishers believed American children wouldn't understand certain British words and slang. As the books grew more and more popular fewer words were changed.

Rowling did not make any of the choices in the American editions, therefore I don't count it as cannon.

If she had, I would. But she didn't. So it seems silly accusing her of anything done in those editions.

With Cursed Child they came to her with a story that she approved, basically. But had she written it herself I would still have counted it. As I said only the words written by her is canon to me, and she's not writing Cursed Child:):):)

EDIT: Oh, and a little edit; she said she made Pottermore as a gift to the fans for free - so that you don't have to buy anything. She has also said that if she ever release any of it in book form it will go to charity.

I, too, would prefer a book, but if it's meant as a free present that of course isn't possible.

Q: Does it bother you that in America they changed the names of your books? 

A: They changed the first title, but with my consent to be honest. I wish I hadn't agreed now but it was my first book, and I was so grateful that anyone was publishing me I wanted to keep them happy

From a Comic Relief 2001 interview.

• 1 month later...
On Tuesday, April 05, 2016 at 4:41 PM, Stefancos said:

It's American, they call aluminium aluminum there!

As We should. 

• 2 months later...

It matches up really well (I particularly love the fanfare matched with the shot of the burning bridge) though in general, the whimsical tone of the first two Potter scores doesn't really work with the significantly grimmer tone of the later films.  It would have been interesting to see how Williams would have adapted.  

I agree that there's always going to be something slightly off about it, and obviously this is way more heightened than it would have any right to be in context with the actual scene but it's fun anyway :P Some of the matches were too cool not to throw up there.

Though I don't really think Yates' style crushed the music as much as it's been characterized. Hooper and Desplat went about as goofy with some of the "magical" cues as Williams ever did, plus Yates always had a handful of cues in each film that were pretty obviously aiming for a big orchestral high. There was always space reserved for that stuff.

• 4 weeks later...

I really enjoyed the first Act, but the second act was like a bad fan fiction.

Not surprised Warner Brothers are considering making a film, its a guaranteed £1 billion + gross

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

And what about Snape? On the one hand, I think picking another actor is blasphemy, but then again, at least Rickman will be spared from speaking all the out-of-character lines

Good point. Maybe an original storyline, then?
But that would probably lead to heavy discontent between Rowling and WB.

The new play is most definitely a sequel on the films, rather than the books.

The description of the Third Task proves as much, as it doesn't fit the book at all,

but it certainly does the films as only the film had "living hedges" instead of "normal hedges with actual cool stuff within them".

I also find it quite odd that this time, time turners COULD change the past.

Because I thought the whole point of Prisoner of Azkaban was that the past was never actually changed to begin with.

It all happened like that the first time too, but they didn't know it and misinterpreted the events.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Read A Brief History Of Time and the works of Kip Thorne for more about the concept of time.

Fun fact - the wizard in the Leaky Cauldron in Prisoner of Azkaban is doing just that.

ianbrownandbook.jpg

Very cheeky bit of foreshadowing.

By the way, just noticed they're possibly doing a trilogy and not just one film?? I'm thinking no way Daniel Radcliffe or Emma Watson commit to that (Rupert Grint, debatable, he hasn't had much else going on) unless they really minimize their roles. Not sure about Maggie Smith either.