Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

John Crichton

• 2 weeks later...

That's pretty bizarre.

In the book, Snape dies in a small enclosed space with only two witnesses, Nagini and Harry. However, that "out of sight" aspect of the scene allows Harry to get Snape's memories without anyone noticing...I don't remember if he's under the cloak or not.

Placing the scene in a new-to-the-grounds crystal house (maybe Nagini's personal snake shack) would allow people to view the event from across the battlefield. Is this so that the Hogwarts defenders as well as Voldemort's army can watch Snape die? What's the point? Harry would still have to use the cloak in order to get his memories, but any motion of a dying Snape extracting memories would look very suspicious.

• 4 weeks later...

Someone posted these on FSM and they are really interesting. I'm only posting my two favorites because that's the maximum one post allows, but here they are. You can find the rest on the original FSM link, which I'll post at the end...

Williams and Cuaron talk about The Knight Bus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUwWXT5IGVM

Williams and Cuaron talk about Double Trouble (at the end of the clip) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qzqBoqlndI

Original FSM link: http://www.filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=76196&forumID=1&archive=0

Enjoy! :)

Cuaron and Williams ... Oh what could have been!

Oh I wish to hear JW's score for some other director than Spielberg. Someone that could actually push him somewhere. But that is highly unlikely now... The last time he's done something like this was for Cuaron and Parker and look how it turned out. And yes, I'm aware of Chris Columbus's but that's hardly anything surprising.

I guess the chances of him working with Ridley Scott are second to none. Pity, Prometheus could be a perfect opportunity...

Karol

• 1 month later...

I think this movie actually has a lot LESS to worry about. I really don't think the movies have raised any questions within themselves that haven't already been answered or won't be answered in this film. Sure, there are plenty of things that happen through the course of the movies that don't make any sense when viewed apart from the books, but that's not quite the same as raising a specific question and then leaving it completely open-ended. Going into Part II, most people just want to see Ron and Hermione kiss, find out if Snape's bad or good, and see Harry destroy the rest of the Horcruxes and defeat Voldemort. To that end, the movie will probably be a success in the "tying up loose ends" department.

I really don't think the movies have raised any questions within themselves that haven't already been answered or won't be answered in this film.

<=>

Sure, there are plenty of things that happen through the course of the movies that don't make any sense when viewed apart from the books

I think this movie actually has a lot LESS to worry about. I really don't think the movies have raised any questions within themselves that haven't already been answered or won't be answered in this film. Sure, there are plenty of things that happen through the course of the movies that don't make any sense when viewed apart from the books, but that's not quite the same as raising a specific question and then leaving it completely open-ended. Going into Part II, most people just want to see Ron and Hermione kiss, find out if Snape's bad or good, and see Harry destroy the rest of the Horcruxes and defeat Voldemort. To that end, the movie will probably be a success in the "tying up loose ends" department.

I agree. Whereas the books raise a lot of questions in the hundreds of pages that never made it to the big screen, the movies are pretty straightforward plot-wise. If something from the books was important to the plot, it was called out in the movies. If it was irrelevant, it was largely ignored.

I think this movie actually has a lot LESS to worry about.

I don't know about you, but for starters, it worries me significantly that all the trailers from the film show Harry and Voldemort confronting each other in various places in Hogwarts, when in fact they only confront once within the school, in the Great Hall (which they seem to interpret a bit too freely).

I don't know about you, but for starters, it worries me significantly that all the trailers from the film show Harry and Voldemort confronting each other in various places in Hogwarts, when in fact they only confront once within the school, in the Great Hall (which they seem to interpret a bit too freely).

I'm glad they're expanding the finale. I waited ten years to see...harry and tom crap talk each other and have a 16 second fight? Lameness.

It doesn't look like they're in various places, to me. It looks like the only changes they've made are that it won't be in front of everybody watching, and they'll be in the courtyard instead of the Great Hall. As far as I can tell, the ending of the film is going to go like this:

In the ABC preview, you can see Ginny yelling "NO!" in the courtyard, which is probably when Voldemort returns from the forest with "dead" Harry, so I'm guessing that scene will play out much like the book, with Neville killing the snake there and the battle resuming with everyone moving back into the Great Hall, leaving Harry's body in the middle of the courtyard. Then instead of Voldemort following everyone inside like the book, he'll sneak off into that little hideaway by the courtyard, and Harry will follow inside and confront him. Then they'll have that little "Why do you live?/Because I have something worth living for" spat in there, and as Harry's revealing everything about Snape and the Elder Wand and whatnot, they'll move back into the courtyard and have that final duel. And this'll probably be intercut with scenes from the battle going on inside, since Julie Walters and Helena Bonham Carter both confirmed that they filmed Mrs. Weasley and Bellatrix's duel.

Deleted scene from Part 1:

Some of it may throw off people unfamiliar with the book, but it's a beautiful scene for those who have. It wouldn't have worked in the "Obliviate" montage, but still.

Ohhh, I agree that deleted scene is great. I love how ambiguous Rowling's characters are. You can't really peg any of them as entirely good or evil, with the possible exception of Voldemort. I wish more of that had made it into the films, although the biggest character revelation won't arrive until DH P2.

It wouldn't have worked in the "Obliviate" montage, but still.

I do enjoy the scene, and I agree that it wouldn't have worked in the montage. I think it is the perfect example of when a "deleted scene" works as a deleted scene.

you can peg Ron, Hermione, and Harry as not evil. Flawed yes, evil no.

that was a nice scene, I'd like to see Dudley's goodbye

It wouldn't have worked in the "Obliviate" montage, but still.

I do enjoy the scene, and I agree that it wouldn't have worked in the montage. I think it is the perfect example of when a "deleted scene" works as a deleted scene.

I think the scene would've worked better right before the montage. It'd make the juxtaposition between Scrimgeour's press statement and Hermione wiping her parents' memory more effective.

That's exactly what I'm saying. They are not entirely evil, but they are also not entirely good.

That's exactly what I'm saying. They are not entirely evil, but they are also not entirely good.

no, Harry, Hermione and Ron are not evil at all. Not a bit.

today the Deathly Hallows played to a Chicago crowd, as predicted.

still waiting on reactions.