Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

John Crichton

I've only seen the film once so far, but... in the scene where the gang are talking with Aberforth, is it me, or was there one close-up shot of Aberforth where it was actually Michael Gambon? I could've sworn that one shot (I think when they're looking at the picture of the sister) had Gambon done up as Aberforth, maybe as some sort of subjective Harry's-eye-view of him wishing it could be Albus come back to help him?

Maybe I'm just crazy. I'll have to look again when the Blu-ray comes out.

I think Warner Brothers plans to push this film for Best Picture is a worthy battle. This is the best reviewed film of the year. It's not only a great finale, it's a great movie. It does ask the viewer to be aware, but so many films do.

For once I agree with you

you and I agree quite often. we have areas where we disagree from time to time.

Part 2 is a worthy battle for a Best Picture nomination - it has a good shot to fill one of the spots reserved for the mainstream films now that there are a maximum of 10 nominations. As much as I'd love to see it win the Oscar, there is just no way it will happen.

Part 2 is a worthy battle for a Best Picture nomination - it has a good shot to fill one of the spots reserved for the mainstream films now that there are a maximum of 10 nominations.

I'll never get why they went from 5 nominations to 10 nominations. There's only one winner, anyway.

they will not necessarily nominate 10 films this year. Only films that actually qualify with the min. # of votes for a best picture will qualify.

and Stefan, there are many who believe DH2 is a better film than ROTK which won best picture. I am one of them, and I really enjoyed ROTK, but DH2 is a much more satisfying film to me. If we're out of touch with reality so be it.

At least ROTK makes sense within its framework and as an adaption.

And it didn't hesitate to make the film as long as it was feasible to adequately portray the book and tell a compelling story.

The writing trio on the film may have taken some liberties with the story as it was written by Tolkien, but it resulted in good storytelling that made sense without having read the book.

Had Jackson taken the DH route, we'd have a film very true to the book, but scene after scene without much cinematic or dramatic sense. ROTK is a longer film, has to cut back and forth out of necessity, and is still better paced than DH.

Plus, I think Jackson is just a better director than Yates.

All good reasons why ROTK was a winner and DH2 will not be. But there is room for some popular favorites among the nominees. Like Inception, Up, etc.

and Stefan, there are many who believe DH2 is a better film than ROTK which won best picture. I am one of them, and I really enjoyed ROTK, but DH2 is a much more satisfying film to me. If we're out of touch with reality so be it.

I shed a tear at the end of DH2; I almost fell asleep at the ends of ROTK.

I don't blame them for leaving out Dumbledore's backstory. I blame them for making it sound pretty important and interesting in part 1 and make it look like a teaser for part 2, and then never picking up on it again.

That's just bad adapting.

That's what bothered me as well. I was surprised they even bothered with the whole Life and Lies of Albus Dumbledore subplot. It was completely wasted and never paid off. As it is, it serves as a half-assed explanation to how Hermione knows Aberforth. As if the guy can't just introduce himself.

And by the way, why would there be no time? Deathly Hallows, both parts, clock in at just under 2 hours, that's a whopping 15 minutes shorter than PoA for instance.

Plenty of time.

Actually, part 1 comes in at 145 minutes and part 2 at 130 minutes, both longer than 2 hours. Also, there's a little thing called pacing that has to be taken into consideration when deciding what to tell and what not to.

All good reasons why ROTK was a winner and DH2 will not be. But there is room for some popular favorites among the nominees. Like Inception, Up, etc.

Mark my words , DH part 2 will mistakenly win best score Oscar because of Hedwig's Theme in the credits

How many times did you guys see DH2 in theater? Saw it twice. First view was the best (mostly it's the other way round for me).

Twice.

I bothered me that there was no Hedwig over the intro.

Bothered me more the second time though.

Btw, have you heard some of James Hannigan's score for the part 2 video game? I found this piece rather moving:

How many times did you guys see DH2 in theater? Saw it twice. First view was the best (mostly it's the other way round for me).

3 times, last time in 2D which was better. I was able to not feel rushed this last time. I had specific areas I wanted to pay attention too.

Twice - first time was better because 1) it was in IMAX 3D (I saw it again in 2D), 2) it was the midnight showing with all the geeks, and 3) there was still the element of surprise to build the suspense since I wasn't sure exactly how it would be executed.

The second time was still very fulfilling - I got a chance to notice a lot of the details I missed the first time around.

Eh, no matter how I play it in my head, I don't see a variation on Hogwarts Forever fitting the statues scene. Really, as much as MV style cue sucks on the album, it is quite effective in the film.

The deleted scenes video is great. The Yates films really seem to have a common problem, they film scenes that fix many of the plot issues or expand the existing plots but they end up cutting them for the final film..

Twice.

I bothered me that there was no Hedwig over the intro.

Bothered me more the second time though.

Btw, have you heard some of James Hannigan's score for the part 2 video game?

I've heard it, but I prefer Hannigan's work on the OOTP and HBP games. Those two put Hooper's efforts to shame.

Always wondered why In Noctem wasn't in the film.

It is, it's not heard in full. Hooper used different variations throughout, and part of it is used when Malfoy walks to the Room of Requirement.

The deleted scenes video is great. The Yates films really seem to have a common problem, they film scenes that fix many of the plot issues or expand the existing plots but they end up cutting them for the final film..

It's a shame Yates won't sign off on extended versions of his films like Columbus did. I would love to see extended versions of DH1 and DH2, especially the latter. The Dumbledore backstory is hinted at, but they cut the explanation out of the finished cut. It'll likely be part of the deleted scenes on the DVD and Blu-ray release, but not reinstated in a longer cut.

Eh, no matter how I play it in my head, I don't see a variation on Hogwarts Forever fitting the statues scene. Really, as much as MV style cue sucks on the album, it is quite effective in the film.

It wouldn't fit thematically anyway, since it's in fact the Gryffindor theme. ;)

I liked some of the scenes but the acting was quite awkward, and the dialogue wasn't particularly smooth. In Noctem is the only scene that seemed clean enough to fit in the film - it was indeed beautifully, done - it seemed closer to the style of DH2 than HBP (which is a good thing for this scene). The only reason I can think of excluding it is to keep from disrupting the flow.

I especially disliked the way they shot the "I'm not worried because I'm with you" scene. It should have been a quieter moment with close-ups, no camera movement or walking.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Five months of silence on the Potter front and a model of Hogwarts is the only thing we have to discuss here?

I miss the old days.

• 1 year later...

Here as well: Rowling 'got Potter romance wrong' http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-26007732

I totally agree and thought the romantic outcome was weird and wholly unconvincing all along. And I've only seen about five of the movies.

Broken books.

Harry's love life was pretty forced in the books, in general, and even worse in the films. As far as Hermione goes, as I recall the few times they were ever alone in the books, he mostly just thought about how bored he was and how much he missed Ron...