John Crichton

Potterdom Film/Score Series Thread

On 6/26/2019 at 5:07 AM, Fabulin said:

When I was a child, I thought that if the main characters are running to a bombastic melody, then that is the main theme by merit. No confusion whatsoever.

When I was child, I thought the candy that's pill-shaped might be healthy 4 me.

I'm the inverse of that in that I got fed-up with Harry Potter early on ("oh, good, another movie of Harry going back to school, there'll be a mystery of some sort, Snape will seem like a bad guy but turn out not to be..."). Having rediscovered it as a film-savvy adult, I did find a lot of merit in at least some of the entries.

I still really, really love Order of the Phoenix. Terrific film.

It was only on a rewatch that I just found myself really into it. It isn't perfect or anything. It doesn't have Cuaron's inventive camerawork, either, but it also doesn't feel directed, and the narrative has a much, much stronger sense of heft. Of all the young adults films that have come before and since, I think it quite possibly captured teen angst best.

Or maybe it was that, knowing how the story ends, I really felt that ending when Voldemort tells Harry that he "will lose everything." That line really landed with a thud.

Talking about it almost makes me want to watch it right now.

41 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

It was only on a rewatch that I just found myself really into it. It isn't perfect or anything. It doesn't have Cuaron's inventive camerawork, either, but it also doesn't feel directed, and the narrative has a much, much stronger sense of heft. Of all the young adults films that have come before and since, I think it quite possibly captured teen angst best.

Or maybe it was that, knowing how the story ends, I really felt that ending when Voldemort tells Harry that he "will lose everything." That line really landed with a thud.

Talking about it almost makes me want to watch it right now.

What did you think about the score? Ever since I started really paying attention to film music Hooper's music actually annoyed me.

On 8/9/2019 at 6:22 AM, Chen G. said:

Michael Goldenberg had a much better sense of what to throw out and it feels more faithful to the spirit of the novel. Steve Kloves was married to keeping certain stuff and giving other people's lines to Hermione.

Don’t know about that: I don’t remember the book - I’m judging it strictly as a movie. I think the story - which has death, possession, and the prospect of Harry being like Voldemort - just has more stakes.

On 8/9/2019 at 12:19 PM, bollemanneke said:

OOTP is an interesting choice. It's my least favourite book/movie.

I think movies 6 and especially 8 are worse than it. Least favourite book... probably, yeah. It's where Rowling lost the storyline (or didn't want to go into the Horcruxes that early) and had to revert back to the misheard/misunderstood prophecy thing. A bit too long. I'm conflicted on angsty/angry Harry because while it gets really annoying, it's pretty much completely justified. The lovey dovey with Cho is worse.

:pukeface:

None of the Potters are very good films, doubly so when you take into account what they were trying (or in the case of 8, were they?) to adapt.

48 minutes ago, Thekthithm said:

I remember enjoying the book because it was less plotty than the other ones and more character driven. It rambled a bit though.

6 is basically waiting game the book. It has the least plot out of the novels. And what plot there is, is very simple and basic.

She essentially was just running out the clock with that book, lining up the dominos for book 7. 

It's a good book for what it is.

4 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

6 is basically waiting game the book. It has the least plot out of the novels. And what plot there is, is very simple and basic.

She essentially was just running out the clock with that book, lining up the dominos for book 7. 

It's a good book for what it is.

I was talking about 5.

21 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

6 is basically waiting game the book

The film, also, has this sense of being the quiet before the storm. But its an eerie quiet, which makes for a surprisingly compelling piece of cinema.

24 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

The film, also, has this sense of being the quiet before the storm. But its an eerie quiet, which makes for a surprisingly compelling piece of cinema.

Indeed. Nyt review called the sense of dread "Miltonian" which is an apt characterization. 

I think it is the most successful in the back half (last 3 books of the series).