Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

John Crichton

Cue the Celeste as Potterdom: Book II opens lol

So guys, what are your thoughts on all the people on youtube writing their own scores for DH? I've heard some of it... honestly... most of it is well done, obvious talent, but lacking in spark. It all kinda sounds very...hollywood

Cue the Celeste as Potterdom: Book II opens lol

So guys, what are your thoughts on all the people on youtube writing their own scores for DH? I've heard some of it... honestly... most of it is well done, obvious talent, but lacking in spark. It all kinda sounds very...hollywood

Link?

Hmm, I wrote a piece for Dobby's burial a couple years ago. Maybe I should go back, polish it a little and upload it.

Dobby...........d-d-d-d-d-d-d-d-dies? Thanks.

He dies?????!! Thanks for ruining my ENTIRE life!!! What's Toby Jones going to do now?

After all, it's only been three years...

According to members here that excuse doesn't work.

Maybe some people just don't like reading books. I know plenty of Potter fans who only care for the movies and never touched the novels.

John Williams HAS to do Part 2.

he has something with threes, but lets face it, he loves birds too. Main theme from PS? Hedwig's. from COS? Fawkes'. Great cue from POA? Buckbeak's.

He has to score THE bird death in the final film. It is his destiny.

Unless that happens on part one :lol:

I envision the bird going splat in the final film. The composer choice is thus perfect.

I hear the next one will be re-named Harry Potter Part VIII: Voldemort Takes Manhattan.

Nah. I think the word "America" shows up exactly once in the entire saga. Now if Voldemort Takes Manhattan Chowder, I'll give you that one.

Unless that happens on part one :lol:

That's very early in part one, yes. ;)

Boy does Draco look sexy lol

I actually wrote some themes and stuff for my own vision of HP7, since we're on the topic...

The second half of this cue utilizes the new "Lonelyness" Theme I came up with for them as they travel and stuff...

If you all wanna hear it:

Boy does Draco look sexy lol

I actually wrote some themes and stuff for my own vision of HP7, since we're on the topic...

The second half of this cue utilizes the new "Lonelyness" Theme I came up with for them as they travel and stuff...

Yeah, I like it too.. a lot! :P Nice to hear a familiar theme again (besides Hedwig's) - and he Loneliness theme is good. In my option :)

Planing on writing and uploading some more? ;)

So he wrote that first?! That's soo...weird...and COOL!

I know he read the book first and was moved so much by it that he pursued the movie. If i recall...spielberg was attached to it for some time which i'm sure led to Williams' involvement...like in Geisha...

But still... wow...

I guess that it made enough of an impact on him that he felt, even in the void, he could write... I guess sorta like what I'm doing with DH.

On that note, I'd actually started writing a concert suite of Lovegood's theme heh

I dunno if any of you had posted in the thread, but maybe a year ago there was a thread about "dream" track lists for films and I had written mine for Deathly Hallows. That's kinda what i'm going by.

I know it's already been done, but when I read the last harry potter, I heard the score in my mind and I knew exactly how I wanted it to sound, where the new themes should be, what scenes need some music, where the montages would be, and where old themes would return.

You may not want to look at this if you've not read it:

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows:

01) Main Title (Distant Memory's) *New Theme

02) The Durlsey's Depart

03) Becoming Harry/ Frightening Flight *Hedwigs theme is used partially

04) Ominous Arrivals

05) The Wedding

06) Patronus Interruptus/ Dissaparation

07) The Diner Attack

08) A Place to Hide

09) Distant Memories (Reprise) *The New Theme

10) The Horcrux *New Theme

11) Plans for the Ministry *montage

12) Magic is Might

13) Escape from the Ministry

14) Visions of the Past *Second new Theme

15) The Deathly Hallows / The two carry on *New Teme

16) The Graveyard *A Window to Time Past

17) The House/ Deception

18) Quiet Travels (Traveling Montage) * New Theme

18) The Patronus/ The Sword of Griffindor

Disc 2

01) Xenophilius Lovegood

02) The Three Brothers/ Treachery *New Theme

03) Exploding Horns

04) Harry, No!

05) Bellatrix and Malfoy

06) House Elf Rescue * Dobby the House Elf Theme

07) The Funeral

08) Harry's Thoughts * New Theme

09) Going for Greengotts

10) Being Bellatrix

11) The Elevator Ride/ Rush for the Cup

12) Escape by Dragons Flight

13) Hogsmede

14) Dumbledore's Army * Reprise from Order

15) Ravenclaw Tower

16) The Sacking of Severus Snape

17) Evacuating the School

18) Ghosts of the School

19) The Diadem of Ravenclaw * new theme

20) The Attack on Hogwarts

21) Severus' Gift

22) Harry Potter's Stand

Disc 3

01) Kings Cross

02) The Final Horcux

03) The Battle for Hogwarts I

04) The Battle for Hogwarts II

05) The Final Showdown * Voldemorts Theme

06) The Peeve's Song/ Victory

07) The Deathly Hallows Final Resting place

08) Nineteen Years Latter

09) The Train to Hogwarts

10) End Credits (Hedwigs Theme)

11) Distant Memories (Concert Suite)

12) Horcux Concert Suite

13) Xenophilias Lovegood (Concert Suite)

14) Harry's Wonderous World

So the new themes would be

01) Distant Memoris

02) Alone in the World

03) Horcux Theme

Does Draco play a very major role in the last book?

Fairly major. It's kind of a side story, but he has his own struggle going on parallel to Harry's. It's a continuation of the HBP storyline. I'd be surprised if he had more lines in DH Part 1 or Part 2 than he had in HBP.

There was an awesome tracklist posted by MattyO in mid-2009 that features track descriptions and makes you extremly excited for the scores, and of course, the possibility of Johnny returning. Warning, spoilers...

1. Dark Lord Ascending and Avada Kedavra! (Hedwig’s Theme) (contains Hedwig's Theme, Dark Forces theme)

2. Grievances (Dumbledore’s Hymn) (new thematic material, with traces of Fawkes the Phoenix)

3. The Chosen One (Harry’s Theme) (new thematic material intertwined with Window to the Past and original Family theme)

4. Dark Forces (Voldemort’s Theme) (new material based around PS Voldemort/Tom Riddle theme, also represents Death Eaters)

5. The Raging War (new material: action piece accompanying a montage of the wizarding world at war)

6. The Seven Potters (new material: action piece for airborne fight with Death Eaters and Voldemort, contains Hedwig's theme (action version), Dark Forces theme)

7. Fallen Heroes (new material, quiet reflective piece for remembering Mad-Eye and Hedwig (might contain Hedwig's theme)

8. Ministry Uprising (new material for scene involving Voldemort's infiltration of the ministry, containing Dark Forces theme and a new Ministry motif)

9. The Master of Death (a haunting version of Hedwig's theme with Window to the Past and Deathly Hallows motif)

10. Horcruxes (contains a deconstructed Dark Forces theme)

11. Wedding Bells (a short, soft piece highlighting happiness within darkness)

12. Kreacher (a dark take on Dobby the House-Elf, with a new motif for Regulus (and Sirius) and Dark Forces theme)

13. Confrontation with Lupin (short piece featuring original Family theme on French Horn)

14. Return to the Ministry (accompanying the Ministry scenes, with refrences to Hooper's Umbridge theme and Williams' own Ministry motif (action styled))

15. Ron’s Departure (tension building piece, deconstructing the Family/Friendship theme from PS)

16. Godric’s Hollow (Full representation of Window to the Past, then Dark Forces development as Nagini attacks - nice, scary transition from Family theme to Voldemort's theme as Harry traces out the events of his parent's murders)

17. Help from a Silver Doe and Destroying the Locket (mainly new material, a new motif for the appearance of the Doe which is revealed in Part II to be the Prince's (Snape's) theme), then heroic fanfare of Friendship theme as Ron saves Harry)

18. Dark Times Ahead and End Credits (Part I) (Main statement of Friendship theme and Window to the Past as trio decide to stick together to the end, abruptly changing to Dark Forces theme as they are captured - ends on a depressing note. Into End Credits: Dark Forces theme, Window to the Past Reprise (Ministry motif intertwined), into action Hedwig's theme to original PS Hedwig's theme for conclusion.)

1. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part II (Overture/Main Title for the second film: dark, haunting Hedwig's Theme with The Chosen One)

2. The Lovegoods and The Hallows (new material featuring Hallows theme and motif for Xenophilius Lovegood)

3. Voldemort’s Lair (new material for Malfoy Manor sequence, featuring Dark Forces theme and Bellatrix motif)

4. Here Lies a Free Elf (hymn-like reprise of Dobby the House-Elf)

5. Ollivander’s Theory (celesta Hedwig's theme reminding us of first encounter with Ollivander in PS, then new motif for the Elder Wand/Grindelwald)

6. Dungeons and Dragons (Gringott's action sequence, mainly new material with Bellatrix motif - refrain from Hedwig's theme and new flying theme at the end for Dragon escape)

7. Albus Dumbledore (reprise of Dumbledore's Hymn with darker undertones for Albus' secrets - maybe Hooper's In Noctem from HBP could appear)

8. Grindelwald (action sequence of Dumbledore's epic duel with Grindelwald, featuring new Elder Wand/Grindelwald motif and Dumbledore's theme - action styled)

9. Harry and Snape (The Sacking of Severus Snape scene, with Dark Forces interpolated with still unnamed Prince theme)

10. Gathering Darkness (Voldemort's forces conspiring outside the gates of Hogwarts, mainly a Dark Forces reprise on an epic scale with lots of choir and a statement of The Chosen One for the rebellion against Voldemort)

11. The Battle of Hogwarts (a ten-minute extravaganza of leitmotif accomplishment - everything gets a reprise: plenty of Dark Forces, action Hedwig's theme, the original Hogwarts theme, Chamber of Secrets, Dumbledore's theme, The Chosen One, The Prince's theme)

12. Castle Chase (individual battles amongst characters and destruction of final horcruxes, reprises of character motifs - Bellatrix, Horcruxes, Master of Death (Hallows motif))

13. The Prince’s Last Words (full statement of The Prince's theme, I'm thinking something like The Chairman's Waltz from Memoirs, tortured but poetic and Voldemort's theme as Snape is swiftly dealt with and a triumphant fanfare of the Elder Wand motif as Voldemort thinks he has won)

14. Snape’s Memories (restatement of The Prince's theme, more tortured than ever, then various appearances of both family themes and Harry's theme, intermingled with The Prince's theme as Harry realises who Snape is)

15. Acceptance (a hymn-like version of Harry's theme, soft and emotionally charged - I imagine nothing but music in this scene, everything else is silent as Harry walks towards the forest knowing what has to be done, surveying the dead)

16. Not Quite Death (Dumbledore's theme, Harry's theme and both family themes with Hedwig's theme at the end as Harry returns to earth)

17. The Boy Who Lived (Dark Forces theme as Voldemort announces his triumph, then the most heroic fanfare of Hedwig's theme as Harry reveals himself and the war continues, a brief statement of the Horcrux motif as Neville kills Nagini)

18. Duel with the Dark Lord (a musical duel between Voldemort's theme and Harry's theme - good versus evil, with Voldemort's theme eventually being overpowered by Harry's theme and finally Harry's theme in a blaze of brass glory)

19. Finale and End Credits (Part II) (Aftermath scene involving the family/friendship themes, Harry's theme, Hogwarts theme, then the Epilogue scene with the original PS Family theme and into the End Credits, with restatements of every major theme from both Deathly Hallows films - it should be monumental!)

20. Hedwig’s Theme (Reprise) (The original PS Hedwig's theme unaltered for nostalgic purposes)

Nicely done, GoodMusician! ;) Your use of celeste really made it that much clearer that Williams NEEDS to come back for the last part...or at least Desplat needs to pay some pretty direct homage to the first score. Nothing screams "THE END IS NEAR" more than bringing back a musical element that's been used less in the middle.

Impressive. Most impressive.

thanks for all the support guys! I've honestly been afraid most of what you all would think. Being William's fans, we expect a high level of professionalism and perfection lol... not to mention being harry potter fans, that's a whole other level of expectation.

Maybe i should make a thread about it... I think i will as not to pollute this thread...

IMDB's page for Part One shows the final one-sheet poster. It's the same poster image featuring the trio running in the forest, but now features the film's full title, the tagline "Nowhere is Safe", plus the cast & crew listing. And what's even better -- none of that slanted logo mess WB did with HBP and the DVD/Blu-ray Ultimate Edition releases.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm706774528/tt0926084

There's a 99% chance this will be the CD soundtrack cover too, with the subtitle "Music Composed and Conducted by Alexandre Desplat."