Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

John Crichton

So how does this lecensing process work? Do record labels have to badager studios every month or so, or do they have a 'What LLL' wants list or something like that? And when the specialty labels are allowed to release the scores, do the big studios still make any profit from those new albums?

34 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Shame. Would have loved to poop on Radcliffe's face!

You poop ON the seat? Fuckin weird. 

💩 

• 1 month later...

Question: Are there any members here who own the UK version of the 2016 DVD box set with all 8 films plus one bonus disc per film and who could check some audio specs for me? (As usual, there are no clear details on the Internet.)

I still have the first 3 on VHS! 

I have 4-6 on two disc DVDs but they were purchased ages ago. The rest I have on two disc blu-ray. Hope you find what you're looking for.

11 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Question: Are there any members here who own the UK version of the 2016 DVD box set with all 8 films plus one bonus disc per film and who could check some audio specs for me? (As usual, there are no clear details on the Internet.)

Trying to find if there's an audio description track?

Yes. The thing is, ever since Goblet of Fire, the UK DVDs have got an audio description track. The first three films, however, were only audiodescribed on VHS. I do have copies of those, but they sound terrible. Even the 2011 DVD box didn't have AD tracks for 1-3. But now I read that the 2016 DVD and Blu-Ray box set (only the UK version) would apparently have AD tracks for the first three films as well, but I can't find any reliable confirmation anywhere.

I do have the first three on Blu ray which I purchased last year but I don't have them where I'm living right now.

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, Sally Spectra said:

The only things HP related these days are Emma Watson's leaked nuddy pics, a spin-off movie I never saw, and cranky politcal rants from JK Rowling on Twitter. Seems to be in the doldrums now.

Theres that hugely successful play which is sold out until some time next year which will also be opening on broadway. There's the theme parks. The studio tour which you have to book weeks in advance because of the demand. 

1 hour ago, bollemanneke said:

But the play sucks. Really, it's Potter-unworthy.

Doesn't matter. Critically acclaimed, award winning, and sold out. It's still relevant. Which is what was being asked .

Honestly don't understand the love for the play. Half of it is like bad fan fiction. However where there's money to be made...

2 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I still want to know who those critics are and who's bribing them.

Marvel. Obviously. 

2 hours ago, Alex said:

Honestly don't understand the love for the play. Half of it is like bad fan fiction. However where there's money to be made...

1 hour ago, Fancyarcher said:

Never saw the play but based off what I read of it, it didn't exactly sound "great".

Those who saw it have loved it. The production of it is amazing apparently. I'm willing to take the word of people who've seen it over those who haven't. 

Performance is such a vital part of play. You don't get that from reading it. 

Granted, the plot of the play doesn't seem too great from reading it but people have been floored by the production and performances. 

As I said, it's been enormously popular and successful so yeah. Potter is still a big deal in 2017. 

36 minutes ago, Bilbo Skywalker said:

Those who saw it have loved it. The production of it is amazing apparently. I'm willing to take the word of people who've seen it over those who haven't. 

Yeah I heard the actual production was great, the actual story sounded like bad fanfiction though. 

The best plays can still be read like literature, even if it's a very different experience. Obviously the problem with reading the Cursed Child script is that in taking away the spectacle, all you're left with is an attempt to extend the Potterverse and it pretty quickly falls apart on the page.

I haven't seen the play but what I've read from fans who enjoyed it but did not think much of the story is that it becomes less of an issue because the overall vibe of the show is that of a greatest hits retrospective, presented more as a novelty act than serious theater. I've seen a lot of people say that it feels less like they're trying to do "Harry Potter 8" and more "A Tribute to Harry Potter" which makes some sense and would never be very satisfying to read. Your eyes can quickly gloss over "Dementors swarmed the Forbidden Forest" but it's probably a whole other thing to see it performed live. Kinda sounds like it has the same appeal as a theme park attraction where you excuse the flimsy story as a means to an end.

Still seems excessively long, though. Then again so were the books!

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

14 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Good question!

Sounds like specific score booklets which compliment the concert series like a program. 

I wonder as the HP hype ramps back up before FB2 that it might be long enough for something score-related to be announced.

• 3 weeks later...

Saying Hoopers score is the best makes it only better than Doyles which it is.

Doyle's Goblet of Fire is fucking amazing! Big, dark, emotional, it was a great follow-up to Williams'.

1 hour ago, JoeinAR said:

Saying Hoopers score is the best makes it only better than Doyles which it is.

Really? I found Doyles score was mediocre at best. A true dust collector and its such a shame because Goblet Of Fire was the best source material. The best book of the series.