Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

John Crichton

On 14/4/2022 at 4:02 PM, JNHFan2000 said:

It's just 2 Williams tracks newly recorded. 1 played at the beginning and the other at the end of the special. Not really sure why it got a release

anything to squeeze a few more extra bucks out of fans.

On 17/04/2022 at 2:28 AM, TheUlyssesian said:

anything to squeeze a few more extra bucks out of fans.

What bucks? They've been released on streaming services, which people can only access if they've already got a subscription. No-one's paying any extra money to listen to these, and if they are then it's because they'd really like to listen to them.

It makes sense to release them. If you go to the trouble of making a new recording of those tracks you may as well try to recoup some of the costs, even if the return from streaming services is pretty minimal.

With some minor exceptions from time to time, everything on subscription-based or ad-supported streaming sites is also for sale as an independent purchase, so yes, there are people who will choose to buy these as files they own themselves, and if enough people does that, it covers the cost of them releasing them to these stores and streaming platforms in the first place.

Plus, they of course get some fractions of a cent for every stream on all these services, too.

Of course it was done for money.

9 hours ago, Jay said:

With some minor exceptions from time to time, everything on subscription-based or ad-supported streaming sites is also for sale as an independent purchase, so yes, there are people who will choose to buy these as files they own themselves, and if enough people does that, it covers the cost of them releasing them to these stores and streaming platforms in the first place.

Plus, they of course get some fractions of a cent for every stream on all these services, too.

Of course it was done for money.

I never said it wasn't done for money. But Warner Bros are hardly going to turn a profit with these tracks any time soon, they'd be lucky to recoup the costs of recording the orchestra.

It just rubs me the wrong way when people complain about the legitimate sale of music. Just because it's on the market doesn't mean it's some cynical attempt to cash in on fans. The top-tier orchestral musicians, the conductor, the studio technicians etc who recorded these tracks deserve to be paid. Warner Bros, as the publishers who fronted those costs, also have every right to recoup their money by selling the tracks online. And most of deserving of all is Williams who is entitled to his writer's share whenever recordings like this are made of his music. 

For what it's worth, they're pretty good recordings. 

Not complaining - I listened and liked these:  but I do wonder why they went through the trouble of re-recording these instead of just licensing the original recordings - since they were recorded in London, reuse fees wouldn’t be exorbitant.

Yeah it's interesting. It's not like they skimped on the orchestra; the Synchron Stage players are very good and the recording is pristine. They could easily have gone with a lower-quality option if they wanted a cheap re-recording. But who knows how expensive licensing the originals is, there could be any number of caveats in the original contracts. Maybe they just wanted newer recordings to celebrate the franchise? I'm not complaining either - as long as orchestral musicians are still getting work recording high-quality compositions it's a good thing.

• 6 months later...

I realise this is not really a question for the JWFan audience, but does anyone have any idea why a professional agency suddenly decided to provide the unauthorised extended cuts of movies 3 and 4 (so far) with audio description? Did some streaming service suddenly get the rights to these or something? I'm 100% positive these are not the fan edits that have been floating around for ages online.

4 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I realise this is not really a question for the JWFan audience, but does anyone have any idea why a professional agency suddenly decided to provide the unauthorised extended cuts of movies 3 and 4 (so far) with audio description? Did some streaming service suddenly get the rights to these or something? I'm 100% positive these are not the fan edits that have been floating around for ages online.

where is this at? They’re not exactly unauthorized if these are the ABC Family TV versions. WB released those versions of 1 and 2 on blu-ray so they had to approve of them in some fashion.

No idea where they originally came from, but I just checked 3 and 4 and they're definitely the ABC versions. Here's hoping this means something physical is in the works, I'd love to buy 3 and 4 extended for the shelf.

11 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

No idea where they originally came from, but I just checked 3 and 4 and they're definitely the ABC versions. Here's hoping this means something physical is in the works, I'd love to buy 3 and 4 extended for the shelf.

Very interesting indeed.

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Daniel Radcliffe To EP Doc About His Stunt Double Left Paralyzed After ‘Deathly Hallows’ Accident

Daniel Radcliffe is exec producing a documentary about his former stunt double who was left paralyzed following an accident on the Harry Potter set.

Sky and HBO Documentary Films are behind David Holmes: The Boy Who Lived, the coming-of-age story of a prodigious teenage gymnast who formed an inextricable bond with Harry Potter star Radcliffe.

Holmes was working on Deathly Hallows: Part 1 when an explosion that was part of a planned stunt sent him plummeting to the ground, leaving him paralyzed from the chest down with a debilitating spinal injury that turned his life upside down.

Featuring candid personal footage shot over the last decade, behind-the-scenes material from Holmes’ stunt work, scenes of his current life and intimate interviews with him, Radcliffe, friends, family, and former crew, the film reflects universal themes of living with adversity, growing up and the bonds that bind people together.

Pretty nice attitude of Radcliff! It's cool to see that the HP kids grew up to become decent adults.

• 3 weeks later...

I watched the documentary about David Holmes, Daniel Radcliffe’s stunt double. It’s very good, but is a pretty heavy story to be honest. Fair play to poor guy for making the best out of a horrific situation. Radcliffe comes across very well. He seems like a genuinely good person.

• 3 months later...