Star Wars Prequel Music Resource (part 2)

John Crichton

I played "The Clone Wars." I remember very clearly that the music was taken right from the CDs.

it may be better quality/alternate takes or something

As I said, it's worth checking.

EDIT: It was indeed all album material, but as I said it was worth checking it to be sure. And it was a good excercise in learning to rip a video game.

BTW, another thing I forgot to ask... Anakin's Dark Deeds. Is the album correct or the video game version correct?

Neither, according to the sheet music in that set. :P The score calls for a lot of timpani stuff, sometimes doing exactly what the big drums do in the film version, but sometimes doing other stuff that can't be heard in either version. And I think I can hear the big drums in the OST version, just mixed very low...so who knows what Williams wanted.

I figured as much when there was stark differences between the volume of the drums in the album and in the game (with some drum hits absent in both the film and album).

Neither, according to the sheet music in that set. :P The score calls for a lot of timpani stuff, sometimes doing exactly what the big drums do in the film version, but sometimes doing other stuff that can't be heard in either version. And I think I can hear the big drums in the OST version, just mixed very low...so who knows what Williams wanted.

There were also a lot of cues in Episode I that initially featured heavier percussion: "The Tide Turns," "Anakin Defeats Sebulba" ... Williams probably changed his mind at the podium, or in the mixing booth. Cues like "Padme's Ruminations" suggest Williams was at least attempting to compose in a modern aesthetic - maybe drum overdubs also reflect that. I don't believe he's used them in many scores before the prequels. To be clear, I'm not suggesting that the maestro had no clue what he was doing, but just that things can get very complicated in mixing and recording. My guess is that the sound wasn't quite what he anticipated.

So which one is right? Um... both.

The drums in the OST in "Anakin's Dark Deeds" definitely can be heard but as you said they're mixed very low. I used the film version mix from the games (minus the obvious overdubbed stuff in between).

Edit: I noticed too a lot of the film mixes for certain cues bring out a lot more instruments than what's heard on the OST. For example in "Heroes Collide" after the first statement of the Imperial March when Sidious uses the lightning on Yoda and it cuts back to Obi-Wan and Anakin fighting, there's a big chime that comes in that's clear as day. However, on the OST the chime is mixed to the point of barely being heard.

I actually wonder how much of the film score was overdubs. I mean, in the film, we have a section of Boys into Battle without any percussion (expect for the timpani roll intro stolen from the End Credits), and we have I Am the Senate with a pitched-up loop that also lacks any percussion. I wouldn't be surprised if the snares and cymbals were recorded separately.

I'm pretty sure most or all of the percussion in ROTS was recorded separately.

It was, I remember the old Hyperspace (Star Wars.com) report saying they did record the percussion separately.

I think most percussion was intended (IE the snares and cymbals in Boys into Battle, the percussion in Moving Things Along) but some things were probably suggested by Lucas, like the Japanese drum overdubs in Boys into Battle and They're Coming Around.

I think most percussion was intended (IE the snares and cymbals in Boys into Battle, the percussion in Moving Things Along) but some things were probably suggested by Lucas, like the Japanese drum overdubs in Boys into Battle and They're Coming Around.

Could easily be. IIRC, George Lucas was talking about wanting "a more Asian sound" in the AOTC 'making of' video, with the Chase Through Coruscant being recorded.

• 4 weeks later...

Most likely, although considering we did get some unreleased Indiana Jones cues in the LEGO Indiana Jones games, I wouldn't discount the possibility entirely - remember that some missions will be straight from Attack of the Clones so maybe we get some more of the music from there... who knows?

most likely it will use music from the show and (seeing as no OST for the show exists) will have unreleased music from it, if only they dont stick with just williams and the movie OST

That is an incorrect assumption - the show also recycles a lot of the Clone Wars movie music so that will probably feature most prominently.

the only recycled movie music i heard was the music for conversations with the chancellor in his office, and the Main Title (only from the second season on tho, before that they were variations)

Eh, it all sounds the same to me... probably because it's made using the East West Symphonic Orchestra program instead of a live orchestra.

actually it has about 40% prague in the movie and about 60% in the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNvoJFfOBXw the strings (violins or whatever) sound a bit too realistic for EWSO

as for the variations: compare this main title to the one on the movie OST: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVWxO3YVmLA

actually it has about 40% prague in the movie and about 60% in the show: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNvoJFfOBXw the strings (violins or whatever) sound a bit too realistic for EWSO

What these sort of 'composers' often do is record the strings and brass live, with perhaps a few ethnic instruments thrown in - then have everything else sampled.

ugh, i'm appalled of what i saw and have to vent somewhere.

I noticed that somehow the opening crawl of SW ANH in spanish is completely screwed!

The text is too long so when 'far text music' is playing the 3 paragraph is still crawling! They even have to speed up the last paragraph...

NEVER noticed this. Maybe its on the DVD version (not familiar enough yet) and not in the VHS?

The other 5 films have no issue

I feel raped somehow :lol:

actually it has about 40% prague in the movie and about 60% in the show: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MNvoJFfOBXw the strings (violins or whatever) sound a bit too realistic for EWSO

What these sort of 'composers' often do is record the strings and brass live, with perhaps a few ethnic instruments thrown in - then have everything else sampled.

Why so contemptuous? If "only" the brass and strings are recorded live, that sounds damned good to me, for a TV budget.

• 3 weeks later...

I thought I'd report that while re-doing my Attack Of The Clones edit, the first three cues I did were "Dooku Vs. Obi-Wan", "Dooku Vs. Anakin" and "Yoda Strikes Back". The opening of "Dooku Vs. Anakin" after the opening drum roll before it goes into the music from the Battlefront 2 file was tracked from "The Chase (aka The Chase Through Coruscant)". The music that plays right when Dooku strikes Obi-Wan down. All this time I had remembered hearing this piece before but never could place it until now.

Of course with that bit of tracked music from Chase Through Coruscant the percussion wasn't there that we hear in the original OST cue. So that stands to assume they recorded the percussion separately like in ROTS. It also makes me wonder what original music might have gone in the place of the tracked music.

Could someone tell me what cue from Attack of the Clones played during Galactic Conquest screen from Star Wars Battlefront 2? IIRC, It was a martial interpretation of the Across the Stars theme.

actually it has about 40% prague in the movie and about 60% in the show: http://www.youtube.c...h?v=MNvoJFfOBXw the strings (violins or whatever) sound a bit too realistic for EWSO

Why so contemptuous? If "only" the brass and strings are recorded live, that sounds damned good to me, for a TV budget.

I just hate sample libraries. Sorry.

Could someone tell me what cue from Attack of the Clones played during Galactic Conquest screen from Star Wars Battlefront 2? IIRC, It was a martial interpretation of the Across the Stars theme.

Hmmm, that's not ringing a bell. But I don't have the game with me right now, so I can't check.

And you blame the composers for the budgets they are given?

Hmmm, that's not ringing a bell. But I don't have the game with me right now, so I can't check.

??

Unless it is the Finale i dont have a clue what would sound like that.

This?: http://www.youtube.c...YE&feature=fvsr

That music was from in fact "Across The Stars", then it goes into "Moving Forward" from TPM.

I think it was reported they just used recycled material from the OST's for the first Battlefront game, no previously unreleased material was in that game.

Oh, that's just the middle of the "Across the Stars" concert suite. Also heard in the end credits, I believe. Then it cuts to the music that plays in TPM while the group is returning to Naboo. I don't know the original cue titles for any of these, sadly.

I thought I'd report that while re-doing my Attack Of The Clones edit, the first three cues I did were "Dooku Vs. Obi-Wan", "Dooku Vs. Anakin" and "Yoda Strikes Back". The opening of "Dooku Vs. Anakin" after the opening drum roll before it goes into the music from the Battlefront 2 file was tracked from "The Chase (aka The Chase Through Coruscant)". The music that plays right when Dooku strikes Obi-Wan down. All this time I had remembered hearing this piece before but never could place it until now.

Of course with that bit of tracked music from Chase Through Coruscant the percussion wasn't there that we hear in the original OST cue. So that stands to assume they recorded the percussion separately like in ROTS. It also makes me wonder what original music might have gone in the place of the tracked music.

I knew this already. But here you are wrong about the percussion. In fact, that is the clean opening for The Chase part 1 (Zam the Assassin does have a clean ending, with the timpani and cymbal roll there, and this little snippet, BTW, is simply pitch-shifted in the End Credits as a transition from the TPM end credits to the Across the Stars concert Suite. Said clean ending can be heard in TFU2 somewhere, but it's useless because they've overlapped it with otehr stuff, but I definitely know it's not a reverbed ending, before you ask). We still lack the clean opening for part 2 (but we do have the clean ending for part 1).

As to whether there was original music, I don't know. It's possible that was what the three timpani hits tracked all over the place were for.

I knew this already. But here you are wrong about the percussion. In fact, that is the clean opening for The Chase part 1 (Zam the Assassin does have a clean ending, with the timpani and cymbal roll there, and this little snippet, BTW, is simply pitch-shifted in the End Credits as a transition from the TPM end credits to the Across the Stars concert Suite. Said clean ending can be heard in TFU2 somewhere, but it's useless because they've overlapped it with otehr stuff, but I definitely know it's not a reverbed ending, before you ask). We still lack the clean opening for part 2 (but we do have the clean ending for part 1).

As to whether there was original music, I don't know. It's possible that was what the three timpani hits tracked all over the place were for.

Huh interesting about Zam The Assassin having a clean ending, guess I didn't pay too much attention to the TFU 2 files.

I did mention it's useless as it's overlapped with other stuff. It can be heard in TFU "397 - PC_mxRX2_jwOverlay07" but they overlapped it with a cymbal and the "Chasing Dooku" Droid Fight tracking. As I also said, the same small bit is used in the End Credits suite to bridge the TPM End credits take with Across the Stars, but it's pitch-shifted.

EDIT: Can also be heard in TFU2 "920926622.ogg_conv" but they've layered a reverbed note from Rolling with Grievous over the top. :(

I did mention it's useless as it's overlapped with other stuff. It can be heard in TFU "397 - PC_mxRX2_jwOverlay07" but they overlapped it with a cymbal and the "Chasing Dooku" Droid Fight tracking. As I also said, the same small bit is used in the End Credits suite to bridge the TPM End credits take with Across the Stars, but it's pitch-shifted.

EDIT: Can also be heard in TFU2 "920926622.ogg_conv" but they've layered a reverbed note from Rolling with Grievous over the top. :(

Thanks for the information. I hate when they layer other material over vital notes that we need...

And you blame the composers for the budgets they are given?

I blame them for just not making do with a smaller ensemble, as in the 'ol days.

That music was from in fact "Across The Stars", then it goes into "Moving Forward" from TPM.

I think it was reported they just used recycled material from the OST's for the first Battlefront game, no previously unreleased material was in that game.

Cheers, that's it. Many thanks folks! (Y)

While on the Battlefront subject, I must say I do love the different cues they used in Battlefront 2, especially while playing as a hero/sith. Definitely part of the reason that game is so awesome.

• 2 weeks later...

None thus far. =/ There might be a few official cue titles floating around, but the only one I can think of that I know is definitely correct is "End Credit" (singular, not plural), which starts with the major chord strings right before the love theme starts. (Apparently, Williams didn't see any need to re-record the first part of the credits, so they just tracked it in from TPM.)

Source: some book that has a scan of the first page of that score. Don't remember the title. :P

I guess there won't be any new music for a long time.

In the meantime don't really care about all the drum overlays discussions.

Wow...thank you so much! eek.gif EDIT: I like how "End Credits" shows up with a plural, not a singular, contradicting what I said. :lol: Goes to show how these little things can vary from document to document.